If you're thinking of popping the question, picking the right engagement ring can be a pretty daunting task. Thankfully, we're on hand to make this exciting decision a lot easier.
As well as your partner's preferred style and taste, an important factor to consider are engagement ring trends and, according to Laura Lambert, founder of jewellery brand Fenton, coloured engagement rings should definitely be on your radar.
She says, "It's been a year of reflection for many of us, with the desire of re-focus on what really matters. The idea of the 'traditional diamond engagement ring' has been replaced with something more unique, fun and individualistic that really bring meaning to your forever piece. Be it choosing your birthstone, favourite colour or bespoke design!"
That's not to say a colourful engagement ring will go out of style. "Colour is forever something that lifts us from a period of greyness and it isn't different when it comes to choosing our perfect ring," Laura adds. In fact, celebrities have favoured coloured engagement rings for years. From the Duchess of Cambridge's iconic blue sapphire to Katy Perry's playful ruby sparkler, candy coloured engagement rings are unique yet timeless.
Ready to start the search? Whether it's chic yellow diamonds, pretty peridot or elegant emerald you've taken a shine to, get inspired with our round-up of the 35 best colourful engagement rings for 2021 that are guaranteed to be just as popular in years to come.
- Your Ultimate Guide to Buying an Engagement Ring
- 35 Dazzling Emerald Engagement Rings
- The Best Birthstone Engagement Rings
NB: We have included third party products to help you navigate and enjoy life’s biggest moments. Purchases made through links on this page may earn us a commission.
1. Teresa 22k Yellow Gold Vermeil Green Amethyst and Oro Verde Engagement Ring - £450, Dinny Hall
Crafted from 22k yellow gold, green amethyst and oro verde, this engagement ring by Dinny Hall is a beautiful and affordable option for a proposal. The trilogy arrangement keeps the style classic, while the colours ensure this is a stand-out piece.
2. Caura Pink Sapphire Engagement Ring - £2,560, Rachel Boston
Rachel Boston incorporates colourful stones into her rings in an elegant and understated way. We adore the incredibly pretty Caura ring with a pink marquise sapphire centre and triangular diamond surrounding.
3. Cushion Shaped Sapphire and Diamond Engagement Ring - £3,150, Sophie Breitmeyer
The ever popular halo diamond style engagement ring is here to stay but this ring by Sophie Breitmeyer has given it a colourful upgrade in the form of a Sri Lankan blue sapphire. Reminiscent of the Duchess of Cambridge's ring, this is a royally good pick for a fraction of the price of Kate's.
4. Star Cushion Ruby 18kt Yellow Gold Engagement Ring - from £3,150, Fenton
Fenton are a winner when it comes to engagement rings as their styles are easily customisable to suit your partner's taste. We love this ruby star engagement ring but you can opt for a number of designs including garland, vintage and solitaire.
5. Four Stone Sapphire Engagement Ring with Granules - from £2,200, Ruth Tomlinson
If you're struggling to pick just one colour, a four stone line up might be the perfect solution. This intricate engagement ring by Ruth Tomlinson features four pastel sapphires nestled amongst gorgeous granules of polished gold.
6. Atmos Teal Sapphire Engagement Ring - £2,930, Shimmel & Madden
Contemporary brand Shimmel & Madden are giving us an art deco twist on the halo ring and we're obsessed. Handmade from recycled 18ct yellow gold in their London studio, the teal sapphire is the star of the show in this geometric creation.
7. Oval Engagement Ring - £3,600, Lily Kamper
Fashion forward couples will fall in love with Lily Kamper's colourful, unique and recognisable designs. An oval pink tourmaline centre accompanied by dark blue sapphire rectangles and a diamond encrusted 18ct gold band? Yes, please.
8. Europa Engagement Ring - £1,975, Ellie Air
Plain doesn't have to mean boring and this simple yet stunning engagement ring by Ellie Air proves it. The Australian emerald cut teal sapphire and 18ct recycled white gold band is perfect for partners who love minimalism.
9. Old Bond Street Orange Diamond Engagement Ring - POR, De Beers Jewellers
If you're on the hunt for an engagement ring, you've probably heard of diamond specialist De Beers Jewellers. Well, they don't disappoint when it comes to diamonds of the coloured variety too! Named after their flagship London store, this oval orange diamond ring is a modern take on a classic style.
10. Emerald and Diamond Ivy Scroll Engagement Ring - from £529, Angara
Not only are the rings available at Angara gorgeous, you have the option to choose the gemstone quality grade, metal type and carat weight to suit your budget and style. Plus, you can even get the engagement ring engraved for free! How charming would that be on this green emerald and diamond beauty?
11. 9ct White Gold Aquamarine & Diamond Pear Engagement Ring - £799, Ernest Jones
Aquamarine is an unique choice for an engagement ring, but a stunning one at that! This pear cut gemstone is set with a halo of diamonds creating a design that wouldn't look out of place in a Disney film.
12. Ruby Three Stone Halo Engagement Ring - £139, Ruby & Oscar
Ruby is an excellent choice for everyday wear as it is one of the hardest and most durable gemstones. It's also the birthstone for July so if your partner's birthday falls then, this three stone ruby ring by Ruby & Oscar will make a lovely sentiment.
13. Candy Pop Mauve Spinel 18ct Gold Engagement Ring - £1,200, Lebrusan Studio Jewellery
Conscious couples will love this mauve engagement ring by ethical brand Lebrusan Studio Jewellery. With a delicately designed, 100% recycled, 18ct gold band and an ethically sourced Sri Lankan spinel stone, you can be sure you're shopping responsibly.
14. Yellow Sapphire 18kt Yellow Gold Eternity Band - £495, Fenton
An eternity band with smaller gems like this ring by Fenton can have just as much impact as a larger singular stone. Rose gold is an on-trend pick, plus it pairs perfectly with yellow sapphires. While this isn't technically an engagement ring, it would work really well as one for a bride who prefers something more subtle.
15. Violette Ruby & Diamond Edwardian Engagement Ring - £980, The Vintage Ring Company
If you're looking for something truly unique, an excellent place to start is The Vintage Ring Company. This unusual figure of eight design dates back to the Edwardian era and is seriously charming.
16. Peridot & Diamond Desire Engagement Ring in 9ct White Gold - £209, QP Jewellers
There's something about a vibrant peridot engagement ring that has us dreaming of destination proposals in sunny climes. This design by QP Jewellers is a really affordable option and features an impressive peridot stone that was mined in Arizona.
17. Paraiba Tourmaline Diamond Platinum Engagement Ring - £9,000, Marcel Salloum
This engagement ring by Marcel Solloum will set you back a few thousand pounds, but it's an exceptional piece that'll no doubt impress your partner. The centre stone is bright paraiba tourmaline and is surrounded in a halo of diamonds creating a heavenly sparkle.
18. 9ct Rose Gold Morganite Diamond Engagement Ring - £695, Chisholm Hunter
Is your partner obsessed with all things rose gold? With a 9ct rose gold band holding a rose gold oval morganite stone that's surrounded by sparkling diamonds, this engagement ring by Chisholm Hunter will be their dream come true!
19. 18ct Rubellite & Diamond Engagement Jacket Ring - £7,000, Annoushka
We've fallen in love with Annoushka's Love & Commitment collection featuring gorgeous pieces that can be worn alone, or stacked alongside each other in countless combinations. One of our favourites has got to be this striking design that includes two stunning rings - a rubellite engagement ring nestled between a diamond encrusted ring jacket.
20. 18ct Morganite & Diamond Engagement Ring - £2,500, Annoushka
If you're after something a little more understated, the central ring from the above Annoushka design can also be purchased alone. We're huge fans of this morganite style, but you can choose from different coloured gemstones to suit your taste.
21. Beekeeper Lilac Azure and Cerise Sapphire Cluster Ring - £1,800, Alex Monroe
Alex Monroe designs delicate and quirky jewellery that takes inspiration from the natural world and gives back too with a tree being planted for every stone used. This beekeeper ring is set with lilac, azure and cerise ethical sapphires and if you look closely you'll even find a tiny bee amongst the floral details and twisted vine 18ct yellow gold band.
22. Rose Gold Gemma Pink Sapphire and Diamond Engagement Ring - £2,920, Selim Mouzannar
French-Lebanese designer Selim Mouzannar took inspiration from the flowers that cover the walls of the houses in Beirut each spring with this pink sapphire and diamond ring. The blue enamel framing really complements the pink stone and the simple claw setting allows it to take centre stage.
23. Deco Mint Kyanite and Diamond Engagement Ring - £120, Carrie Elizabeth Jewellery
This mint kyanite and diamond engagement ring by Carrie Elizabeth Jewellery looks as fresh as it sounds. The diamond cut gemstone is a really unique design and it'll look so dainty and delicate on your partner's finger.
24. Rose Quartz Nudo Classic Engagement Ring - £3,150, Pomellato
Italian jewellery house Pomellato has earned a cult following due to their unmistakable and easy-to-wear pieces. This feminine rose quartz stone pairs wonderfully with the brown diamond encrusted white gold band and will look oh-so-pretty.
25. Antares Engagement Ring - £4,360, Laura Lee Jewellery
The Antares ring by Laura Lee Jewellery is actually three separate bands that stack together to create this gorgeous design featuring a brown pear shaped rose cut diamond. You can wear them individually but for a proposal the trio is definitely the winner.
26. Signature Sapphire Heart Button Back Engagement Ring - POR, Jessica McCormack
Show your partner how much you love them with a heart shaped engagement ring. This one by Jessica McCormack is crafted from a blue sapphire in a Georgian cut down setting and it's simply stunning.
27. Garnet and Diamond Halo Engagement Ring - £1,652.40, Blue Nile
An alternative to ruby is a fiery garnet gemstone. The birthstone of January, this dark red beauty is a lot more affordable and just as stunning! We adore this engagement ring by Blue Nile - it's a real showstopper.
28. Veto Emerald Open Petal in 18k Yellow Gold Engagement Ring - £2,450, Lark & Berry
When we say sustainable jewellery brand Lark & Berry's designs are unique, playful and drop dead gorgeous, we mean it! You won't have seen anything quite like this diamond and emerald petal engagement ring and we bet your partner won't have either. All the gemstones used are cultured, meaning no animals or humans are displaced in the process.
29. Gold Fireworks Multi-Stone Ring - £865, Suzanne Kalan
An explosion of colour, this ring by Suzanne Kalan is a rainbow of glittering gemstones. Featuring seven baguette cut gems and four diamonds, jewellery doesn't come much brighter than this!
30. Julie Ring - £2,700, Michelle Oh
Opting for a coloured engagement ring doesn't mean you have to steer clear of traditional designs and a yellow diamond is the perfect pick if you want something a little different that's not over the top. The Julie ring by Michelle Oh is classy, chic and ideal for everyday wear.
31. Mini Mae West 18k Gold Fine Green Tourmaline Engagement Ring - £2,400, Dinny Hall
Handmade in England, the Mini Mae West engagement ring by Dinny Hall is set with an octagon cut green tourmaline stone and baguette cut diamonds. The 18k yellow gold band works wonderfully against the gemstones and, for less than £2,500, it's a great deal.
32. You, Me and Magic 14k Gold Twig Band 1ct Black Diamond Engagement Ring - £2,589, Chupi
Looking for something a little different to pop the question with? This magical ring might just be the one. Featuring a black solitaire diamond flanked by two smaller black diamonds, they're set on Chupi's signature twig gold band making it ideal for a woodland proposal.
33. Selene Engagement Ring - £2,385, Gee Woods Jewellery
Switch up a classic halo style with this emerald alternative by Gee Woods Jewellery. Even the diamond centre on the Selene ring is unique with its rose cut and salt and pepper colouring.
34. Flower Sapphire & Diamond Engagement Ring - from £2,427, Etsy
35. Soleste Cushion Cut Halo Diamond Engagement Ring - from £8,225, Tiffany
We couldn't round up our list without including a dazzling number from Tiffany and this halo cut yellow diamond engagement ring is a winner. As soon as you get the iconic duck egg blue box out, we bet tears of joy will follow suit...
If the green gems caught your eye, you're going to want to check out our list of the most dazzling emerald engagement ring designs.