After all the postponed weddings of the past couple of years, it's going to be a bumper summer of couples tying the knot. If you've been invited to one of these, it's likely to be your first big chance to dress up and spend time around all your friends - and to complete that, you need a killer summer wedding guest dress.
We’ve searched the rails of the high street (as well as delving into the new season drops of our favourite online retailers) to bring you the very best summer wedding guest dresses for every type of occasion.
Summer is the time of year when you can take inspiration from the weather and go as bold and bright as you dare, so there are plenty of patterns and prints in our edit. However, the trends for Scandi-inspired neutrals, shirred prairie shapes with puff sleeves and more delicate floral designs are certainly still on the radar too, so we’ve included something to cater for all tastes and budgets.
None of these dresses are one-off wears. After the wedding, they can become staple parts of your party wardrobe with a chic jacket thrown on for autumn or winter weddings.
To start, we’ve also compiled a couple of top tips for you to ensure whatever you choose fits the bill.
Top Tips for Choosing a Summer Wedding Guest Dress
- Consider the wedding dress code. Have the couple outlined a colour scheme to adhere to on their wedding invitation? Have they specified “black tie” or “cocktail attire”? Make sure you’re up to date.
- Make a mental note of what not to wear to a wedding. Y’know, the glaringly obvious like not wearing white, plus the unwritten rules like no denim and nothing too short.
- Don’t choose something which will have you upstaging the couple. Weddings might be a great excuse to buy a new dress, but don’t go too overboard.
- Wear colour in the summer to liven up the photographs. Any excuse, hey?
Now you know the rules, it’s time to get shopping. Ready to find your dream summer wedding guest dress?
- Formal Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
- Floaty Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
- Puff Sleeve Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
- Plus Size Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
- Maternity Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
33 Wedding Editor-Approved Summer Wedding Guest Dresses
Formal Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
1. Gem Detail High Neck Maxi Dress – £103.20, Coast
Been invited to a wedding with a black tie dress code? We think this high neck, embellished dress from Coast would fit the bill. The subtle sparkling embellishment at the top of the dress will catch the light beautifully on the dance floor.
2. Cowl Neck Satin Slip Cami Midi Dress – £55, SilkFred
3. Adrianna Papell Embroidered Midi Tea Dress – £136, John Lewis
We adore the floral flourish of this embroidered midi tea dress by Adrianna Papell. It's an elegant yet understated option for weddings and other special occasions.
4. Beaded Angel Sleeve Dress – £207.20, Coast
We're obsessed with this cream embellished dress with fluttery sleeves from Coast. It looks classic and sophisticated with a traditional fascinator.
5. Reiss Alyana Tailored Shell Mini Dress – £228, Selfridges
We think this shirt dress from Reiss perfectly combines wedding formal style with contemporary fashion. Made in a flattering nude shade, this dress can be paired with gold or silver accessories.
6. Templeton Shirred Sleeve Wrap Midaxi Dress – £75, Little Mistress
Statement sleeves are having a major moment right now which is one of the reasons the Templeton dress is on our wedding guest dress wish list. We love the multi-coloured pattern and tiered hem.
7. Edith Rose Puff Sleeve Bodycon Midi Dress – £60, Little Mistress
The midi length of this gown and the puff sleeves give a demure feel, and the soft pink is a classic wedding shade. We’d team this dress with soft glam waves and metallic accessories.
8. Tailored Square Neck Flare Sleeve Dress – £95.20, Coast
Soft flutter sleeves contrast beautifully with the square neckline and structured silhouette of this Coast dress. Available in blush pink and black, there’s a gown for daytime or evening nuptials.
9. Nia Embellished Scuba Dress – £160, Phase Eight
Available in sizes 6 to 20, this mermaid silhouette dress with slight high-low hem would make a classic formal wedding guest dress choice. Plus, the gorgeous, beaded neckline means you won’t need to go searching for the perfect necklace to complete the look!
Floaty Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
10. Needle & Thread Sunrise Floral Printed Maxi Dress – £350, Selfridges
Made from 100% cotton, this layered maxi dress with smocked bodice will be cool enough to wear for summer ceremonies and destination weddings in warmer climes. We love the pastel shades and floral motifs.
11. Whistles Dobby Tiger Print Crepe Midi Dress – £169, Selfridges
Proving that animal print can be subtle and soft, the Dobby midi dress is beautifully floaty and feminine. We love the frill edge sleeves and tiered skirt.
12. Ruffled Printed Dress – £29.99, Zara
We don't really need to say anything, do we? This stylish v-neck dress with ruffled trims speaks for itself.
13. Red Heart Print Puff Sleeve Midi Dress – £95, Closet London
At a celebration of love, what better than to wear your heart literally on your sleeve (and the rest of you)? This fashion-forward, season-transcending midi dress from Closet London features a round neckline and a bold heart print pattern. We're sure you'll absolutely love it!
14. & Other Stories Tie Waist Mini Dress – £65, ASOS
Midi dresses aren't your only option when it comes to summer wedding guest dressing, in fact we think those long hot days call for a mini. This dress has a cool '70s vibe to it with a bold floral pattern and collared neckline.
15. Frill Cuff Floral Mini Dress – £85, & Other Stories
Flirty and feminine, this mini dress is a youthful and fun choice. The flash of leg is balanced by the long sleeves, making this mini a great choice for keeping you warm if the evening is a little cooler.
READ MORE: What to Wear to a Wedding Explained
16. Floral Jacquard Printed Dress – £49.99, Zara
How much fun is this sunny floral dress from Zara? We absolutely love the colours and the attention to detail!
Puff Sleeve Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
17. Puff Sleeve Maxi Dress – £95, & Other Stories
This kind of button-up bodice and V-neckline suits both larger and smaller chests and the colour blue really does work on almost everyone. If you're not sure what to wear, we can guarantee this dress will look good on you.
18. Contrast Dress with Cut-Out Detail – £25.99, Zara
Cut-out dresses like this Zara one have taken over this summer and we're totally here for the trend. At just £25.99, you can totally afford to splash out on some statement earrings like these sunflower ones to complete the look.
19. Rachelle Dress – £300, Reformation
This dress might be on the pricier side, but we can guarantee you're going to want to wear Reformation's Rachelle dress again and again.
20. Safiree New World Printed Tiered Midi Dress – £192, Ted Baker
How much fun is this New World print dress from Ted Baker? If you're after a black dress with a twist, this is a great option!
21. Smocked Poplin Puff Sleeve Dress – £35, Coast
Who says you can't wear black to a wedding, especially when it's this chic! We absolutely adore the puff sleeves and floral print combination, and we think you will too!
Plus Size Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
22. Curve Pink Ditsy Floral Print Bardot Dress – £39.99, Yours
The light pink shade and ditsy floral print are giving serious spring wedding vibes. A frilled Bardot neckline complete this sweet and feminine dress perfectly.
23. Flower Print Dress – £59.99, Mango
This gorgeous floral dress is available in sizes 4 to 26 and features a flattering V-neckline and floaty sleeves. We adore the romantic pink and red toned flowers.
24. Flowy Paisley Dress – £49.99, Mango
Paisley prints are everywhere in 2022 and this Mango take on the trend has caught our eye. The high neckline keeps it looking demure while the tiered skirt give it a relaxed feel.
25. Print Wrap Dress – £39.99, Mango
Blue and white prints are another trend we’ve noticed hitting the rails of our favourite high street stores. Reminiscent of porcelain teacups, they’re a great pick for summer weddings. We think this wrap-around design from Mango, available in sizes 4 to 26, is the best of the bunch.
26. Gingham Check Cottoned Dress – £49.99, Mango
We love a classic gingham tea dress, but this monochrome number from Mango has a fashionable twist: a lace-up back. The criss-cross back flashes just enough flesh for a sexy yet demure look.
27. Curve Pink Rose Print Skater Dress – £45.99, Yours
Available in sizes 14 to 32, the romantic rose print and bow sash on this skater dress, give a romantic vibe that’s perfect for weddings.
Maternity Wedding Guest Dresses for Summer
28. Baby Love – £45, Club L London
We’re obsessed with this Bardot neckline midi dress – the only trouble we’re having is choosing between the two gorgeous shades it comes in. Whether you choose sage or coral, this gown is guaranteed to be a showstopper.
29. Maybe Baby – £35, Club L London
We love the long sleeves and a wraparound neckline of this nude midi dress. It’s the perfect gown for those wishing to show off their bump.
30. Pink Satin Maternity Wrap Midi Dress – £48, River Island
How beautiful is this satin wrap dress from River Island? We’re loving the balloon sleeves and candy pink shade. If pink isn’t your thing, it’s also available in blue, green and tiger print.
31. Maternity Broderie Short Sleeve Wrap Midi Dress – £38, ASOS
Broderie fabrics are a classic choice for summer which is one of the reasons this dress has made our edit. We love the cornflower blue shade, tiered skirt and puff sleeves too!
32. Nobody’s Child Maternity Selena Dress – £45, ASOS
High-neck dresses are a major trend and one that easily translates into maternity wear. We adore this ditsy print dress with three-quarter length sleeves and a ruffled hem.
READ MORE: 32 Stylish Maternity Wedding Guest Dresses
33. Maternity Floral Embroidered Midi Dress – £68, ASOS
We’re obsessed with the floral embroidery on this rose-pink midi dress. The light, floaty chiffon fabric gives it a boho vibe that’s totally on-trend.
Now you’ve got your summer wedding guest dress sorted, make sure you check out the essential rules which all wedding guests must follow - you don’t want to get caught out.