After all the excitement of your wedding day, it’s easy to overlook your wedding thank you cards and get swept up in all the post-wedding emotions and fun – opening your gifts, looking at your wedding photos and going on your honeymoon.
But you still have one important wedding stationery task to do: writing your wedding thank you cards. Trust us, they’re almost as important as the wedding invitations and your guests will really appreciate receiving them.
If you've overlooked wedding thank you cards in your planning, don't panic. We've scoured the web for the very best designs that you can buy now. From personalised pieces that allow you to add a wedding photo to readymade cards with charming designs that you can order right away, there's something for your style and budget here. We've also written a guide to wedding thank you cards, complete with the etiquette you need to know and some ideas of what to write if you're stuck for words.
- Shop Thank You Cards
- Everything You Need to Know About Wedding Thank You Card Etiquette
- What to Write in a Wedding Thank You Card
- How to Choose Your Wedding Thank You Cards
19 Beautiful Wedding Thank You Cards
1. Ancona Wedding Thank You Card – £2.85, Hitched Stationery
We love personalised thank you cards that incorporate your wedding photos into their design and we’re head over heels for the blush florals and gold foil framing on the Ancona card.
2. Blooming Botanical Thank You Card – £2.61, Hitched Stationery
If you’re having an autumnal wedding we think the dark blue and rich pink and orange florals of this design would make the perfect way to thank your guests.
3. Blue and Gold Marbled Ink Thank You Cards Pack of 10 – From £6.50, Hip Hip Hooray Studio
We love the laidback feel of these watercolour cards. Each card comes in Kraft envelopes giving a rustic feel and, at just £6.50 for 10, they’re a total bargain.
4. Set of Six Floral Mini Thank You Cards – £7.20, Little Paisley Designs
These bright, floral mini notecards will go down a treat with wedding guests or wedding party members you’d like to thank.
5. Claire Wedding Thank You Card – £2.85, Hitched Stationery
Muted florals are paired with Kraft card in the Claire thank you card. We love that you can incorporate three wedding photos into your design, and we think your guests will too.
6. Calligraphy Thank You Cards Set of 10 – £13, Betterday Studio
Simple yet glamorous with gold foiling and a twinkling design, these cards are a great choice for just about any wedding theme.
7. Summer Blossom Thank You Card – £3.38, Hitched Stationery
Soft pink summer florals make this thank you card a firm favourite among the Hitched team. All you need to do next is choose your fave wedding photo to complete the design.
8. Connessione Thank You Card – £3.38, Hitched Stationery
If you prefer simpler designs, may we suggest the Connessione design? This card featuring gold foiling and two wedding rings will allow your wedding photo to take centre stage.
9. Thank You Notelet Pack of Eight Foliage Pattern – £10.20, Little Paisley Designs
Want to mix up your thank you cards? These cards come in four different designs, each with a beautiful foliage theme that make for the perfect follow-up to a botanical themed wedding.
10. Ink Thank you Card – £3.38, Hitched Stationery
A black and white wedding photo looks gorgeous against this moody blue ink swirl design while gold foiling adds warmth and a luxe feel.
11. Personalised Thank You Card – £4.75, Faith Hope & Love Designs
Keep it simple with a white card and lettering that matches your wedding colour scheme. Choose an envelope in a complementary colour and finish with a personalised message.
12. Kate Wedding Photo Thank You Cards – £2, Project Pretty
There’s something super dreamy and romantic about a black and white photo, which is why we love this card from Project Pretty that puts a black and white portrait at the centre of the design.
13. Thank You Cards Pack of Eight – £5.60, Oakdene Designs
14. Star Thank You Box Set of Eight Pastel Note Cards – £12.50, Spots and Stripes
Think your bridal party are total stars? Let them know with these cute pastel star thank you cards.
15. Thank You Notecards Pack of Eight – £7.50, Jodie Gaul
Sometimes the simplest of designs can have the most impact and that’s definitely the case with these cards. Featuring a rustic wooden star and a simple font, your message will be the star of the show with these cards.
16. Wildflower Thank You Cards Pack of 10 – £16.99, Paper Willow
Were rustic florals a big feature on your day? We think these wildflower cards are a great way of incorporating your theme into your thank you notes.
17. Risograph Printed Thank You Postcards – £9.59, Petra Boase Ltd
Postcards are a more laidback style of card and, coupled with the off-beat designs of these cards, we think they’re the perfect pick for couples that hosted casual and alternative celebrations.
18. Plantable Thank You Card – £4.50, Summer Lane Studio
Worried about the environmental impact of sending out cards? This amazing seeded thank you card can be planted to produce a mini wildflower meadow – we’re in love!
19. Pack of 10 Wildflower Thank You Cards – From £6.50, Hip Hip Hooray Studio
With colourful flowers adorning the front and Kraft envelopes, we think these cards would be the perfect way to thank guests for coming to your summer nuptials.
READ MORE: The Ultimate Post-Wedding To Do List
Wedding Thank You Cards: What You Need to Know
1. Yes, You Need to Send Them
This might sound like a simple one but so many couples neglect to send wedding thank you notes. After your guests have taken the time and effort to come to your wedding and have likely bought you a wedding gift then it’s only polite that you say thank you.
2. There’s a Time Limit on Thank You Cards
It’s general wedding etiquette that you should send your wedding thank you notes within three months of your big day. However, wedding etiquette also states that guests can send wedding gifts up to a year after your wedding. While this may seem a little long (and one to two months is probably more realistic), reply in a timely fashion even to late gifts.
3. List Your Gifts as You Open Them
You want your wedding thank you notes to be personal so write down who gave you which gift as you open them. That way you can thank them specifically rather than thanking for 'the gift'. It's also nice to include a brief sentence about how you used the gift, for example: "Thank you so much for the towels! They go with our bathroom décor perfectly."
4. Always Handwrite Your Notes
Yes, it takes ages, but this is one of the times when you need to make the time and effort to handwrite your notes.
5. Make the Message Personal
Try and thank each guest in a personal way. It’s such a rare thing to write a note to each person you care about so put a bit of extra effort into it. You’re beginning to see why you’ve got a whole three months, aren’t you? Split the task between the two of you and just do a few a night while you’re watching TV.
6. Put in as Much Effort as You Did with the Rest of Your Wedding
If you sent a beautiful wedding invitation, had a gorgeous wedding and a stunning dress then don’t let yourself down on the last hurdle by rushing your thank you notes. Why not order the cards from the same stationery maker? You can often get discount for bulk purchases.
7. Keep the Tone Light
You’re writing to close friends and family so keep the tone relaxed and informal and the notes will be much easier to write. A funny line will always go down well too.
What to Write in Wedding Thank You Cards
A wedding thank you card message should include:
- Thank you to your guest for sharing your special day with you (this comes first as their presence is always more important than a present)
- Thank you for their gift
- Mention of what you plan to do with the gift
- Finish with well wishes
Examples of What to Write in a Wedding Thank You Card
- Thank you so much for sharing in our wedding day and for your wonderful gift. The Nespresso machine has already transformed our mornings; I don’t know how we lived without it! I think John was more excited about it than the honeymoon when we opened it!
- It means the world to us that you joined us to celebrate our wedding day and create memories we’ll cherish forever. We can’t say thank you enough for your generous contribution to our honeymoon fund. We’re planning a two-week trip to Sri Lanka and have decided to put your gift towards a scuba-diving experience which we’re both so excited about.
- It was so special to have you there on our wedding day and we really appreciate you travelling from Scotland to join us. Uncle Ted made the evening with his wonderful dance moves – we’ll make sure to show you the video next time we see you! Thank you for the dinner set you gave us. It’s a beautiful addition to our kitchen.
- Thank you for the cheque you gave us for our wedding. Sam and I have been saving for a deposit for our first home and have put it into our special account. It was incredibly thoughtful of you and we’ll be inviting you to the housewarming – hopefully very soon!
How to Choose Your Wedding Thank You Cards
Make Use of Your Wedding Photos
Your thank you notes can be a perfect way to show off some of your beautiful wedding pictures – why not send personalised photo thank you cards featuring one or some of your favourite pics?
Think About Your Wedding Theme
If the rest of your wedding stationery has been rustic or botanical themed, continuing that with your thank you cards is a lovely way to round off the theme. You could get them printed in the same design as your wedding cards or, to save money, go for something simpler with a nod to your theme.
Don’t Blow Your Last Bit of Budget
If you are concerned about blowing the last of your wedding budget on elaborate thank you notes then there is no need to worry – a budget friendly option that still looks great would be to send wedding thank you postcards, saving you money on the cost of envelopes.
If you haven’t ordered your wedding thank you cards yet, the Hitched wedding stationery section has a stunning selection of photo thank you cards, or for pretty handmade cards browse our directory of local wedding stationery suppliers.