A traditional wedding cake is made of rich fruit cake, but nowadays couples are becoming more daring with their wedding cake flavour choices. With a variety of tiers, you can experiment with some fun flavours and still have a tier of traditional fruitcake or a simple Victoria sponge if you wish!
Depending on the look you’re after, a wedding cake can look completely classic on the outside, tiered and skilfully covered in white icing, but on the inside there are infinite flavour combinations to consider.
If it’s an alternative wedding cake that you’re after, there are a whole host of designs to try too (including these incredible drip wedding cakes).
To get your mouth watering, we’ve combined our own favourites with some of the unique flavours created by Suzanne Thorp at The Frostery, Roma at Sweetness, Charlotte at Langs of London and Ann at Ann’s Designer Cakes; the result is 55 of the most delicious and unusual wedding cake flavours… ever.
From classics with a twist, such as vanilla with a mango mousse filling, to vegetable cakes and boozy bakes – whatever you choose your guests will be delightfully surprised on the day.
There are bound to be a few chocoholics on the guest list — and chocolate wedding cakes double up as the perfect pudding for your wedding breakfast. Try one of these delicious chocolatey combinations that your guests might not be expecting.
- Chocolate covered strawberry cake
- Chocolate and peanut butter
- Oreo cookie and Toblerone
- Vanilla and chocolate
- Mocha spiced chocolate
- Chocolate fudge with dark chocolate chips and peppermint mousse
A gorgeous citrus-based cake will refresh the palette and is ideal for a hot, midsummer wedding. Follow in the footsteps of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, who had the right idea with their delicious lemon-elderflower wedding cake.
- Italian lemon with homemade lemon curd and limoncello buttercream
- Lime with ginger cream
- Orange and berry with dark chocolate
- Lemon and white chocolate
- Light fruit and lemon
- Key lime cake with lime cheesecake mousse
Fruity and Fabulous
A fruit cake is a wedding staple, but you can give the fruity flavour an original touch with one of these gorgeous combinations.
- Pear and almond sponge with passion fruit
- Banana and praline
- Apple, cinnamon and raisin
- Raspberry ripple cake
- Champagne cream and fresh strawberries
- Apple and caramel
- Cherries and cream
Great for a summer wedding, a wedding abroad or a beach wedding in the UK, a tropical twist is exotic and bursting with flavour.
- Coconut sponge with spiced rum buttercream
- Vanilla sponge with mango mousse filling
- Buttercream frosted spiced coconut with coconut flakes
- Passion fruit and rum with vanilla bean buttercream
- Plain sponge with pineapple cream
- Banana and coconut cake with white chocolate ganache
These unique and fun flavour combinations will be a talking point at any wedding — and they work particularly well with a vintage wedding theme.
- Vanilla sponge with rose flavoured buttercream
- Lavender honey sponge with lavender buttercream
- Rhubarb and rose petal
- Red velvet vanilla with cream cheese frosting
- Brown sugar spice cake with a tangy cranberry filling
- Cinnamon swirled vanilla with cheesecake mousse
Take your clean eating to new heights with a vegetable-based wedding cake. Not only do they taste delicious but your guests will get the benefits of eating one of their five-a-day too.
- Orange and butternut squash with orange mousse
- Carrot and mango
- Dark chocolate and avocado
- Beetroot chocolate fudge cake
- Courgette and pistachio
- Cocoa and sweet potato cake
- Pea and vanilla with lemon icing
- Pumpkin and peanut butter
A Cuppa Love
If you’re a tea or coffee addict then these flavours, paired with classic flavours, are perfect for an afternoon tea-style wedding breakfast.
- Green tea sponge with green tea buttercream — or dark chocolate ganache buttercream
- Matcha green tea, caraway and sweet azuki beans
- Vanilla caffe latte
- English lavender with Earl Grey buttercream
- Coffee-infused mocha
- Espresso with white chocolate icing
- Chai tea with vanilla filling
Whether it’s sipping on a post-ceremony cocktail or raising a glass of Champagne during the speeches, weddings can be a boozy affair. Embrace the British fondness for a tipple with a cake containing alcohol.
- Champagne cake with redcurrant or blackberry jelly with crème de cassis
- Ginger and rum sponge with spiced rum buttercream
- Chocolate, Guinness and blackcurrant cake
- Amaretto-soaked fruitcake
- Vanilla sponge with strawberry and Pimm’s jam and cucumber and mint sugar syrup
- Piña colada with coconut icing
- Brandy apple
- Lemon and elderflower gin
- Pink Champagne with raspberry jam
- Chocolate red wine cake with blackberry preserves and chocolate ganache
Now you have the flavour decided, it’s time to think about the style of wedding cake you’re after. Browse our cake articles for floral wedding cakes, metallic wedding cakes and more.