If you’re dreaming of a beautiful designer wedding dress, but it’s looking like there just won’t be room in your wedding budget, a wedding dress sample sale could be the answer to your prayers.
What is a Bridal Sample Sale?
A sample sale is when a bridal boutique or designer sells their gowns at hugely discounted prices.
The dresses might be past season gowns, overstocked or returned items or dresses which have simply been sat on the rails for a while and not sold. There might occasionally be a small mark on the dresses, but on the whole, they’ll be in perfect condition. Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it?
READ MORE: How to Choose the Perfect Wedding Dress
Before we round-up our pick of the best upcoming sample sales in the UK, here are some top tips for winning at sample sale shopping…
Top Tips for Shopping at Sample Sales
- Follow your favourite designers on social media. Most will announce their upcoming sample sale dates via their social channels so it’s the best way to keep up to date with what’s going on.
- Research what you want before you go. Sample sales can be a bit hectic and often work best if you know what dress you’re interested in. They’re not usually the best place to try on gowns for the first time.
- Go to the sale when you’re prepared to buy. Sample sales are places for quick decisions – and you don’t want your dream dress to get snapped up by another bride while you’re pondering!
- When a sale is announced, get in there quickly if the designer is operating on an appointment-only basis. It’s often worth an early start or a day off work to get a good slot.
- Know what the deal is by way of payment and alterations before you go. Do you have to pay in full straight away? Will the boutique arrange for your alterations? Do you have to take the dress away with you on the day? Check everything out before you head to the sale.
- Be aware of what can and can’t be dry cleaned out of certain fabrics (for example – feathers can’t be dry cleaned), and whether any marks on the dress make it worth the discount. Small marks might be easy to remove, but a fake tan or foundation stain from a previous bride trying the dress on probably won’t be.
Now you’re all clued up, it’s time to take a look at our round-up of the best sample sales of 2019.
Pop the dates in your diary, head along and thank us when you find your dream dress for a purse-pleasing price.
READ MORE: The Best Wedding Dresses on a Budget
All dates and information valid on the date of publication – 14/05/2019
Jenny Packham End of Line Sale
Image: Jenny Packham
Jenny Packham is one of the UK’s most successful and independent fashion brands with a signature style that has long been loved by brides, bridesmaids and mothers of the bride alike.
They’re hosting an end of line sample sale with up to 80% off their stunning gowns. With sizes from 6-16 available, this is not one to miss out on.
30th May 2019, 8:00am–7:00pm.
Jenny Packham London, 3A Carlos Place, Mayfair, W1K 3AN.
No appointment is necessary.
READ MORE: Our Favourite Elegant Wedding Dresses
London Bride Mid-Week Sample Sale
London Bride is hosting a very special one day event on Tuesday 21st May. They’ll be open from 11am until 8pm and will be offering 30 minute sale appointments, where all dresses will be priced at £295. Yep, you read that right.
There will be sizes 6-18 available, and London Bride stock a whole host of designers including Ellis Bridal, Justin Alexander, Stella York and more.
21st May 2019, 11am-8pm.
London Bride, 203 Walworth Road, London, SE17 1RL.
This event is appointment only. Please telephone London Bride on 02077036796 to book.
Caroline Castigliano Sample Sale
Image: Caroline Castigliano
Here at Hitched HQ, we’re huge fans of Caroline Castigliano dresses, so it was music to our ears when we found out about her latest sample sale.
She’ll be selling samples, prototypes and past-season dresses with up to 70% off at her flagship Knightsbridge store between 13th and 18th May 2019.
Dresses between sizes 8 and 12 will be sold, and there’s the added bonus of having a private stylist and alterations specialist to assist during your appointment. If this is not the perfect opportunity to purchase the dress of your dreams, we don’t know what is.
13th-18th May 2019.
Caroline Castigliano Flagship Sotre, 154 Bromtpon Road, London, SW3 1HX.
Appointments cost £15 and dresses start from £1,100. To book, call 02075909120. There will only be one sample sale of each wedding gown so early bookings are advisable.
READ MORE: Our Pick of the Prettiest Long Sleeve Wedding Dresses
Katya Katya London Bridal Sample Sale
Image: Katya Katya / Wanderlust Collection
Katya Katya is having a flash sample sale between 17th and 18th May 2019 at their London boutique.
With up to 50% off the gorgeous gowns in their Wanderlust bridal collection and sizes between 8-12, this is not one to miss.
17th-18th May, 10am-7pm.
Katya Katya, 18 Park Walk, London, SW10 0AQ.
Call 02073513459 or email email@example.com to secure your free appointment.
Proposals Bridal Room Sample Sale
Proposals Bridal Room in Grimsby is a beautiful bridal boutique stocking designers from Mori Lee and Ronald Joyce to Rebecca Ingram and Sottero & Midgely.
On 18th May, they’re hosting a sample sale where you’ll be able to shop for bridal gowns and evening wear at reduced prices. Northern brides – this is one for you!
18th May 2019.
Proposals Bridal Room, 2 Abbeygate, Grimsby, DN13 1JY.
Love Me Do Brides Clearance Sale
Love Me Do Brides are a bridal boutique situated in London, just south of Richmond Park. They’re set to host a sample sale where you’ll be able to shop bridal gowns, accessories and footwear at reduced prices. And the best part? It isn’t until October, so you have plenty of time to prep!
There will be over 1000 gowns on sale, from designers including Mori Lee, Paloma Blanca, Charlotte Balbier, Eddy K and more.
Wedding dresses will be priced between £99 and £599, bridesmaids dresses will be available from £20 and accessories and footwear can be snapped up for as little as £10!
Sunday 6th October 2019, 10am-4pm.
Love Me Do Brides, 15 Park Road, London, KT2 6BX.
Booking is required. Click here to do so.
READ MORE: The Best Statement Wedding Dresses for Alternative Brides
Haven’t found any sample sales that are suitable? Fear not! This page gets updated regularly, so pop it in your bookmarks and stay updated.
In the meantime, why not check out our round-up of the best high street wedding dresses? You’d be surprised what you can get for such a good price.