Getting engaged is incredibly exciting and it’s a lovely gesture to send the happy couple an engagement card.
Deciding what to write in an engagement card can be a bit trickier. Do you go funny? Sentimental? How personal should you make it? Is it meant to accompany a gift?
You’ll find our favourite warm wishes to send to the engaged couple below. We’ve even included a few of our favourite engagement cards at the bottom should you have not even jumped that hurdle yet.
We’ve split it up by funny or emotional and by your relationship to the couple (co-worker and brother should get very different cards, if that wasn’t obvious).
- Simple Engagement Wishes
- Funny Engagement Wishes
- Engagement Wishes for a Friend
- Engagement Wishes for a Brother or Sister
- Engagement Wishes for a Son or Daughter
- Engagement Wishes from a Bridesmaid or Groomsman
- Engagement Card Quotes
- Our Favourite Engagement Cards
Let’s cover the basics first. You need to write three things in your card:
- Congratulations to the couple, which can be as simple as “Congratulations to a beautiful couple” or “Congratulations on this exciting new journey together!”
- An engagement message to the couple that’s relevant to your relationship with them. This is what we’ve got lots of examples of below.
- A wish for their future which should be short and sweet, such as, “Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness” or “Wishing you all the best with your wedding plans.”
You should send a card as soon as you hear the engagement news, but don’t feel you need to send a gift too. While you might like to give an engagement present to the couple if they’re having an engagement party, it isn’t a necessity. Instead, send a card for the engagement and buy them a wedding gift in line with your budget.
- So happy to hear your news – you really are a perfect couple. Sending you all my love as you start planning the wedding and your future together.
- Congratulations on your engagement. Very excited to watch the new adventure you’re about to share. Good luck and enjoy yourselves.
- Well done on getting engaged – it’s about time! Wishing you a long and happy life together.
- May this engagement be the beginning of everlasting happiness and commitment to one another.
- It’s a truly wonderful thing that you have found each other. All the best with your wedding plans.
- May your engagement just be the beginning of the happiest times together. Can’t wait to celebrate with you!
- Cheers to the bride and groom-to-be. Now to get planning!
- Warmest congratulations on your engagement. Here’s to endless love, happiness and adventure.
- Love and happiness to you on this special day.
- Go make a beautiful life together! Happy engagement to you both.
- I’m so happy that the two of you are engaged! Now for the fun part — the open bar! I mean, wedding. I definitely meant wedding.
- Congratulations on finding that one person you get to officially annoy for the rest of your life!
- Congratulations on that gorgeous ring! I mean, fiancé/e.
- Excellent, a wedding I actually want to attend!
- Wishing you a lifetime of great sex…oh, and love and happiness and all that other stuff.
- Best of luck – you can never laugh at your partner’s choices again; you’re one of them!
- I’m so proud of you for choosing to marry out of love and not a surprise pregnancy.
- Warmest congratulations to you both. Enjoy this time wedding planning before all the bills arrive!
- I couldn’t be happier that you’ve managed to avoid becoming a crazy cat lady.
- I’m 90% happy for you and 10% jealous. But 100% up for an open bar!
- I guess you two are pretty serious then. Cool.
- Engaged is a synonym for busy. Now you officially have an excuse to get out of every party you don’t want to go do, you jammy things!
- I can’t wait to Instagram the heck out of your day! (You better keep it up to my followers’ expectations.)
- May you bring each other as much happiness as your friendship has brought to my life – congratulations, guys.
- We’ve been through school and uni and that phase where we both dyed our hair black together, so its strange to see you start a whole new chapter of your life with someone else. But I can’t wait to watch the journey you’re about to take – I love you both.
- You gained a ring and I gained permanent third-wheel status – and honestly, I couldn’t be happier.
- You two are perfect for each other. I know your marriage as going to be as strong and last as long as our friendship.
- Of all the moments we’ve celebrated in our life together, this is the best so far. Congratulations.
- You’re engaged! When is too soon to start planning the hen/stag party? Asking for a friend…
- I’m so lucky to call both of you my friend and I can’t wait to be able to call you husband and wife/husband and husband/wife and wife too!
READ MORE: 18 Rules Every Wedding Guest Needs to Follow
- I always knew we were a little weird and I’m so glad you found another weirdo to join our family who’ll love you forever.
- I remember the day you were born – all red and wrinkly and screaming your lungs out. It’s hard to believe you’re old enough now to get engaged! Couldn’t be prouder of my little brother, congratulations.
- Words can’t even describe how happy I am my sister has found true love. I remember when we used to talk about who was our perfect guy. Well, he isn’t Ryan Gosling, but Joe is a pretty good substitute. Welcome to the family!
- I don’t want to get ahead of myself, but I’ve already assumed I’m best man, put down a deposit for the stag and signed us up for dance classes. You’ll look pretty silly if you give the job to someone else now, bro.
- You might be losing your last name, but I’m gaining a brother so that’s a deal I’m pretty happy with. Love you both and can’t wait to celebrate with you!
- You have no idea the embarrassing stories I’m going to bring up in my maid of honour speech – good luck! (And congratulations!)
- I didn’t tease you for nothing as a kid. It was preparing you for how mercilessly I’m going to mock you when you turn into a bridezilla. Bring it on, sister!
- You deserve the world and I’m so happy you’ve found someone that makes you beam with happiness. To many more adventures!
- I’ve spent my whole life looking up to you but you’ve never made a decision as wise as asking Hannah to marry you. Well done!
- We’re the luckiest parents in the world to have watched you grow into the beautiful woman you are today. The moment you first introduced us to Sam we could tell you were head over heels and now we’re so fortunate to welcome them into our family too.
- I always knew this joyous moment would come, and I’m honoured to call you my son as you take this exciting new step to starting your own family.
- Once of the proudest moments of a father’s life is when they get to watch their little girl walk down the aisle. The second proudest is when they ace their father of the bride speech. I hope you’re OK with just your mother helping you with the planning, because I’m off to start drafting!
- May the love you share only grow stronger as you grow older.
- Enjoy every moment of planning your wedding. This is just chapter one of the most exciting book.
- I couldn’t be happier to welcome a new daughter into our family. I hope you warned her what to expect!
- It makes us so happy to see how happy Robin makes you. It’s all you could ask for your child and we hope you stay this madly in love forever.
- Your father and I have always tried to set an example for you of what a marriage should look like. May you always have each other’s back and each other’s heart as you navigate a new life together.
- To our wonderful daughter and her new fiancée: may this relationship blossom into a beautiful family.
READ MORE: The Best Summer Wedding Guest Dresses
- Congratulations! It feels like only yesterday we were moving into halls at uni and now I’m about to help you get married!
- I couldn’t be more excited to be part of your wedding journey. I’m here for everything you need, whether that’s addressing 100 envelopes or bringing round wine at 11pm when you’re stressing out. Actually, there’s never been a time when I wouldn’t have brought round wine at 11pm… but now we’ll have an excuse.
- You’re a match made in heaven and I’m over the moon I get to watch you make that official.
- You’ve been my best mate since school. I got to be front-row for all the detentions, shocking football tackles, boys’ holidays, first love and first heartbreak – plus that time you accidentally shaved off your eyebrow – and now I get to be front-row as you say ‘I do’. I couldn’t be prouder of that lanky, spotty teenager right now.
- I finally booked us into that spin class we’re always talking about. We’re going to need the cardio for all the dress shopping we’re about to do!
- I remember when we planned our weddings when we were seven with a toilet paper veil and Haribo rings. This is a glow-up and half! Congrats, queen. I can’t wait to try on tiaras with you.
- I’m so proud of you for making the best decision of your life. No, not Alex – I mean choosing me to be your bridesmaid.
- You two are a perfect couple and two of my best friends – I can’t wait to celebrate with you!
If in doubt, a quote about love and relationships will always go down well in an engagement card.
You can go for something funny – “Like good wine, marriage gets better with age – once you learn to keep a cork in it” – or something romantic – “There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.”
We’ve got so many brilliant articles bursting with quotes for you to browse. Here are our favourites:
- 125 Beautiful Quotes About Relationships
- 51 Hilarious Quotes About Love
- 46 Inspiring Quotes About Marriage
- 35 of the Most Romantic Quotes From Literature
- 37 ‘I Love You’ Quotes
READ MORE: 35 Winter Wedding Guest Dresses
About Bloody Time Engagement Card – £2.95, Amazon
Unicorn Engagement Card – £5.05, Etsy
Holy Guacamole Engagement Card – £2.50, Etsy
Cheese Engagement Card – £2.25, Amazon
Penis Engagement Card – £2.75, Etsy
Funny Engagement Card – £2.49, Amazon
Our Favourite Personalised Engagement Cards
Personalised You’re Engaged Card – £3.89, Etsy
Personalised Wedding Caricature Card – £10, Etsy
Personalised ‘It All Began’ Engagement Card – £6.50, Not On The High Street
Personalised Special Location Map Engagement Card – £5.50, Amazon
Pinky Promise Personalised Engagement Card – £3.95, Not On The High Street
Our Favourite Simple Engagement Cards
Rose Gold Engagement Card – £1.25, Etsy
Fizz Engagement Card – £3.50, Not On The High Street
Enjoy Your Ride Engagement Card – £2.90, Etsy
Perfect Pear Engagement Card – £3.50, Not On The High Street
Tying The Knot Engagement Card – £2.90, Not On The High Street
If you’re planning on attending a wedding this, don’t miss our edit of the 33 best wedding guest hairstyles that’ll make you look polished to perfection.