Far from stuffy and outdated, incorporating traditional elements into your wedding invites such as wax seals, calligraphy and textured card can look really sophisticated - especially as many of these features are often given a contemporary update so they still feel fresh.
Vintage wedding invitations are pretty broad in terms of design too - you'll find loads of fun ideas here from stylish 1950s wedding invitations to cool Gatsby inspired sets and even one that looks like an old-school postcard!
Evoke the style of years that have gone by with our round-up 23 vintage wedding invitations - there’s something here for every retro celebration.
Romantic Vintage Wedding Invitations
1. Diana Wedding Invitations - from 99p, Feel Good Wedding Invitations at Not on the High Street
Featuring textured fine-art paper, torn edges, wax, twine and vellum wrap, the Diana invitations from Feel Good Wedding Invitations are giving us serious vintage vibes. Oh, and don't even get us started on the dusky florals that adorn every piece - even peeking out when the envelopes are opened.
2. Love is the Key DIY Wedding Invitation Pack - from £2.60, Wedding in a Teacup at Not on the High Street
If you opt for these enchantingly vintage wedding invitations from Wedding in a Teacup, you'll receive a parcel of personalised cards, a spool of ribbon and a bag of magical key charms - all you have to do is decorate to your taste. Your guests can even keep the little keys long after your wedding day as a reminder of the special celebration.
3. Phileas Fogg Map Boarding Pass Wedding Invitation - from £2.50, Rodo Creative at Not on the High Street
When your guests receive a vintage style boarding pass inviting them to your wedding, we bet they'll be so excited. Perfect if you are planning a destination wedding, you can choose to include a telegram RSVP, a gift luggage tag and an envelope with an addressed sticker. How cute!
Vintage Bunting Wedding Invitations
4. Vintage Bunting Kraft Concertina Wedding Invitation - from 99p, Feel Good Wedding Invitations at Not on the High Street
Made from 100% recycled Kraft card, these colourful bunting vintage wedding invitations are ideal if you are having a summer celebration with lots of garden games. We adore the concertina style as it allows for lots of information to be included.
5. Blush Bunting Wedding Invitations - from £1.50, Rodo Creative at Not on the High Street
Combining two of our favourite vintage wedding invitation elements bunting and lace, these pretty invites from Rodo Creative are adorable. We're obsessed with the little details, like the teeny hearts and hanging vintage birdcage.
READ MORE: 29 Vintage 1920s Wedding Dresses
6. Bunting Wedding Invitation - £POA, Violet Paper Studio by Vicky Perry
Violet Paper Studio is a bespoke design studio based in Brighton - owner Vicky Perry uses high quality materials and will work according to your budget to create a fabulous wedding invitation unique to you. This vintage bunting design is fun and pretty.
Vintage Shabby Chic Wedding Invitations
7. Floral Vintage Postcard Wedding Invitation - from 99p, Feel Good Wedding Invitations at Not on the High Street
Sending your guests a vintage shabby chic wedding invitation is a really special idea and one that you might not have thought of. The tea-stained finish and intricate calligraphy on these invites from Feel Good Wedding Invitations is simply gorgeous.
8. Floral Press Wallet Wedding Invitation - from £4, Love Wedding Print at Not on the High Street
These floral press wallet wedding invitations from Love Wedding Print encompass a vintage shabby chic theme perfectly - the sleek white card contrasts beautifully with the rustic Kraft cover and delicate vintage details.
9. Paper Love Wedding Invitations - from £4.30, So My Darling at Not on the High Street
For a minimalistic approach to vintage wedding invitations, look to these stylish invites from So My Darling. The patchwork design and textured edges are simple yet chic and would work with all styles of wedding.
Rustic Vintage Wedding Invitations
10. Kraft Wedding Invitations - from £2, Wonder Wedding Stationery
Speaking of simple designs, Wonder Wedding Stationery who are based in East Sussex specialise in beautiful styles featuring classic typography. This Kraft wedding invitation is stunning and you can even add elegant extras such as wax seals and vellum wraps for even more of a vintage vibe.
11. Vintage Affair Wedding Invitations - £3.99 for 10, Ginger Ray
Looking for cheap wedding invitations? These vintage affair invites from Ginger Ray are a bargain coming in at just under 40p per card! If you're having a large guest list and have a tight budget, they're ideal.
12. Digital Vintage Wedding Invitation - from £9.96, Vine Wedding at Etsy
We also recommend opting for a digital vintage wedding invitation if you are looking to keep costs down. For less than £10 you'll receive this gorgeous lace design and cards from Vine Wedding ready for you to print and cut yourselves. It's a really savvy way to save money!
Vintage Country Wedding Invitations
13. Lizzie Peaky Blinders Wedding Invitation - from £2.50, Project Pretty at Not on the High Street
Are you and your partner big Peaky Blinders fans? These 1920s inspired wedding invitations from Project Pretty are amazing! Choose from daytime or evening invitations and white, pink or brown envelopes.
14. Amelia Wedding Invitations - from £3.60, Whole Caboodle Design at Not on the High Street
Vintage wedding invitations don't come much more spectacular than the Amelia from Whole Caboodle Design - Bridgerton lovers this one is for you. This scroll style design is made from luxury cotton rag paper and finished with a floral hot wax seal meaning all your guests will be cordially invited to the wedding of the century...
15. Vintage Wedding Invitations - £POA, Bonny and Clyde Wedding Boutique
Bonny and Clyde Wedding Boutique offer consultations for newlyweds-to-be, allowing you to discuss your requirements and ideas, ensuring you receive the wedding invitations of your dreams. Previous examples include this fabulous retro inspired set.
READ MORE: The Best Vintage Wedding Jewellery
16. Vintage Wedding Invitation - from £3, Love Wedding Print at Not on the High Street
This rustic vintage wedding invitation from Love Wedding Print is available in a wallet or tri-fold format in several print colours, including cotton candy, aubergine, bronze and ocean blue. It's a really playful design that is perfect for fun couples.
17. Fun Vintage Elephant and Balloon Wedding Invitation - from £1.80, Zoe Barker Design at Not on the High Street
This unique vintage elephant wedding invitation by Zoe Barker Design will definitely get your guests talking! Quirky and playful, it would suit an eclectic wedding that won't be like any other celebration.
Vintage Lace Wedding Invitations
18. Lace Wedding Invitations - from 65p, Sienna Mai at Not on the High Street
19. Vintage Lace Wedding Invitations - from 75p, Tigerlily Wedding Stationery at Not on the High Street
Match your invitations to your wedding colour with this lace invite set from Tigerlily Wedding Stationery. They have everything from pale pink to navy blue depending on your taste.
20. Twine & Lace Wedding Invitations - from £1, Vida Design at Not on the High Street
This wedding invitation bundle from Vida Design features actual lace and an engraved wooden heart with your names and date etched onto it. It's romantic, rustic and has a lovely vintage feel it!
21. Rustic Lace Pattern Wedding Invitations - £9.95 for 10, Amazon
Cutting it fine with time to send your wedding invitations? You can get these gorgeous vintage lace invites delivered to you next day from Amazon! Each bundle comes with ten wedding invitations, RSVP cards, rustic string and hole-punched tags.
22. Woodgrain Lace Wedding Invitations - from £1.13, Hitched Stationery
The woodgrain lace design from Hitched Wedding Stationery comes in four different styles - a folded card, an insert, portrait and a 3-piece set. For only £1.13 per card you'll get a seriously luxurious feeling and looking card.
23. Floral Lace Wedding Invitation - from £3.60, Hearts & Twine Wedding Stationery
Heart and Twine Wedding Stationery is a York-based print studio serving up some lovely vintage lace wedding invitations. Take this sky blue and red ribbon style - it would be perfect if you're planning a winter wedding.
Calligraphy looks beautiful on vintage wedding invitations - learn how to do brush lettering in our beginner's guide to calligraphy.