There are many advantages to emerald-cut engagement rings. But what exactly is this style of sparkler?
The name, as you'd expect, refers to the cut of the central diamond or other gemstone: rectangular in shape, with large parallel facets (the flat surfaces of the stone), known as 'step cuts', as they have a resemblance to flights of stairs. Emerald-cut stones have been around for centuries, but are most often associated with Art Deco, thanks to those clean, symmetrical lines.
That brings us back to the advantages of this particular ring style. Firstly, the elegance of emerald-cut engagement rings makes them timeless. They've graced the fingers of celebrities through the ages, from Grace Kelly and Elizabeth Taylor to Beyoncé and Amal Clooney - it's a style associated with luxury, although you don't have to have an A-lister budget to buy into the look.
Secondly, an emerald-cut is rarer than other styles, such as the round brilliant cut, meaning your engagement ring will stand out from the crowd.
What's more, the shape and facets mean an emerald-cut ring is supremely flattering, elongating the finger. The cut also makes the gemstone - usually a diamond - look bigger.
And an emerald cut is very versatile. It works perfectly as part of a vintage-inspired design, or an ultra-contemporary engagement ring; it can be given extra prettiness with a diamond halo or embellished band, or kept pared-back with the gemstone as the star.
We’ve put together our favourites to give you some serious ring-spiration!
We have included third party products to help you navigate and enjoy life’s biggest moments. Purchases made through links on this page may earn us a commission.
1. Platinum 2/3ct Diamond Emerald Cut Halo Ring – £1,625, Ernest Jones
This platinum design is the dream emerald-cut engagement ring for a bride-to-be who loves sparkle, with the central diamond enhanced by halo and shoulder diamonds.
2. Étincelle de Cartier Pink-Gold Diamond Ring – £2,840, Selfridges
If you're on a Cartier budget, this emerald-cut ring is a simple but utterly luxurious design. The diamond sits on a pink-gold band featuring brilliant-cut diamonds.
3. Emerald Cut Morganite Engagement Ring with Diamond Halo – from £737, Angara
The clever thing about Angara is that you can customise the quality of the band and stone to change the price. With this morganite engagement ring, for example, the very highest quality stone takes the price up to £1,259, and you'll be looking at £3,815 if you also go for 3.55 carats.
4. Rachel Boston Art Deco Style Diamond Ring – from £3,000, The Cut
This beautiful design is ideal for vintage-loving brides-to-be, featuring a central emerald-cut diamond flanked by smaller diamonds at the sides.
5. Ruth Tomlinson Aquamarine & Diamond Ring – £1,820, The Cut
Looking for an alternative engagement ring? This unique design has an emerald-cut aquamarine surrounded by gold granules and small white diamonds - it's bewitchingly pretty.
6. Juliet Ring – £1,790, Carat* London
We love the combination of a central emerald-cut stone with two round brilliant diamonds in Carat* London's Juliet ring. It's a simple style for everyday wear that still manages to look very special indeed. The band is also available in platinum, white gold and rose gold.
7. Trio Baguette & Lemon Diamond Engagement Ring – £3,250, Tomfoolery
This engagement ring is the ultra-contemporary way to rock an emerald-cut stone, with a white diamond taking centre stage, flanked by smaller diamonds in a delicate shade of yellow.
8. Black Diamond Ring – £2,000, Sophia Perez
Emerald-cut engagement rings really do work well with coloured stones, and as this stunning design shows, that includes a black centrepiece. It's chic and alternative, and the diamond-studded band keeps the overall look pretty.
9. Moissanite & Diamond Emerald Cut Ring – from £1,029, Aadvark Jewellery
If you're looking for a timeless, classic design, this elegant engagement ring could be just the thing. It has plenty of sparkle without being too much.
10. 9ct Yellow Gold Cubic Zirconia Emerald Cut Ring – £129, H Samuel
Elegance doesn't have to cost the earth. If you're on a budget, this H Samuel engagement ring is an excellent option - it's a simple-design that'll delight brides with a pared-back style.
READ MORE: 42 Simple Engagement Rings for Modern Brides
11. Sold 9ct Gold Amethyst Guinevere Ring – £585, Alison Moore Designs
Amethyst is a lovely gemstone choice for an emerald-cut engagement ring, as this eye-catching design shows. The vibrant purple really stands out against that textured band.
12. Garnet Rhodolite And 9ct Yellow Gold Solitaire Ring – £180, Myia Bonner
Emerald-cut rings are usually associated with large stones. However, the design works just as beautifully on a smaller scale, as with this garnet rhodolite ring, featuring a small, perfectly cut stone.
13. 9ct Rose Gold Diamond & Morganite Emerald Cut Ring – £1,325, Fraser Hart
If you want an emerald-cut engagement ring that's bound to get noticed, this Fraser Hart design could be the one for you. The combination of a sparkling Morganite central stone and a rose-gold band studded with diamonds is simply irresistible.
14. Ophelia Emerald Cut White Diamond Platinum Engagement Ring – £6,610, Jessica Flinn
This Art Deco design is undeniably elegant, with a stunning central white diamond framed by nestled diamonds and two further white diamonds. That's a lot of diamond.
15. Emmy London Platinum 1/2ct Diamond Fancy Ring – £2,499, H Samuel
Sticking with the Art Deco vibe, this Emmy London ring really is a thing of vintage-inspired beauty. We love the baguette-cut and round diamonds setting off that amazing emerald-cut central stone.
16. Le Vian 14ct Strawberry Gold And Peach Morganite Ring – £699, Ernest Jones
The unusual colour combination of this Le Vian ring is just so striking, with pretty peach Morganite surrounded by dramatic chocolate diamonds. It's an engagement ring unlike any other.
17. Suzanne Kalan Gold Emerald Cut Green Amethyst and Pavé Diamond Ring – £820, Liberty
This amethyst engagement ring is bewitchingly pretty, from the delicate hue of the central stone to those pavé-set diamonds that twinkle like stars.
18. Emerald Cut Diamond Engagement Ring in Platinum – from £3,250, Tiffany & Co
The beauty of this Tiffany ring lies in its simplicity. Everything is perfectly judged, from the central emerald-cut diamond to the pared-back band.
19. 18ct White Gold 0.26ct Diamond & Sapphire Ring – £1499, Ernest Jones
There's something wonderfully regal about this sapphire emerald-cut ring. It's ideal if your style leans towards refinement rather than embellishment.
20. Northern Star 0.76ct Emerald Cut Diamond 18ct White Gold Ring – £4,115, Fraser Hart
The best emerald-cut rings have diamond halos that enhance, rather than overwhelm, the central stone - and that's certainly true for this Fraser Hart design. It's a showstopper of an engagement ring with sophisticated feel.
21. Aquamarine Emerald Cut Ring – £555, Shiran Salem Jewellery
Emerald-cut stones aren't normally associated with floral designs, but as this divine aquamarine ring shows, it's a combination that works very well. It's a delightful option if you love nature-inspired jewellery.
22. Moonstone & Diamond Emerald-Cut Engagement Ring – from £978, Aadvark Jewellery
If sparkle isn't one of your engagement-ring priorities, moonstone is a romantic choice as an alternative to diamond - as this pretty ring shows, it has a delightfully soft, ethereal sheen.
23. Emerald Cut Peach Sapphire & Diamond Engagement Ring – from £891, Brilliant Rings
We love the delicate prettiness of this sapphire engagement ring. The emerald-cut central sapphire is flanked by both round and baguette-cut diamonds, which sparkle beautifully against the rose gold band.
24. DB Classic Emerald-Cut Diamond Ring – from £8,450, De Beers
For a push-the-boat-out engagement ring, it has to be De Beers. This emerald-cut solitaire is one for the modern minimalist, and will certainly stand the test of time - it's set to be your future family heirloom.
For even more sparkle, check out the biggest engagement ring trends for 2021.