As well as jokes and some humour, you need to have a sentimental aspect to your father of the bride speech, and that's where emotional father quotes and toasts come in.
Whether you pepper in some emotional dad quotes in the body of your speech, or end with a tear-jerking father of the bride toast, it's important that you include some sweet words about your daughter (as well as the embarrassing stories, that is!).
If emotional quotes for father of the bride speeches don't come naturally to you, and you're having a bit of writer's block on what to say, this selection of father of the bride quotes and toasts is bound to help.
30 Emotional Father of the Bride Toast & Quote Ideas
Split into quotes for father of the bride speeches and emotional toasts to end on, you can skip to the section you need, or browse both in the hopes of finding some emotional father quotes to get the room welling up.
Grab your tissues before reading, it's going to be a heartfelt few minutes!
- Emotional Dad Quotes for a Father of the Bride Speech
- Emotional Quotes for a Father of the Bride Toast
Emotional Dad Quotes for a Father of the Bride Speech
1. I don’t think any amount of preparation can ever leave you feeling ready to give your daughter away, but if I had to choose a person to hand her to, I would choose you every time.
2. Of all the amazing qualities that you possess, my favourite of all is that you always make those around you smile.
4. When you and I shared that moment earlier - that glimpse of the eye as I walked you down the aisle - please just know that’s a moment I will cherish forever.
5. Being the father of the bride today has made me feel more pride than I ever thought a person could feel.
6. I have to commend my daughter on her impeccable taste, because now's the time where I’m supposed to officially welcome [partner’s name] into our family, but the truth is you’ve been a part of this family since the day we met you.
7. Despite having 34 years to prepare a father of the bride speech for my daughter, I am still left standing here today, speechless at how beautiful she looks.
8. Of all the things I’ve done in my lifetime, being your father and caring for you is by far my biggest achievement yet.
9. Seeing your daughter looking so happy and radiant is a truly amazing experience, but it is tinged with a little sadness because it’s also the moment you realise she’s all grown up.
10. There's no relationship quite as special as the one a father has with his daughter, but if any bond was going to top ours, it's the one you have with [partner's name].
11. Fathers, be your daughter’s first love and she’ll never settle for anything less. Here's to my daughter's high standards and the incredible partner who's met them.
12. A father holds his daughter’s hand for a short while, but he holds her heart forever.
13. I know [child's name] will be an amazing partner, and I know that because if she’s anything like her mother, she’ll still be making you smile even 50 years on.
14. Now my daughter begins a new life and there will be another person who she’ll turn to for love and protection, but I want her to know that as her father I will always be there for her.
15. A successful marriage is not about finding a person you can live with, but finding a person that you can’t live without and I know you’ve found that with each other.
Emotional Father of the Bride Toast Ideas
16. To the happy couple, neither of you will ever be perfect, but you can be perfect together.
17. May your love be modern enough to survive the times and old-fashioned enough to last forever.
18. [Bride] and [partner], your life together is just starting and it will take many turns along the way. You’ll have your glory days and you’ll have your sad days. However, if you have each other, you will have all you need.
19. I don’t know what your future holds for you, and I know that twenty years from now many things will have happened that we can’t predict. But whatever happens, and wherever you go, your mum/dad and I know you’ll always have each other’s love, and you’ll always have ours.
20. It’s said that when your children find true love, parents find true joy, and that couldn't feel more true as I stand here today. Here’s to your joy and ours!
21. Raise your glasses to both [her partner] and me as we’ve each gained something this fine and blessed day. He/she gains a wife and a companion for life – and I gain the reassurance that my daughter will have someone incredible by her side for the rest of her life.
22. To my daughter. Today, [daughter] is the most beautiful bride I’ve seen since her mother 30 years ago.
23. There are two lasting bequests we can give our children. One is roots. The other is wings. Cheers to both!
24. To [partner's name], the day you asked me for my daughter’s hand in marriage was the day I finally stopped worrying about who will look after her when I no longer can.
25. To you both, may you always prioritise each other and remember what's important.
26. Here's to the happy couple, remember that a successful relationship
27. As Dr. Seuss once said, "You know you're in love when you don't want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - So please raise a glass to a life filled with less sleep and a dreamy reality.
28. Before I take a seat I have one last task to perform, and it’s a task that is both my honour and my privilege. Ladies and gentlemen, please raise your glasses and join with me in wishing the newlyweds a long, healthy and very happy future together. To the happy couple!
29. A toast: may all sweethearts become married couples, and may all married couples remain sweethearts.
30. Here’s to the past, for all that you’ve learnt. Here’s to the present, for all that you share. Here’s to the future, for all that you’ve got to look forward to.
Be sure to check out our collection of father of the bride speech examples if you’re in need of more inspiration or a template to follow.