Three tiers of fruit cake may be traditional, but there’s no limit to how creative you can be with your wedding cake. From cheese and cheesecake to vintage styling and “naked” options, we’ve picked out some creative cake ideas with a difference.
- Glamour from GC CouturePerfect for giving your reception some star-style scrumptiousness, the GC Couture range from Genuine Cakes includes celebrity-inspired looks, from the classic blue and white Audrey to the elegant pearl and flower adorned Marilyn. With 39 sponge flavours to choose from, including amaretto fruitcake or chocolate and chilli (if you dare to be different), there’s also fruitcake “without the bits” for tradition with an ultra-glamorous twist.
Contact GC Couture for more details:
- Naked Cakes from Ivory & RoseKeep a “rustic chic” theme going with a stripped back style for your cake from Ivory & Rose. “Naked” styles, like the organic summer fruit tower with its exposed sponge cake, are very popular — or if you want something more classic, how about gold cabbage leaves for a quirky decoration on a simple white cake?
Contact Ivory & Rose for more details:
- Vintage Style by The Laura May Cake CompanyTraditional needn’t mean ordinary if you pick an elegant, retro-style cake like this vintage green and gold iced style from The Laura May Cake Company. Or take your inspiration from an old-fashioned china pattern with the “Hearts & Flowers” cake, or a timeless lace-overlay for subtle chic.
Contact The Laura May Cake Company for more details:
- Award Winning Cake Sweet CakeThe symbol of love: what could be more appropriate (or yummy) than a Bed of Roses cake? Cake Sweet Cake has a string of unusual options to choose from, including a wedding-dress influenced creation called Pearls & Petticoats and a honeymoon-inspired cake complete with sandy beach — and don’t forget the floral extravaganza. As the creator of these stunning designs, Cake Sweet Cake was a deserved winner of the hitched.co.uk Breakthrough Awards 2012.
Contact Cake Sweet Cake for more details:
- Celebrate with Catherine ScottAs it’s your big day, why not choose a huge cake to match? But instead of tiers galore, a towering chocolate design, covered in swirls and flowers, will look and taste amazing. The Natalie Cake from Celebration Cakes by Catherine Scott (or a striking version covered in sheets of dark and white chocolate) can even double as dessert. Simplicity can be equally eye-catching, with a tall cake decorated in monochrome icing.
Contact Celebration Cakes by Catherine Scott for more details:
- Make Believe with Aunt Julie’s BakeryIt would be a crime against cake not to obey the “Eat Me” instruction on this whimsical creation from Aunt Julie’s Bakery — no surprise that it was shortlisted in the hitched.co.uk Breakthrough Awards 2012. The 2013 collection is equally fun and fantastical with a metallic gold cake featuring lace-style appliqué, or a delicious birdcage-style cake.
Contact Aunt Julie’s Bakery for more details:
- A Fairytale Finish by Rosalind MillerIf you’re looking for a fairytale finish to your reception, adding a gorgeous splash of colour by scattering peonies over the cake (as shown on this Rosalind Miller design) is perfect. Another shortlisted entrant in the hitched.co.uk Breakthrough Awards 2012, Rosalind’s collection also includes a magical black and white cake, with silhouetted cameo style figures, and a fairytale “cupcake cake”, featuring edible flower petals and butterflies.
Contact Rosalind Miller for more details:
- Be Unique with The English cheesecake companyCake or cheese? Cheese or cake? If you can’t decide, combine the two with a cheesecake wedding cake from The English Cheesecake Company. As well as a tiered profiterole cheesecake for a traditional choice with a twist, you can have individual minis — or even cupcake cheesecakes — for your guests to enjoy
Contact the English Cheesecake Company for more details:
- Spoiled for Choice by The Pretty Cake Company
If you’re not sure which style of cake to choose, The Pretty Cake Company has the solution to most dilemmas, including several clever combination designs with a top tier to cut and gorgeous individual cupcakes underneath to distribute. Or, take your inspiration from your gifts with a cake iced to look like a stack of presents. If you’re after something pretty, look no further!
Contact The Pretty Cake Company for more details:
- Savoury Flavour from C’est CheeseNot got a sweet tooth? If you want a centrepiece that will really stick in people’s minds, it’s hard to beat a towering concoction made of different cheeses. C’est Cheese makes bespoke creations as well as giving advice on what to choose; after all, Camembert in a hot room might not be something every guest will enjoy. And with 2013’s range inspired by vintage, muted colours and Downton Abbey’s 20s theme, you won’t be settling for anything less than stylish.
Contact C’est Cheese for more details:
WIN a wedding cheese cake for your big day with C’est Cheese throughout January 2013: Enter Now