On Hitched.co.uk since 2022
Last update: November 2023
The Town Hall Hotel is a Hackney-based wedding venue located in London, England. This luxurious hotel offers multiple event spaces for couples to host their big day. Whether you're planning a civil ceremony or extravagant reception, the onsite team will make sure you have an unforgettable wedding weekend.
Facilities and Capacity
Standing since 1909, The Town Hall Hotel has served as a backdrop for many soon-to-be-weds to exchange their vows. Your day will begin in the Assemble Room, where your friends and family can gather and mingle before your ceremony begins. They will then make their way to the Council Chamber, where up to 100 guests can be seated for ceremonies. After your ceremony concludes, you can then choose between the De Montfort Suite and Bethnal Hall to dine and dance the night away. In the De Montfort Suite, a high ceiling, large windows, and exposed wooden floors make for a classic, elegant setting. Guest will be welcome to enjoy bubbles and canapés and maybe a tune or two on the grand piano. For larger gatherings, the oak-panelled, art deco Bethnal Hall makes an ideal place to host receptions. The versatile floor plan can easily host celebrations with up to 120 guests. In addition, couples and their guests will have multiple bedrooms and apartments to choose from for a relaxing overnight stay.
A dedicated wedding planner and events team will work closely with you during the wedding planning process, from your first venue visit to your first-anniversary return visit. You will have multiple wedding packages to choose from to best suit your needs and wants. Multiple menu items are also available to complete your wedding experience.
Bundle and save time!
Contact The Town Hall Hotel and their preferred suppliers
The Town Hall Hotel
Richard Murgatroyd Photography
Frequently asked questions
Venue Staff Assistance:
Venue Leisure Facilities:
Do you have any questions?
ReviewsWrite a review
21 User photos
The dream wedding venue!
Our friends and family are still raving about the Town Hall Hotel now, from the beauty of the venue, the ease of the day, the delicious food and how much fun they had!
Lovely interiors but that's about it.
- We stayed at the hotel the night before our wedding, room 101, the supposedly “bridal suite” where the only place to hang my wedding dress was off the window ledge. Quite a precarious spot where the hanger could have slipped off at any point. How does a five-star hotel doesn’t have merely a nail high enough on a wall where brides can hang their dresses so the train is not bunched up on the floor. My train wasn't even that long. Front of house staff suggested I hang it in a room just off the front desk (?).
- We spent months going back and forth with the events coordinators to finalise the last details and make sure everything was set up the way we requested. The chairs in the Council Chamber were not set up like agreed. There were family members sitting on the main floor (pit) when there should have only been two chairs for us to sit down during the reading portion of the ceremony, we had to stand instead. The chairs are not nailed to the floor. Why couldn’t they be set up as requested?
- The main table wasn’t set up as we requested, there was supposed to be a gap in front of my partner and me at the table, instead, there were two people sitting in front of us. The floral arrangement prevented us from being able to talk to them properly. At no point was it communicated that the seats would be changed without our approval which meant the seating plan we printed for our guests to find their seats wasn’t 100% accurate.
- My partner had to deal with the music not playing during the reception meal instead of enjoying himself because they didn’t have the correct plug. The venue should provide a device that is already plugged in for couples to put their music in. My partner’s best man ended up leaving his phone for the music to play because it would only connect to an iPhone (not an iPad or Android).
- Staff doing the service were not dressed appropriately for a wedding. There were members of staff wearing plain white t-shirts with jeans, others with mismatched black and grey t-shirts doing the meal service. Not the unifying look you expect to see at a wedding.
- One of our vendors had requested assistance from the venue to be able to set up prior to the day but they were not assisted the way the venue confirmed to us they would. This was the only vendor we had booked that hadn’t worked with the hotel before.
- Maybe the reason why so many things went wrong was the fact that the wedding coordinator we had been speaking to since our initial booking for May 2020 left 3 weeks before our wedding - passing the baton to someone else. Was there a lack of debrief/communication between them? It was clear once she knew she was leaving, that she had no interest in helping us continue to plan our day.
- The cake and takeaway boxes for guests were put out later than expected (after 9 pm) and together with the toasties making it a weird combination. The cake was cut at 7:30 pm.
- We asked for a menu of the drinks the bar would be serving the evening of the wedding but found that some of the drinks in the menu provided to us weeks prior were not available to order. There was no menu on the night either which meant guests didn’t know what was available and what they could or couldn’t order. A bar with no menu?
- We did the menu tasting in Feb’20 and chose it right before having to postpone our wedding a year and a half. The food we tasted in 2020 was unreal, it was elegant, well presented and the flavours were exquisite. In our second tasting Aug’21 the quality just wasn’t there anymore. They had changed chefs. We requested for the same menu we chose in 2020 to be served and even provided images of how it was presented. Once the chef agreed to do the same menu we requested to go for another tasting to do a final check but we were denied it. All in all the meal we were served at the wedding was good apart from the main dish which was incredibly disappointing, didn't have enough sauce and was served ice cold. The main also didn’t match the original dish 100% like the hotel confirmed to us it would.
- I was given a bottle of prosecco by the venue to share with my bridesmaids the morning of the wedding at 10:30 am after we had opened our bottle of champagne. Both my partner and I agreed the bottle should have been in the room with a note when we checked in the night before. There was no acknowledgment from anyone in the venue when we checked in that we were celebrating our wedding the next day.
- After the confetti and group photos were done, nobody from the venue was present to direct guests back inside to the canape reception. Collectively everyone just wandered back inside.
- The morning of the wedding, we requested three times for ice to be brought to the room I was getting ready in, in the end, my brother had to go with the ice bucket to the kitchen to get it filled.
- We received good service overall on the day, throughout the meal the drinks were topped up often and staff were polite and attentive.
- Apart from the main, the rest of the food throughout the day was good. The house wines were also great.
- There is no denying that the hotel has beautiful interiors which act as a wonderful backdrop for pictures.
- Moving around the hotel for the different parts of the wedding was also a great plus. The whole day is spread in multiple rooms so it doesn’t feel like you are in the same room the whole day.
- Props to the lady that was handed off to oversee the rest of the night when the wedding coordinator left, she worked flat out to make sure the water station was refilled, the lights were dimmed down, the music was lowered down for speeches and air conditioning was on and the night went on without any extra hiccups.
Overall, all of these small things which might seem small by themselves just added extra unnecessary stress to a day that can already be a bit stressful to begin with and that is supposed to be happy and joyful.
I’m a detail-oriented person (like many couples planning their wedding are - after all, it’s a once-in-a-lifetime event) and felt like the hotel didn’t match my expectation in being able to deliver on these details, some of which they confirmed they would.
Overall the events team at Town Hall Hotel does not inspire confidence that they can handle an event the magnitude of a wedding. I would not recommend couples to book their wedding at the Town Hall Hotel.
We are so glad we chose Town Hall Hotel for our wedding
However, there are a few constructive things to add. Firstly, we did feel a little lost leading up to the big day with lost of questions being dealt with via e-mail with the previous Event planner. Thankfully, when Shazia took over she agreed to have a meeting and explained it all so quickly and easily which was really appreciated! I also feel with the previous Event planner that if I didn’t ask a certain question, we might not have been given the answer so perhaps a little more upfront information would have helped i.e. how will the wedding cake would be stored, how the sound system worked in the council chamber etc. Secondly, the rooms (we stayed in 101) were incredibly hot which we were told was due to a centralised heating system that kicked in October, even though the weather was very mild. The staff were amazing in bringing us fans and did everything they could to resolve this. However, perhaps this heating system could be reviewed.
All in all we are so glad we chose Town Hall Hotel and Shazia and Martha (who took over in the evening) were the perfect planners/organizers!
The Perfect Venue for a London Wedding
Great Service and Fantastic Food
Our wedding day was amazing
We did have an amazing day, and it felt very special - we are glad we chose the venue and would recommend it; however we think some of those details if addressed would make it an even more special experience.
Stylish East London venue!
The venue is really beautiful, both inside and out, which provides a lovely backdrop to the big day. The Council Chamber is a particularly gorgeous art deco room, and the rest of the hotel is very nicely styled (lots of marble, wood panelling, plenty of plants, nice lighting). This all makes for really nice pictures.
The food and wine options were all fantastic, and the various different rooms and spaces available for usage meant that we could add some variety into the day despite everything taking place in one venue. Lack of outdoor space is a slight drawback but guests can easily pop outside if they fancy some fresh air. The venue is also very easily accessed by public transport, which minimises any hassle with arranging parking for guests.
Very considerate, positive and helpful
Wonderful wedding venue
The Perfect Venue For A London Wedding
The venue is just beautiful and we loved all the quirky pieces of art around it. If we could do it all over again we totally would!
Perfect wedding venue, perfect wedding planner!
Tia and her team were fabulous all day and throughout the entire planning process. Tia was amazing from the day we booked, always happy to help with any queries. On the day itself, everything was totally seamless but chilled at the same time, and everyone said that we seemed relaxed which we were, knowing that everything was taken care of! The food and drink were also sensational, and we loved our tasting day.
Looking back on our day, we wouldn't change a thing. Thank you to Tia and the THH team for giving us such great memories.
We had the most incredible weekend and dreamiest wedding day, and we wish we could do it all over again!
Townhall Hotel & Apartments - November Weddinv
Following dinner at the Corner Room restaurant and a sneak around the venue, we knew that the Townhall Hotel was the place we wanted to get married. The council chamber in particular impressed us, and hasn’t disappointed it is a wonderful room to get married in. Our guests commented how stunning the venue was.
We booked to get married 09 March 2019, but sadly our daughter arrived 3.5 months sooner than expected and we were forced to move our wedding to a new date in November whilst we were in hospital with our daughter. Tia and the team at the venue could not have been more accommodating during this time, and allowed us to plan our wedding for this new date despite only being able to give them a few weeks notice before the original date.
Our wedding, was everything we hoped it would be. Tia and Roberto are friendly, helpful and there to ensure your day is just how you want it to be. They were able to suggest ideas and small details that really made the day memorable - especially the ‘reveal’.
The food and wine at the tasting was excellent, and we have had many guests comment how great it was on the night.
Tia helped ensure the day moved smoothly and helped usher the guests from ceremony, to pictures, to dinner.
Together with our guests we had the most magical day, and are so happy we chose the Townhall Hotel as our wedding location.
Simon, Fleur and baby Florence
Great venue for a wedding!
Tia and all of the Town Hall staff were fantastic and answered our many questions in a timely manner, which was especially helpful since we live in California. The day of, Tia was incredibly helpful in getting us where we needed to be, and keeping things on schedule! ;)
Overall, we highly recommend Town Hall Hotel and Apartments for your wedding, whether you live in the UK or abroad.
Did the reviews win you over?
The Town Hall Hotel Real Weddings
Would you like to schedule a visit?