Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner August 2013

First Dance Song Appropriateness?!

AVH1403, 25 of May of 2013 at 22:32 Posted on Planning 0 25

I'm hoping you might all be able to help me out with this one as I feel that I don't want to tell friends what our first dance song is going to be so it's a surprise on the day, so I've not really discussed this with anyone but my OH.

Biffy Clyro's Many of Horror has been 'our song' for years, I can't even remember how it ended up being our song but it very much is.

However the closer we get to the wedding, the more conscious I am that the lyrics are a little bit questionable, and although the way we both interpret it is as being about a love so strong that any bad times are well worth it, I'm wondering how it may look to others.

If anyone is unfamiliar with the lyrics: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/biffyclyro/manyofhorrorwhenwecollide.html

Would you be shocked to hear this as a first dance song? Should we stick with this song which means a lot to both of us, or should we simply pick something standard and grandma friendly so as to avoid anyone misinterpreting the lyrics? Will anyone even notice the lyrics?

Any thoughts will be appreciated, whether negative or positive!

25 replies

Latest activity by Michelle, 26 of October of 2021 at 14:27
  • Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I like it, I agree some would question how appropriate the lyrics are but it's how you and your H2B interpret them that matters. How many people are going to be actually listening to the words while watching you dance anyway?

• 2b_MrsB
    Beginner June 2013
    2b_MrsB ·
    • Hide content

This is one of my all time favourites !!

I don't think its inappropriate at all, the lyrics ( for me at least ) are about how the couple come together through times of difficulty, getting through them together and how they will continue to do so in the future and remain solid.

• Hannahface26
    Beginner October 2014
    Hannahface26 ·
    • Hide content

I'd say the bottom line is... who cares?! It's your song, and It's your wedding!! Smiley smile

You're not doin it for them, you're doing it for you and your OH. Smiley smile

I love your song. Keep it. Smiley smile

xx

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

Personally I have always viewed this song to be about a violent and abusive relationship, one that the participants are scared to leave because they think they will never find anyone else so the pain and suffering is better than being alone.

But that's just my view and I can understand and appreciate your interpretation of it, so if that's what it means to you then go for it! If the song means that much to you as a couple then it would be a shame to pick something else that might feel second best ?

Just don't have the version that the reality tv show guy did!

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

Oh I love this song. I have always thought it is about a relationship that is passionate and addictive and toxic and desperate. It's your song so it doesn't matter what it means to other people, it's about what it means to you. Have it.

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

You're more likely to remember your first dance and treasure the moment if it's a song that means something to you. I've played some questionable songs in my time (not suggesting that this one is) and I'm sure no one has really noticed or cared. In the excitement of the moment and guests will be trying to get a picture of you, they are unlikely to be listening to the lyrics.

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content

We had this as our first dance! We're both huge Biffy fans and this has always been one of our favourites. We didn't even think about the lyrics, we were more worried that people might think we like it due to Matt Cardle! The DJ found a really cool version of it that we hadn't heard before too.

Go for it!

• Polkadots_and_Pincurls
    Beginner June 2015
    Polkadots_and_Pincurls ·
    • Hide content

WellWell Ill be, I had no idea Matt Cardle wasnt the original singer of that song! Im prefer the original., its lovely.

It means something to you, thats all that matters- our first dance potential song has the line "I had no idea that we would die today" in bit, lol.

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    AVH1403 ·
    • Hide content

Thank you all very much, my mind has definitely been put at rest!!x

• RockabillyBaker
    Curious August 2014
    RockabillyBaker ·
    • Hide content

Yep totally fine and a great song. Now I went to a wedding where they played the main theme to Schindler's list for the Bride's entrance. Now that was odd, they had never seen the film before and just heard it on a classical music disc and thought it was pretty. On the day no one said anything so I think you can get away with a lot music wise on your wedding day so why not play everything you want.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha ha ha! Brilliant. You can't get much more 'inappropriate' than that! Although, I think Ralph Fiennes is rather fit in that film, which is all kinds of wrong.

I'm with most on this, you have what you want! I was getting ticked off with OH when he kept saying we should have something more 'weddingy' than Sabotage by the Beastie Boys. Define 'wedding-y'?!

It's the significance of the song that's important, not the meaning of the lyrics. Just be glad you have a 'song'. Me and OH don't (although we both love music) and it's been a nightmare trying to choose!!

• loadsagifts
    Beginner January 2012
    loadsagifts ·
    • Hide content

Go for it! your day, your song................I wanted to do the thriller dance down the aisle lol but thought that was a bit too much!

• Forever Wedding Dance
    Rockstar September 2013
    Forever Wedding Dance ·
    • Hide content

I do first dance choreography and song choices have included Doop, Deeply Dippy, Ghostbusters, Let's Get Ready to Rhumble and U Can't Touch This so I am guessing these people did not choose the music with any heavy meaning attributed to the lyrics! However I know what you mean as your song does have a slight darkness to it that you could interpret in different ways.

Still, I think the people that know it will enjoy it and the ones that don't probably won't be listening too closely to the words anyway. You should definitely go for a song that means something to you. There are certain songs that I'm asked for time and again because they are classics and appropriate but I love it when people ask for something unusual.

Oh and I'll never forget this - at my uncle's wedding in the 90's they had 'Don't be a stranger' by Dinah Carroll and the bride sang it to my uncle all the way through the dance as the words obviously meant a lot to her. Later, someone who had missed the dance asked my uncle what music he'd had and he said 'Oh, something by Earth, Wind and Fire!' so even HE wasn't listening properly!!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh no really Smiley sad that makes me sad *team biffy*

back to the op though our song is 'mountains' but we couldn't find an acoustic version. It was released about a month after our wedding. Boo to biffy.

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

We haven't picked it due to the opening line, but your interpretation of the song is correct, it is about being so in love and having an argument, it is not about an abusive relationship the 'bruises' are metaphorical as in bruises on your heart from saying horrible things to each other, but no e of that matters after the argument because love is stronger than anger. But I couldn't start my first dance with 'you say I love you boy, I know you lie.'

however it is an amazing song and if it is your song and you dont mind you should have it no matter what anyone else may or may not think!

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

I feel your pain! We are both massive Biffy fans and we're dying to have a song in the wedding but as much as they've made some gorgeous slower ones... none of them scream wedding. Saw them live last month and the thaw was quite special but again, not quite apropriate.

We so nearly had machines as our first dance, i love the line "i would dig a thousand holes to lay next to you' but the whole song is so beautifully sad.

We've decided on a song called 'the girl' by City And Colour which also means a lot to us.

Love the accoustic of mountains too, think somewhere during the ceremony a Biffy song must make an appearance!!

Just maybe not god or satan Smiley winking

x

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

The acoustic 'mountains' is lovely. I wish we had incorporated that somewhere.

like how this thread has turned into a biffy love-fest!

• vintagedreams
    Beginner August 2013
    vintagedreams ·
    • Hide content

My OH took me to see them, he got me the tickets for Christmas, I flipping love, love, love biffy! The thaw was funny when we went because it was very thick snow in Sheffield and it had been a bit touch and go would the gig go ahead, but the fact everyone had 'battled the elements' to get there made the atmosphere even better. 'Mon the biff!'

• erincat
    Beginner August 2013
    erincat ·
    • Hide content

Love Love Love Biffy!

If u want that song, then have it!

• ~Peanut~
    Beginner December 2012
    ~Peanut~ ·
    • Hide content

If it's "your" song then go for it. We couldn't have any of "our" songs as the first dance because none of them were songs we could dance to, which was a shame. We really wanted Brand New Colony by The Postal Service but couldn't find a decent acoustic version of it anywhere.

• Bookish
    Beginner August 2014
    Bookish ·
    • Hide content

I was wondering the same thing about 'Cosmic Love' by Florence and the machine. It's beautiful...but rather dark?!

• freckles87
    Beginner May 2013
    freckles87 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I went to this too! They were amazing. I can't wait to see them headlining Leeds festival this year, it will be good to see them finally getting the recognition they deserve, I feel like a proud parent haha!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I saw biffy in 2004 at a tiny venue called the Wedgewood rooms and again at wembley in 2007 supporting muse. Love them.

• Spence
    Beginner October 2021 Greater Manchester
    Spence ·
    • Hide content
    I would use your own feelings as your own interpretation about how the song plays out in your life. It’s a very moving, uplifting song tinged with sadness.
    We plan to get married this Friday but that’s only if our little girl is well enough to leave hospital. She’s a very poorly girl and has been for some time.
    This how we see this song “the difficulties of life is portrayed in many different ways” ours is the profound issues that we face daily with our daughter. Xx
  • Michelle
    VIP July 2024 Cheshire
    Michelle ·
    • Hide content
    I had never heard this song before but i think its a good song its a song that reminds me of what me an my partner have been through together i want to listen to this all the time i think you should go for it x Its your song that means somethin to you both not what other peope think go for it x💗

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics