Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B
Beginner August 2013

Cheap Wedding Dresses in Kent

babamajka, 12 of January of 2013 at 22:00 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hello,

I am new here but I am finding this website useful. I also like that I am now able to share my worries with other women in the same situation and hopefully I will find the advice I need.

Anyway, I have been in the Ashford boutiques apart from Tiara and Tails but I have heard its quite expensive. Found really nice dresses but the one that suited me was 600 Pronovias (Absolutely stunning though) but I just find it too much money Smiley sad

We have a wedding budget planned and I think its not worth it paying above 300 pounds for a dress (personally. I know some of the brides here pay much much more but in my personal opinion, its not worth it to pay so much money for something I am going to wear for a few hours.) Of course I want to look pretty etc etc but I am sure there are some affordable dresses somewhere in the south east Kent that are still nice??

I tried preloved and other websites but I am afraid to buy something without trying it on. I tried on a dress which I found beautiful when I saw it on the hanger but it just didnt look good on me. I know what style suits me now at least (like the Pronovias one which I loved).

Any other brides in a similar position? Any advice?

6 replies

Latest activity by Daisymclazy, 13 of January of 2013 at 19:46
  • mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Peter recommended Oxfam bridal wear shops, they're either preloved or new donated by designers, snip of the price, but also you get to go in and try it on in person.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/local-shops/oxfam-bridal-departments

• Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+
    Embrace Bridal Boutique - Exclusively 16+ ·
    • Hide content

I think everybody has their own personal opinions on what is important to them with their budget. When I got married the 2nd time my total budget for everything was £4000. We had a very beautiful day, flowers were fantastic, hotel was first class etc etc. We decided early on that we would spend a large percentage of our budget on a good photographer (it was £1200) as they would be our lasting memories. My husband is now dead so Im so pleased that we made that decision as I have some lovely pictures of our day.

Wedding dress shops have quality gowns that are constructed well, finished properly and have a good fit. You also have the benefit of our experience and have someone you can go back to if you have a problem like one of my brides did recently. She bought a red maribou shrug to wear over her dress and brought it into the shop a week before her wedding to try it. When she took the shrug off it had died the lace red on her dress. I was under no obligation to do anything, she had not bought the shrug from me and I was simply storing the dress for the wedding. However I spent the weekend removing beading, unpicking lace, cleaning it with cotton buds then reattaching the lace and beading. I had 5 weddings that week so its not as if i was sitting doing nothing, however I could not see a distraught bride. I didnt charge her to do the work either.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for but before resorting to buying from China try the local wedding boutiques as many will have end of season sales on at the moment and you should be able to pick up a beautiful dress for your budget, although not the Pronovias I would have thought.

Good luck with your hunt.

• sophkitten
    Beginner May 2015
    sophkitten ·
    • Hide content

There are a few good bridal shops in Maidstone and Jodi's in particular have quite good sample sales, got my dress for £500 when it was usually £1300 new!x

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    babamajka ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the link but those are all very far away from me..

I am sorry your husband has died and I understand the photography... I have my best friend doing the photography which I am very thankful for as I am saving a lot of money on that.

I have noticed in the one shop I went to that the woman was very helpful, very nice and she was aware of the huge responsibility she had. I wouldnt buy one of those cheap dresses from China - I need to try it on as I found out first hand that no matter how much you love the dress, it might not love you... The Pronovias I tried on was originaly twice as much but it was a dress that they stopped making thats why it was so "cheap" (for a Pronovias anyway). But saying that, the quality was obvious.

But I am sure that there are affordable dresses in these shops I just dont know which ones to go to and which ones to avoid as some might have some cheaper dresses and others might sell only higher priced dresses.

Thanks for explaining your dedication Smiley smile I am sure the bride was very happy with your help and would recommend you anytime.

• L
    Beginner April 2013
    LisBee ·
    • Hide content

Hi Monsoon have some really lovely dresses and have a sale on at the min! Have a look on website, but think they have some different ones in shops! ?

• B
    Beginner August 2013
    babamajka ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice about the Maidstone shop - will check it out Smiley smile

I have checked the Monsoon website and didnt find anything I like. I suppose I shouldnt be so fussy with a lower budget...

• Daisymclazy
    Beginner July 2012
    Daisymclazy ·
    • Hide content

Hi there,

Look out for wedding fairs at Ashford International - the one I went to had a load of wedding shops selling off their samples at bargain prices. I bought my dress at one for £250, retail was £700+ . It did need cleaning as folks had tried it on which was another £100 but all in all not bad.

Only other downer was that I had to take it away there and then - approx 9 months before the wedding and it had to live in my Mum's house...BUT, it was a perfect fit and absolutely beautiful.

A tip... take someone with you and try on dresses that don't take your fancy, you might be surprised by what you love once you've got it on - good luck! x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics