Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Skeptical78
Beginner September 2013

How 'meaningful' do your ceremony music choices have to be?!

Skeptical78, 29 of April of 2013 at 14:38 Posted on Planning 0 45

This, basically.

Me and OH are both MASSIVE music fans; but we don't really have 'a song' and our taste in music is pretty diverse and different. I'm trying to pick music for the ceremony and I'm finding it the hardest thing so far! (reception is all sorted)

I don't want to pick a daft love song that neither of us particularly like, just to 'fit' the wedding context.

Do I pick a song I like to walk down the aisle, or a song he likes? My musical tastes change with my moods, so I might pick something, then think 'Meh' on the day.

Does it matter if the lyrics aren't really relevant to the situation? I don't want it to be too 'bride-y', but at the same time I don't want to feel like Phil 'The Power' Taylor making his way to the oche for the final of the World Darts Championship (as much as I may look like him...?)

I'm currently veering toward something up-tempo as we're not a soppy / romantic couple (hence neither of us really like love songs- OH says they are 'lazy'!), plus something bouncy will stop me from crying on the day.

Alternatively, I could just walk down the aisle with no music. I assume that this can be done?! Has anyone done this? Was it weird?

How did you make your decisions? If anyone has any recommendations for a jangly / guitar-based / indie / alternative / 80s / non-female vocal / non-soppy / appropriate aisle-walking song, let me know! (I swear to God, there should be some sort of online service for this)

The closest I have come so far are this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rSRLFw2RUc (fave so far, but I'm worried as it has a ref to 'soul') , this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg6J5VT5VRM or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYwyjwFg-Zg

Oh, and it's a reg office do- so no religious refs or nuffink.

45 replies

Latest activity by Icklefee, 1 of May of 2013 at 20:33
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I walked down the aisle to Tender by Blur. It was a no-brainer. My favourite band (and one of his), slightly soppy indie love song, massive dramatic entrance.

Perfect!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

To be honest, I have no idea what I had. I met with our pianist for a couple of hours, he played some classical pieces and I picked the ones I liked the sound of. Job done.

• D
    Beginner June 2013
    dwindlingsun ·
    • Hide content

It took me a my OH hours to choose the music we are having - including going through the whole of our ITunes collection and discounting every song I own!! I also struggled with over listening to lyrics and deciding they weren't suitable (particularly with Mumford and Sons which was such a shame!). In the end we went for a bit of a mixture with Tracy Chapman, Ed Sheeran, Obadiah Parker (who does an awesome cover of Hey Ya) and Modest Mouse, none of them are too soppy and all have some kind of meaning to the both of us! I was a bit worried that we wouldn't be allowed "Hey Ya" cos at one point it says "thank god for mum and dad" but checked with the registar and they said that is was fine. Good luck!! xxx

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    Amaranth ·
    • Hide content

We're walking down the aisle to Glasgow Love Theme by Craig Armstrong (which, aside from being gorgeous, pleased me as a very proud Glaswegian), we'll have Chopin's Nocturne op.9 no. 2 played as we sign the registry (my favourite classical piece, pretty and non-intrusive enough to suffice as background music), and we're having 20-odd seconds of the trumpets from Mendelssohn's Midsummer Night's Dream played during the kiss, which will then segue into Hall & Oates You Make My Dreams Come True as we boogie down the aisle as a married couple.

Neither of us are big music nerds- although we both like classical stuff- and so we opted to keep it feeling mildly traditional until the serious bits are over. A major contender was Romantic Flight from the How To Train Your Dragon soundtrack, but it makes me bawl like a child, and we decided that I'd be teary enough without music tipping me over. I'm a crier. But it's a stunning piece of music.

I love the idea of walking down the aisle to "The Look of Love". LOVE it. So much fun.

• bex_boo
    Beginner August 2014
    bex_boo ·
    • Hide content

I have a similar issue. We don't have any songs, and I don't want anything too soppy, that really wouldn't be very me.

I am thinking about walking down to "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry. Total cheese and would hopefully make people smile. But not sure, because I am aware that it is kind of odd and maybe not very classy to have a pop song like that.

Am very interested to read what others are having and their thoughts on their song choices (maybe I can steal some of your ideas instead of being a cheesy pop princess). x

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Ooh this is my kind of thread! I don't think they have to be 'meaningful' in the traditional sense but perhaps 'meaningful' to you both (or just something you both like!)

I am planning to walk down the aisle to a string quartet version of 'Movie Script Ending' by Death Cab for Cutie. During the signing of the registar we will have Mr Blue Sky by ELO (OH's fave song) and not quite sure what else yet.

When we walk out, we'll have 'be my yko ono' by barenaked ladies...

Then our first dance will be 'Something Changed' by Pulp.

Wedding plannign/choosing songs etc wasn't somethign I'd ever thought about really but these choices were quite easy for us as they all have some sort of relevance to us. I think maybe just take a step back from it and think about what you liek to listen to.

:-)

Emma

• E
    Beginner October 2013
    Emma158 ·
    • Hide content

Blimey please excuse all those typos!!!!!!!!!!

• W
    Beginner December 2013
    WontBaJonesmuchlonger ·
    • Hide content

We are having a movie themed wedding! So I'm walking down the aisle to kissing you from Romeo and Juliet........

• TamarValleyGirl
    Beginner May 2013
    TamarValleyGirl ·
    • Hide content

We're massive music fans too, with very eclectic taste, but we're obviously far too cool for anything soppy ? Our music will be meaningful to us, but will probably have a lot of guests scratching their heads!

OH is determined to have his own entrance music - The Imperial March from Star Wars. He's also chosen our exit music, which I'm very pleased and excited about - the theme tune from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends! We're huge fans of the show, and the theme is so fun and happy ?

For signing the register, I'm considering Elvis' I Can't Help Falling in Love with You. OH is a huge Elvis fan, but he doesn't like the love songs (although MIL loves them). My late grandad used to play it often, so I thought we might just have this one little soppy moment. This is still up for discussion...

For my entrance, I haven't a clue! It will definitely be something by a metal band, but not a screamy shouty song, obv. Maybe Kaiowas by Sepultura.

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I'm walking down the aisle to November Rain by Guns n Roses (instrumental version because the lyrics really don't seem appropriate), signing the register to Tome of your life by Green Day and then walking out to Kiss Me by Sixpence none the Richer, so all a little bit varied to say the least. Just to confuse our guests even more we have Jason Mraz I'm Yours for our first dance and a Reggae-vibe rock band!

• F
    Beginner November 2013
    FutureBright ·
    • Hide content

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to recreate the entire video for my wedding but the H2B and Best Man are absolutely refusing point blank to grow their hair and dress like Axel and Slash. How rude!

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

We're playing It Must Be Love by Madness in our ceremony, everyone has to get up and sing, and I'm hoping to see some bopping around too.

OH chose the music to send the rings around with, it's Don't Ever Change by The Kinks, very cute!

I am not sure wait I am walking in to yet.... Something upbeat yet meaningful.

Once the celebrant announces the bar open and the party started I might go for Kool and the Gang's Celebrate. Or Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder. That would do the old folks heads in Smiley winking

Oh my! This is making me get all emotional, and excited, and scared!!!

• Daenerys Targaryen
    Beginner May 2013
    Daenerys Targaryen ·
    • Hide content

Ohh I understand your pain, i ended up going for piano pieces because i couldnt choose!! Although Iris - Goo Goo dolls was my favourite.

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

I'm obsessed with thinking of songs for our ceremony and we've still got forever to go! Stupidly I think it's one of the things I'm most excited by - I've always wanted life to be like the films where there's big music playing so I guess this is the closest I'm going to get ? No idea what we'll eventually choose (although your phil the power taylor reference has made me start thinking of songs like ye of the tiger!! haha!. Some of the songs I've considered so far for walking the isle are:

Crystal Fighters - You and I, Joes Gonzalez Heartbeats, Nina Simone, Feeling Good, Chris Malinchak So Good to Me and the Lumineers Ho Hey.

Loving this thread for song ideas though!

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content

Oops typos galore. That should have been music playing during big life moments and eye of the tiger!

• Icklefee
    Super May 2014
    Icklefee ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

this is one of the songs we'll have playing while the guests assemble.... and <shudders> Aerosmith Don't Want to Miss a Thing. My beloved is the romantic in our relationship and has visions of this song being played at every opportunity. At least it will be done with before I get there!

• T
    Beginner July 2014
    Turtleiris ·
    • Hide content

Well I'm walking down the aisle to good riddance by green day. Maybe not the typical choice but the words are appropriate to us! For signing the register thinking along the lines of one day like this by elbow and haven't got anymore yet. Not sure about what to go up the aisle married as yet so will be interested to read others.

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

Oasis. Oasis every time. Except I can't have them cos we're getting married in a church, but if I could choose, I would walk down the aisle to Whatever and that wonderful orchestral opening :-)

• Ohwhatatuesday
    Beginner May 2014
    Ohwhatatuesday ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes love the Lumineers track - definitely want to shoe horn it in somewhere!!! haha, think I'd feel the same about Aerosmith - My OH is threatening that he'd like Jet's 'Are you gonna be my girl' somewhere haha

• S108HAN
    Beginner August 2013
    S108HAN ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

After All - Frank and Walter

She Bangs the Drum or Ten Storey Love SOng - Stone Roses

Moving On Up or Call On Me - Primal Scream (thinking of this for our recessional music)

A Life Less Ordinary or Shining Light - Ash

Just Like Heaven - The Cure

• C
    Beginner May 2013
    catew ·
    • Hide content

Oh I love to share lol! Most of the songs we are having do mean something in the words rather than the song

We are having "At Last" by Etta James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhSWM_CK94M

and then going out we are having "Next to Me" emeli sande

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nwdjQmc_N8

Our First Dance is "Wonderful tonight" Eric Clapton - This is the song that reminds me of the beginning as John put i on a CD for me when we first started dating 10 years ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUSzL2leaFM

Then Father and Daughter dance is "I loved her First" By Heartland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fV6fmBerRg

The we are ending it with "New York" frank sinatra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=odNmQiSC6dY

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This was on the shortlist at one point!

Just wanted to pop back on and say thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still no closer to making a decision; I might just plump for the Pearl Jam song!

Don't think OH will be too fussed with whatever I pick- this is the man who suggested the Top Gun theme.

I am a woman, not an F-14A Tomcat (although, he might love me more if I were....*sniff*)

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I walked down the aisle to a song we heard in an advert Smiley smile like you we are not a fan of love songs so after months of not finding anything we liked we heard that one day and were like 'that will do'

• BertB
    Beginner July 2013
    BertB ·
    • Hide content

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We walked out to 'kiss me' but by new found glory. Less twinkly and more jumpy about.

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

Neither of us would feel particularly comfortable with some lovey dovey wedding appropriate song, we're both into rock music and he would probably rather play himself with his guitar (I'll probably have to explain that's not happening), we do have a song that's meaningful to us, as in he found out it's a favourite of mine and he learned how to play it when we started dating, so maybe I'll walk down the aisle to Everlong by the foo fighters, but not the acoustic version, I want the loud version haha, but the words are quite appropriate if you listen to them, so it's a winner.

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh, New Found Glory- good shout! They've done an awesome cover of 'Crazy for You'...aaaaaand 'Head Over Heels'!!! ?

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

Ok, borrowing from FTLOMB's ever-growing book of wisdom, I think we have a winner...it's a Blur song...'To The End'.

?

• ImagineIt
    Beginner December 2012
    ImagineIt ·
    • Hide content

We wanted somehting different. We dabbled with the theme from JAWS, but it was abit too loud & quiet in places. (although was perfect really for my entrance)

So (being big Star Wars fans) I walked in to the Imperial March from Empire Strikes Back.

Its so funny watching it back on the video! We walked out to Mna Mna by the Muppets...suited us to a tee!

I wish our aisle had been longer though as I steamed down it to get to my H2B!

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha I really think we would get on. Firstly, you name is the name of our first dance song, all of the songs you mentioned in this thread are some of my favs, and I also would like my life to be like a film!! haha

I am planning on walking to the church with my Dad and my girls, and would love a way to play Lumineers Hey Ho on the way!

Our walking in song is a piano version of Van Morrion Have I told You Lately. It is my Dad's fav song (although I think this may make him cry!) and we are thinking of having a Jason Mraz or Ben Howard song for when we leave!

• J
    Beginner April 2013
    JanetJones ·
    • Hide content

We were going to have "Blur - To The End".

However, on the day, the DJ said he didn't have it. I would have flipped over this normally, but by the time the first dance time came, me and the OH were so high on the day we really couldn't have given two you know what's, and ended up having Elbow one day like this instead - which has been done to death and I had absolutely REFUSED to have this song when others had suggested it (apparently, it's what reminds all our friends and family of "us" as we championed it big time when it first came out).

But in the long and short of it - it didn't really matter in the end.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics