Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner February 2019

Future MIL HELP!

RomanticGreenConfetti21742, 17 of January of 2019 at 12:10 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hoping someone will be able to give me some advice here!

So my soon to be MIL has decided that she's wearing a black jumpsuit to our wedding, our rustic feel winter wedding and she's wearing a black jumpsuit.

I really don't want her to wear this as it's going to ruin photographs, one of our colours is Navy, and I personally, really don't like the way navy and black look together, none of the men in our families are wearing a black suit they all checked with us and have decided to wear a navy suit so that they don't stand out from us.

If she were just a normal guest, I wouldn't be bothered, but as she's part of the family, she will ruin our family photos because she will stand out massiey and this will be the last time we get a chance to do this due to illness and divorces.

This is not the first thing she has done regarding our wedding,

She made us change our original wedding date as it was hubby to be little sisters "Birthday Month" (little sister is incredibly spoilt.) We were hoping to marry on the 31st and sisters birthday was the 1st. We had to change it as she threatened to not come and not let his sister come...

She's demanded that we invite whichever boyfriend she is with at the time to our day list, we said no and she has moaned and so much at my husband to be that he told her to f*** off and speak to me. When I told her no and to stop asking our minds would not be changed and reminded her that it's our wedding she has stopped speaking to me (to the point where I didn't even get put on the Christmas card to my partner) I wasn't snappy and I was perfectly polite when I told her this to try and not piss her off more.

She has taken no interest in our wedding what so ever until it involved her directly, she has never once asked a question about it, we offered to take her to our venue so she could see and she was just not interested whatsoever.

She's also complained about having to get a hotel room, our venue is in a cheap area and has cheap budget hotels around, this is her only financial outlay to our wedding, she has nothing else to pay for, and she isn't contributing anything towards it (despite sending spoilt birthday month sister to new york for her birthday)

So what do I do about the jumpsuit, do I ask her to change it so she dosent ruin our photos? We have spent our money on this and want it to be perfect, and she's managed to put a downer on it once again.

8 replies

Latest activity by HappyBlueCars582, 22 of January of 2019 at 18:34
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

Considering the whole picture she seems really out of order. She is old enough to know that a black jumpsuit is not appropriate attire to wear to a wedding - unless you're an evening only guest!

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

She sounds really twisted and like she’s deliberately wearing a black jump suit just to annoy you! I personally wouldn’t give her the satisfaction of knowing it annoyed me and I wouldn’t mention it. I don’t think it will ruin your wedding photos at all. It would be far worse if she was wearing some god awful brightly coloured garish looking thing. Just chill out and go with the flow and pretend you’re fine with it. That will really get up her nose!

• L
    Beginner January 2019
    LuxuriousRedStationery801 ·
    • Hide content

Well she sounds a delight to be around!! I know it doesn’t come across as an appropriate outfit to wear but I don’t think it will ruin your pictures.

from what you have said whatever you now say or do she’s either going to ignore it or find a way to wind you up. The best thing to do is shrug it off the best that you can. Hugs x

• R
    Savvy August 2019
    RomanticPinkDecor31906 ·
    • Hide content

Can you get someone to tell her she looks awful in it?!

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is a really good point! She sounds like a nightmare - just minimise the number of formal photos you have her in, and try and get someone stood slightly in front of her or something.

Also,have a word with your photographers, they can help you manage the situation and will be able to place her somewhere where she doesn't look out of place. At the end of the day, she is the one who will look daft, try not to think about her.

Good luck! X

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

I know it’s your wedding but in the grand scale of things it’s one day then it will be over. You’ve got the rest of your life to look forward to with your other half. Try not to lose sight of that x

• M
    Beginner July 2019
    MrsAW2019 ·
    • Hide content

I feel your pain OP, honestly.

I agree with others, probably best to leave her to it and not let on that it is getting to you, she will only come up with something far worse.

As has been said have a chat with your photographer, make sure you manage to have plenty of photos with your own family and with just you and your OH so that if the look of her in the photos really does bug you you can just ignore them and concentrate on the ones that feature the people you love.

I really hope it starts to get easier for you, I know how stressful it can be. Stay strong, everything will work out in the end.

X

• S
    Beginner November 2019
    Seb2019 ·
    • Hide content

It might just be me but I don't understand how someone else wearing a black jumpsuit will totally ruin the wedding pictures? Don't get me wrong she sounds like a bit of a pain in the backside generally but that specific point wouldn't bother me in the slightest. It's not like it's hotpants. ?

Just try and gain a little perspective on the day and not let her get to you. You're marrying the love of your life, that's the main thing! You're not going to look back at the pics and care about what she's wearing.

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content

Couldn’t agree more with Seb2019’s comments!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics