Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Alice_In_Wonderland
Beginner March 2013

Small wedding - entertainment ideas?!

Alice_In_Wonderland, 2 of October of 2012 at 14:51 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi all,

So, having been engaged for a year and having the church booked & organised for nearly as long, we have FINALLY now decided on a venue & finalised the guest list! Smiley laugh

We're looking at around 45 people, and have found the function room of a lovely pub with fantastic food.
The plan is church, on to pub, few drinks, lunch around 2pm for between 1/2hrs (taking us to around 4pm I think), then basically just stay in the pub! We figured on a canape-buffet thing around 7pm to keep everyone going, and maybe a few more people will pop in for drinks after this.

Sooooo, there's a big gap between finishing lunch & the buffet. While I'm sure a chunk of it can be filled with chatting etc, I'm concerned that there should be something else as well (having been to a couple of weddings recently with large empty gaps, and secretly complaining about it...!)
But I'm a bit stuck for ideas tbh. We're not going to have a disco at all as there doesn't seem to be enough people to warrant that (plus around 60% of the guests are old or infirm, and won't be up for dancing). Not sure about a live band as I'm concerned it might be a little loud, but I'm not writing it off completely.

Does anyone have any ideas??! We'd be looking to keep it as far under the £500 mark if possible - ideally below £300! The room we'll be in isn't huge, I think they said the maximum it can hold is 65 people, so we won't have acres of room!
There are speakers & an iPod dock in the room, and we're anticipating (from experience) the majority of the older people will be gone around 9-10pm, at which point we can turn the music up a bit.
It's just the between meal/buffet bit that's causing us a headache! Smiley sad

Thanks in advance!!!

13 replies

Latest activity by Alice_In_Wonderland, 4 of October of 2012 at 08:28
  • Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

Little bump... someone must be able to think of something?! Please?!!

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

We had a magician Smiley smile Everyone is still talking about it, he hypnotised people, did magic tricks Derren brown style stuff and balloon stuff for the kids.

He is Reading based but drove down 2 hours away for my wedding so he could do Bristol I guess. https://www.magician-4-hire.co.uk/

He was £345 for 2 hours

• L
    Beginner May 2013
    LittleMiss4 ·
    • Hide content

We are also having a small wedding, and I'm thinking about organising a quiz for after the wedding breakfast. It would contain questions about us and also some other stuff, some easy and some more tricky. We also hope that one of our friends will perform some songs on his guitar/singing. Apart from that, we don't know yet. So it would be nice with some more ideas. Magician sounds fun! ?

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

Hi Cookiekat, thanks for replying! Smiley smile

Magician is def. in the list of possibles; 2 hours would certainly be a nice chunk of time filled up! Thanks for the link, will have a little look later.

x

• A
    Beginner August 2013
    annie2000 ·
    • Hide content

H

we are also having a small wddding, 50 people. we are hsving a nagiciam for 2 hours who lives in.bristol. £350 for twp.hours. his nsme is datren.cambell, hes very.good searh hkm.on facebook

hope thst helps

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

No help, but I wanted to say I LOVE the concept of your wedding and would really enjoy being a guest at that sort of do Smiley smile

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Hi Alice in Wonderland!

Were also having a small wedding, 30 day guests and about an extra 30 for the night do. Were having the after do in a 16th century ale house which has loads of character and is super cute and cosy. We are getting a jukebox for our ''entertainment''. Hopefully it will get people taking and dancing and be a bit of a talking point. Were also going to do a pub quiz and hand out little prizes for the winners. Obviously this fits in with our venue and theme (shabby chic) but is simple and easy to do

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

Aw thanks, thanks! That's very kind of you to say Smiley smile

• E
    Beginner July 2014
    exitedbridetobe ·
    • Hide content

Were having a caricaturist at our wedding. We have lived both in France and New Zealand so were are trying to incorporate the counrties into the wedding.So the caricaturist represents France, but still stuggling with New Zealand! xx

• RebTheEck
    Beginner August 2013
    RebTheEck ·
    • Hide content

We are getting married in August and having an afternoon tea and the wedding breakfast in the evening. We are only having 54 people to the whole thing, no extras in the evening and during the afternoon we are hoping to have giant garden games &/or a Wii.

The garden games would only work if you've got access to an area outside.

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding with ny 36 people, no kids. It started at 2.30 and we left at 1.30am. They had music through the iPod and we all danced for hrs........the free bar helped!!

• J
    Beginner August 2013
    Jenniz ·
    • Hide content

Hello - im new to this!! and getting married in august next year also small wedding and struggling with the entertainment. we are thinking small 3 piece band or pianist with singer.

• green-claws-entertainment
    green-claws-entertainment ·
    • Hide content

Hey

I could recommend a guy called Carl Sinclair, i have worked with him a few times as is a brilliant musician. He is able to do more subtle music or change to more upbeat and danceable music if your guests feel that they want to dance.

I have seen him as a duo, trio and a 4 piece. Might be worth giving him a ring to see if he is what you are looking for.

http://carlsinclair.com/

• Alice_In_Wonderland
    Beginner March 2013
    Alice_In_Wonderland ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, thanks for the link! Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics