Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Maldives2013
Beginner December 2013

Peckforton Castle - scared?!

Maldives2013, 19 of July of 2012 at 15:02 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi,

Recently engaged and starting to look around wedding venues for the big day. We are only planning on having about 30 day guests and another 20-30 at night so were looking at smaller locations in the Lakes such as Broadoaks, Langdale Chase and Holbeck&Ghyl. My partner went to visit Peckforton Castle on his was home from work today and has fallen in love with it, like literally head over heels, but I am concerned about all the bad reviews we have seen on the place. All the reviews seem pretty dated now and I am wondering if anyone has had a wedding there recently and enjoyed it or experienced any issues?

Also if anyone has been to Broadoaks, Linthwaite, Langdale chase or Holbeck & Ghyl I would love to hear about how your day went.

We are looking at December 2013

Thank you so much

Lizzie

10 replies

Latest activity by Fawny, 27 of July of 2012 at 10:57
  • ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I went to a wedding at Peckforton, about 18 months ago. If I'm honest, it wasn't fabulous, more than nice enough but lacking the WOW that perhaps a venue of that price should deliver. The food was only alright, the entire place was freezing, the walls looked decidedly MDF and the whole place was a bit - OK, a lot - up its own bottom. Even the grounds weren't that impressive. On the good side, the evening buffet was lush.

We were thinking of our wedding at the time and after about an hour of being there, it was scrubbed right off the list.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

Hi hun, not so long ago i read in our local paper that a groom set fire to part of peckforton castle in a dispute with them??!!

That might be enough to put your fella off....

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9159430/Angry-groom-set-wedding-hotel-ablaze.html

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2012/03/22/bridegroom-who-set-fire-to-peckforton-castle-hotel-is-jailed/

thats all i can tell you about the place execpt there are some nice walks around there!!

Good Luck x

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

We photographed a wedding last July at Peckforton Castle and it was great.....they won the County Brides Best NW wedding venue this year which is voted for by couples who have been married there.

They have done a fantastic job and have bounced back after the fire last year, the idiot who set fire to the place was in dispute because he hadn't actually paid for his wedding in full.

It's a lovely venue, the chapel is really cute and the great hall is impressive xx

• hazyclaire
    Beginner November 2012
    hazyclaire ·
    • Hide content

Our friends got married there, lovely venue and day, and no complaints from them that I ever heard of! Yes the evening buffet was lovely...

We're getting married in Cartmel Priory with our reception at The Swan, Newby Bridge. Looked at loads in the Lakes and this was our fave, but Langdale Chase was lovely too. Just that it was very traditional wwhereas we like modern and it was pretty pricey! The others you mentioned all looked lovely but we had too many guests...

• Mrs_imp
    Beginner June 2012
    Mrs_imp ·
    • Hide content

I'm going to an evening do there on Saturday, so I'll be able to report back a bit more afterwards!

• Maldives2013
    Beginner December 2013
    Maldives2013 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Everyone

Thanks so much for all the feedback, I'd live to know how Saturday goes, that would be fab! Well we are going to view it and talk to the wedding planner and ask some pretty heavy questions, I just don't want to fall in love with the place then be let down by the service o the biggest day of our lives!

Really appreciate all the comments, I can't wait for Saturday, let the vieing ommence, 5 in the lake distinct :-)

X

• T
    tracey335 ·
    • Hide content

I have been to a few events at Peckforton Castle and never found it cold, the service was outstanding every time.

I personally love the interior of the castle and the rooms we were in definitely had the wow factor.

Love the knight in the grounds which is a real talking point and I bet becoming really famous, all the photographs that are getting taken with him.

To be honest I have attended some weddings and functions in other hotels and the castle is definitely at the top of my list if I needed a venue.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

New poster, first post to praise a venue to high heavens.... ?

• Mrs*W*2B
    Beginner August 2014
    Mrs*W*2B ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My thoughts exactly...someone's been googling themselves....

I've heard the venue is beautiful etc but once they have your money they aren't as interested but I've never actually been there myself so can't say that's true.

The groom that set fire was an idiot, he had a wedding he couldn't afford and set fire to it with all his family and guests still inside, I dont think the venue were in any wrong on that occasion

Its a VERY expensive venue but go see it and decide for yourself, ask the coordinators about any queries you have and see how they handle it

X

• S
    Shirley-Ann ·
    • Hide content

Hi Ladies, just reading your comments on Pecforton . I went to an event there about a month ago and to honest I was quite impressed (and I can be difficult to please!). The service was good and the ambiance was quite special, so I would definately consider it if it is within your budget. I also quite like Knowsley Hall and Langdale Chase, these also have the wow factor too. The most important thing to do is to visit the venues and it you are interested ask them for previous wedding guests references (if possible), so that you can get a good feel of whether it is right for you. Good luck ! x ?

• F
    Beginner September 2012
    Fawny ·
    • Hide content

Hi, Hope I'm not too late with this. We went to a wedding there May last year & I have to say it's the most amazing wedding i've been to. The place itself is magnificant & we loved all the different rooms. I suppose it depends on what you can afford to what you get, but we have drinks at the bar befoe the wedding & the the cemerory during which the owl deleivered the rings to the Best man, afterwards we had a birds of pray flying session, where they told us about the birds etc. Then the reception room was lovely & the food amazing, we had a diferent menu for the ladies & the men which worked well so you could swap. Afterwards we moved down into one on the celler bars where they had an ipod set up & drinks & dancing. It really was great, food everything. H2B is quiet releived we are getting wed in Greece otherwise we would have had a large bill for our wedding as thats what I would have wanted.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics