Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

D
Beginner May 2022 Staffordshire

Non White Wedding Dress Help

Danielle, 26 of July of 2020 at 23:02 Posted on Planning 1 24

Is anyone out there wearing a non-white wedding dress at all? I bought my dream dress in march and absolutely love it to bits, I'd seen in the shop window before we even got engaged and had commented on how beautiful it was so when we took the plunge I knew I had to get that dress! I have never wanted a big white wedding dress, I've been to bridal shops and tried them on and hated them, I always wanted to be very different from a typical bride and don't want our wedding to be very traditional. I've gone for a silver lace tea-length dress, however when I showed it to my best friend her reaction was less than pleased and she even commented 'why is it grey', this has completely thrown me off now and it seems like everyone else is wearing white, I need some girlies that have gone non-traditional to help me out, the last thing i want is people to be horrified when i walk down the aisle in my dress, it's really upset me cause I so wanted her to be pleased, I feel like I won't look like a bride now.

24 replies

Latest activity by SupremeFive, 6 of October of 2020 at 15:10
  • HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hiya

I have got a blush ball gown, with train! It’s my second marriage and this is the dress of my dreams. I don’t give a stuff what anyone else says or thinks, it suits me and my adult daughters both cried when I tried it on.

The only thing to take into account is how your dress makes you FEEL. Trust your own judgement and taste, you are the one wearing it, and will have to look at the photos in years to come, no one else!

Our brains are wired to know what we like, so if that dress spoke to you from the shop window, and it feels amazing on, then she’s your dress!

• K
    East London
    Karolina ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't mind wearing some maxi dresses or sequin dresses - but I'm just bridesmaid at my friend's wedding, that's a slightly different story! Smiley smile Honestly - why wear a white wedding dress - if you feel brave enough to choose any different colour - then why not!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Wear what makes you feel beautiful and trust your own judgement.

I went dress shopping with a friend and put a deposit down on a dress because she raved about how bridal it was. But it never felt 100% right to me. Then lockdown hit and when it was lifted, I didn't have time to get my boutique dress fitted, so had to order one by mail order - it's much simpler and those who saw it said it 'wasn't bridal enough', but I loved it. And I felt SOOOO confident on the day, and because I felt so good, it came across to everyone else, and even the people who'd said it wasn't bridal enough ended up loving it!

So if that's taught me anything, it's that how you feel in a dress is the most important thing - everyone else can be raving about one, but if you don't feel right in it, it will show. And if you feel great in a dress, you are going to own that day and look amazing!

• D
    Beginner May 2022 Staffordshire
    Danielle ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thank you so much for your help, every time i wear my dress i feel like a princess and i was so put off by my friends but i'm going to add an ivory veil to bride it up a bit more and stick with it, your totally right and i should wear what i want not what everyone expects me to wear!

• HappyPinkHair15172
    Dedicated September 2022 Merseyside
    HappyPinkHair15172 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Danielle,

Knickers to them! Go for it, you will totally look amazing!

If you're dress is tea length, have you got some stunning shoes to go with?

Ali xx

• ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
    Savvy April 2021 Somerset
    ExpensivePinkFlowers63608 ·
    • Hide content

Sounds awesome! I wanted non-white, non-traditional but ended up with super traditional, massive trail and long veil. You wear what makes you happy.

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

As a wedding photographer I can say that it is not that common for me to come across an "actual" white dress, so much so that when I do it stands out to me so much as WHITE, because I am so used to seeing off white, vintage/ antique white, oyster ( pushing the white boundary here) - so everything and anything other than actual white it seems. When I come across stronger colours like yours I love photographing them as they come across so nicely on camera, basically it makes my life easier because full on white can be hard work.

So yeh - Knickers to them "grey" Smiley surprise

Non White Wedding Dress Help 1

• H
    Rockstar June 2020
    HappyBlueCars582 ·
    • Hide content
    The idea of wearing a white dress absolutely terrifies me. I’m so pale and I always get light coloured clothes filthy. There’s no way I’m wearing a white dress. The darker the better for me!
  • Charlotte
    Dedicated February 2022 South East London
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I am making my own dress: rose pink with a ivory lace overlay. I agonised over the colour up to the last minute, but as my mum said: 'no-one will mistake you for a guest or a bridesmaid'. If they don't know you're the bride, why are they there?!

• Alaister
    Beginner February 2015 West London
    Alaister ·
    • Hide content

Well don't need to be upset the best thing is to wear the dress which you like, After all it's your wedding so be Happy proudly wear grey.Smiley smile

• Dancing-Peanut
    Curious September 2021 Kent
    Dancing-Peanut ·
    • Hide content

Mine is ivory with loads of huge hand stitched embroidered purple flowers all over it. I wanted a statement and that is it!!.

• Yvie
    Beginner March 2021 East Sussex
    Yvie ·
    • Hide content
    I am definitely not having a white wedding dress. I am getting married next March in a Registry Office and as I am a ‘more mature’ ? bride I would feel ridiculous in a big white frock. I had my eye on either a nice trouser suit with a pretty blouse underneath or a silver maxi dress of some sort but I am losing weight at the moment so I won’t buy anything till the beginning of next year. Your dress sounds lovely and as long as you love it and it makes you feel special that’s all that matters. It’s YOUR day and you wear what you want.
  • W
    Beginner March 2021 Cumbria
    William ·
    • Hide content

My friend has the same issue as you. The wedding was in a soft blue color, and it looks really fantastic! We plan something like that for our wedding but in green color.

• C
    Beginner October 2021 Essex
    Callieco ·
    • Hide content

I bet grey looks stunning! I'm not wearing a traditional white dress either, I'm going with a teal maxi-dress this time (third time lucky...)

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    Over the years photographing many many weddings, I have always loved the alternative bride with a left field approach. Go with what you want, not what others tell you what you should have. .
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I Smiley heart your mum's comment - she's nailed it!

• Wendy
    Beginner June 2022 Lancashire
    Wendy ·
    • Hide content
    I’m getting married in 2022 and it’s my second time. I wore an A line champagne coloured dress the first time. I’m not wearing a white dress this time , it’s going to be deep purple ( think Cadbury’s purple).

If you love it and feel fantastic in it, then don’t listen to anyone else
  • Ashley
    Beginner September 2020 Highland
    Ashley ·
    • Hide content
    Dont let other get you down it YOUR wedding and can do as please and if they dont like there problem your the one wear it !! It nice to be unique ^_^ if it's any comfort to you I ve gone totally different too I've gone rainbow colour lol
  • ExpensiveRedDecor46540
    Beginner October 2021 Hampshire
    ExpensiveRedDecor46540 ·
    • Hide content
    I got my dress this month which is blush and I am in love with it! I tried on white dresses but I didn't feel like they were as me as the blush was. Go with what you feel the most "you" in! x
  • L
    Beginner November 2021 Berkshire
    LuxuriousPinkConfetti76954 ·
    • Hide content

I bought a blush wedding dress and it's absolutely beautiful. No one other than YOU is the bride on your special day and all that matters is that you love it and feel comfortable! I'm sure you'll make a beautiful bride

• G
    Beginner July 2021 Hampshire
    Girlatco ·
    • Hide content
    Mine is light gold with ivory embellishments...I knew from the start that I’d not wear “white” white or ivory. Silver sounds lovely, and just think of the colours that it’ll set off and complement! Plus with tea length you can make a real statement with yourself shoes...oh my, the possibilities are nearly endless, I’m excited FOR you Smiley laugh
  • J
    Beginner May 2021 Overbetuwe
    Joanne ·
    • Hide content
    I got myself An Emerald green a-line wedding dress. Yes it got some white lace on top, bit none the less it's green. If i'm wearing a veil, IT will also be green.Non White Wedding Dress Help 2

• Cara
    Beginner October 2021 Kent
    Cara ·
    • Hide content
    There's only one person who really needs to be happy & that's you, wear the dress that makes you happy. I'm also not a big white dress person so opted for a silver/grey dress that I love. Dare to be different ?
  • SunnyIvoryDecor16928
    Beginner June 2021
    SunnyIvoryDecor16928 ·
    • Hide content

Stick to your own ideas and don't regret it. The wedding dress is not only white, there are many other possibilities! There are also many black wedding dresses on pinterest that look great.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics