Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Savvy December 2020 East Central London

£2k+ for a cake?!

kentgirl2020, 30 of October of 2018 at 11:56 Posted on Planning 0 6

Hi All,

I posted here before and was met with some sensible heads so please help me ?

We've booked our Venue in London (Central) and as part of our package we got £10 per head towards a cake (from a specified company) which is £500. There are 50ish day guests and 60ish evening guests.

Now I took time out to contact the cake company to enquire cakes and said I'd like a smaller cake with some cake pops / macarons etc and was quoted £2000+ ? after swallowing that bomb I enquired again for just a cake, and was told I'd need a 5 tier and would be £1000+ dependant on decoration.

Now am I being ridiculous in thinking this is A LOT for a cake? Considering we want a naked very plain cake with some babys breath round the centres.

For under £1000 they've said a 3 tier is more in budget - but I'm getting a bit "screw this" are cakes that important? Do I need to accomodate a slice for everyone?

I've asked if we can use the £500 and it was a big fat no ☹️

6 replies

Latest activity by SunnyBrownCakes91133, 8 of November of 2018 at 20:42
  • F
    Savvy August 2019
    Fairy5 ·
    • Hide content

Holy crap that's ridiculous! Even £1000 is silly. I am having 60-70 guests and have found a local cake maker (I'm in Essex) who is making my cake for £120 + £35 delivery and set up. I know this is exceptionally cheap as the going rate for 3 is around £250+ everywhere I looked but £1000?! HELL NO! Btw I am having naked too!

• H
    Expert September 2019
    Have_you_met_Mrs_Jones2019 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Wow, that sounds ridiculous!

My stepsister-in law has her own cake business, and she's making ours, so I've not really looked into it too much, but that sounds extortionate! Have they maybe bumped the price up because it's central London? Can you find a baker outside of London instead and arrange delivery or collection? I would seriously consider that.

So, they won't let you use the £10 a head you had been given? I would go back to your venue and query this - if you can't use it for your cake, tell them you want £500 off venue hire or something.

Annoyingly, I don't think you will need to save a slice for everyone, but you probably should just in case... could you serve it as dessert and save some money there?

Just one other thing - take care with using baby's breath on cakes - it's toxic, and not generally recommend. You might want to consider artificial or different flowers? Sorry to be boring, but I only found this out the other day!

https://www.thekitchn.com/what-to-know-about-putting-flowers-on-your-cakes-256604

Good luck! X

• K
    Savvy December 2020 East Central London
    kentgirl2020 ·
    • Hide content

Ok thank god it's not just me thinking that haha!!

It is a luxury cake company so I can understand the prices - I'm just sooo miffed off!!

They have really really plain 2 tier cakes for £550 and I'm thinking I may just get one of them and get some cake pops from elsewhere!

Naked cakes are where its at!!

• H
    Beginner May 2019
    HappyIvoryHair1461 ·
    • Hide content

Wow! I can’t believe the cost! I found an award winning lady in Liverpool (where I live) and she said £350 for any design. Thats 4 tiers for 120 people. That’s including delivery an hour & a half away. Married friends have said not to bother paying that much as it’s either never been cut & distributed or it’s been left on the tables as people aren’t that bothered. So, no, I don’t think you really do need to cater for everyone

• G
    Beginner September 2018
    GREENWICHBRIDE2B ·
    • Hide content

That's a ridiculous price, I got married in Greenwich and similar number of guests as yourself. I had a 3 tier cake made by a local baker to me in bexley for £225. Feel free to contact me if you would like her details. Cake was fantastic.

• S
    Curious October 2019
    SasenachBride ·
    • Hide content

That's insane for a cake!

I had some steep quotes in London but none that steep, we're getting married in Kent and have booked a baker recommended by our venue, we're getting a custom 3 tiered cake with multiple flavours, shaped to look like 3 of our favourite books (book theme wedding) for £220 including delivery and set up.

I would definetely query why they're saying you can't use the £500 the venue have given you

• S
    Beginner
    SunnyBrownCakes91133 ·
    • Hide content

You're being conned. You don't need 5 tiers for 110 people. I have had loads of quotes in and around london, none were over £600 and that is for 150 guests with detailed pipework. Go to a wedding show, you'll see they should never exceed 800 let alone 1000

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics