Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

C
Beginner December 2013

Church Advice

cookies123, 27 of November of 2012 at 18:03 Posted on Planning 0 7

Hi,

I am after a bit of advice and I can't decide what to do.... We would like to get married in my childhood village church, however, there are so many issues! Firstly the church is 'redundant' therefore we need a special permission license from the Arch Bishop, which we cannot have confirmed until 3 months before the wedding. Secondly we want to have a Christmas wedding next year, but the church does not have any heating and is on a small steep country road, not ideal for December. We can get married in other churches in the parish but I can't make up my mind what to do! Help please!!!!

7 replies

Latest activity by *RisqueM*, 28 of November of 2012 at 00:08
  • Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Personally I would choose another church. I hate being cold and, even more so, I hate uncertainty and not knowing for sure whether I was going to be able to have the church I was hoping for would drive me crazy.

• Honky
    Beginner October 2013
    Honky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This.

Sounds like a lot of last minute hassle, what are the other churches' like?

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

Unfortunately I think I'd choose somewhere else, imagine if you found out 3 months before that you couldn't have it, then have to find a make do place that has your date free

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

If the church is currently redundant, is it being used at all? Even if you did get approval to use it, would the staff be prepared for a wedding/used to sorting out one & would the facilities be sufficient? Would the water be turned on in the bathrooms, will it be all dusty, will the gardens be overgrown, will the organ/piano be out of tune etc etc etc. I doubt that it would be the same as your childhood memories & a disappointment.

I agree with the others, & book somewhere else. You could always have a blessing at a later date (say your 1st year anniversary) in your preferred church & hopefully by then, it will no longer be redundant.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

I think I'd choose somewhere else given the issues you've explained.

But ultimatley you & your OH need to make this decision together.

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't be able to relax knowing I didn't find out for sure until 3 months before

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

Are you sure it's only three months before? I would have had to apply for a special licence had we got married in our uni chapel (we didn't in the end for other reasons) and I don't remember it being a problem time wise.

• *RisqueM*
    Beginner August 2015
    *RisqueM* ·
    • Hide content

I would book another church, and have a blessing i your special church. You could even arrange the blessing for the day after so if it falls through you will still be married. You won't want the stress of not knowing if you can even be married until 3 months before, I'd be a nervous wreak!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics