Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pompey
Beginner June 2012

2014 Book List *Updated 07/01/14 - 2 books read*

Pompey, 7 of January of 2014 at 11:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 165

The Rules

• Every book must be started and finished in 2013
  • Once you have read a book post the name and author in here and I will keep the OP updated.
  • A book can appear only once on the list
  • Mark each book from 10 and a short description:

Everyone MUST keep track of their own numbers so you can keep track of how many YOU have read. The total number of books from us as a group will be collated here.

We already have one book read by Pandorasbox:

1. The Winter Folly, Lulu Taylor - interesting plot and characters, not as 'chick litty' as some of her previous 9/10

2. 4 to Score, Janet Evanovich. Chit Lit meets crime drama. No 4 in a series of about 20 or so, easy, entertaining reading. 8/10

165 replies

Latest activity by alyj66, 20 of January of 2015 at 16:03
  • M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

1. 4 to Score, Janet Evanovich. Chit Lit meets crime drama. No 4 in a series of about 20 or so, easy, entertaining reading. 8/10

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

1. 4 to Score, Janet Evanovich. Chit Lit meets crime drama. No 4 in a series of about 20 or so, easy, entertaining reading. 8/10

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Pompey, you've put 2013 in your OP, but it should be 2014!

1. The Best of Me, Nicholas Sparks. I'm a sucker for Sparks novels, they're always so romantic and heart warming. This one was not one of his greatests, however, and I found it quite difficult to get into. Having said that, it was still a good read once I got into it. 6/10

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Argh! Hitched wont let me edit at the moment.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

1. You Can Beat Your Brain - David McRaney. Pop psychology, easy read, very absorbing. You might learn a little about yourself. More importantly, you learn how to beat others in arguments (by learning about the various fallacies people make). 8/10.

2. Bridget Jones Mad About The Boy - Helen Fielding. Slightly more serious than the previous episodes. Story a little difficult and makes you want to cuddle your husband. Easy enough read. Got me through 6 hours of sleeplessness last night. 6/10.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

I don't really have time for reading anymore because of Love on Top Smiley sad - but I will try my best!

1. Me Before You - Jojo Moyes. I enjoyed this. Unlikable characters in the beginning grow more likable as you read the book - I expected a predictable end but was pleasantly surprised. 8/10.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

2. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien - It's taken me about 15 years to read this. So slow! How they make 3 movies I have no idea. 5/10

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

2. The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien - It's taken me about 15 years to read this. So slow! How they make 3 movies I have no idea. 5/10

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

Ooh can I join in?

Jane Green - Tempting Fate - Not as good as her earlier novels. I found it difficult to relate to the main character at first but I quickly became absorbed about half-way in. 6/10.

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

Sorry I realise I should have put a 1. in my above post but hitched won't let me edit either. I'll keep track properly next time.

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

1. Ghost in the Machine, Ed James. Crime thriller & Kindle freebie, but one of the better freebies I've had. 7/10.

2. Devil in the Detail, Ed James. Went ahead and paid a whopping £1 for this one on the back of the other. Enjoyed, similar to first. 7/10.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've emailed the powers that be and I hope that they will be able to sort this soon. I'd like to keep on top of this thread day by day.

1) The Running Man - Richard Bachman

This is Stephen King writing as Richard Bachman. It is a fairly short book that didnt take me long to read at all. At times it was a bit difficult to follow as it was set in the future, but generally well written with a great story line. Gorey and scary in parts like a good Stephen King book should be. 8/10

• spikeygoodness
    Beginner
    spikeygoodness ·
    • Hide content

If you read a book that's the same as one already mentioned, can you still include it in your list, or do you have to miss it out entirely? I know it doesn't count towards the main list. I'm reading the new Bridget Jones one, which Footlong has already had, hence the query.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I don't think I can tell you not to read something. If you read something someone else already has, I think it's fine to include in your own list, just not the original ?

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

1. Mornings in Jenin - a well written novel tracking the history of Palestine through family history.

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't edit but forgot the author;

Susan Abulhawa

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

2. The Missing Half - really interesting about a stolen child 9/10

3. The Son in Law - very gripping 10/10

4. Tarnished - dull, dull, dull and badly written 0/10

5. Sharp Objects - weird story about a serial killer, telling the story from his view as well as his victims 6/10

• D
    Beginner April 2014
    DaisyDot ·
    • Hide content

1. Vivien's Heavenly Ice Cream Shop, Abby Clements: Beautiful cover (yes I judge) but no substance. A grandmother dies leaving her Brighton ice cream parlour to her 2 granddaughters. 2/10

2. Angel's Game, Carlos Ruiz Zafon: The prequel to The Shadow of the Wind. Absolutely excellent -Set in Barcelona in the 1920s, an author is asked to write a book by a mysterious person. 9/10

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I am still unable to edit this bl00dy thread and am hoping that the technical team will be able to do something soon - otherwise I may just make another.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That's the problem I had, I emailed but never heard back. I ended up putting the list in the comments.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think I might keep a list on Microsoft Word as well. Stupid thing.

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

Are we allowed to count graphic novels? I want to join in this year but haven't started a 'proper book' yet!

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

1. Doctor Sleep, Stephen King - a follow on to The Shining. I liked it, I find with a lot of King books it takes me a little while to become immersed in it, however once I was it was great. A nice follow on to a key character. 8/10.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am a bit clueless as to what a graphic novel is...

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

2. Hurting Distance, Sophie Hannah - 9/10

Absolutely brilliant story, with lots of twists and turns. Really enjoyed this crime thriller and couldnt put it down.

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha! Umm a collection of comics, but a lot of them, so it is like a whole novel, just with pictures too. I shall not include them, and just start reading more 'normal' books instead!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

2. Message in a Bottle, Nicholas Sparks. Probably the saddest book I have EVER read, was blubbing like a baby. Such a beautiful story. One of his bests. 9/10

• alyj66
    VIP August 2014
    alyj66 ·
    • Hide content

2. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty. The beginning was a little confusing as the author introduced 3 families, once I'd figured out who was who the story flowed well and was a little intriguing. The ending was a little bizarre but all in all not a bad read.

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

2. Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet shop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan. This is the second book I've read by this author and I plan to read more of them. Really enjoyed this book. Funny and heartwarming chicklit. 8/10.

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

2. Welcome to Rosie Hopkins' Sweet shop of Dreams by Jenny Colgan. This is the second book I've read by this author and I plan to read more of them. Really enjoyed this book. Funny and heartwarming chicklit. 8/10.

• M
    Beginner May 2014
    Muppet ·
    • Hide content

F&GBride - I love that one!! I've got a few more by Jenny Colgan on my wish list, in fact I have a few of hers at home I can send you if you like?

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

That's sweet of you to offer Muppet but you'd be in danger of never getting it back. Have you read The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris? It's the first one of hers I read. They all have such nice titles.

P.S Sorry for slightly derailing the thread folks.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics