Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner June 2009

Money rhymes/poems for Wedding invites

mccaules, 16 of May of 2008 at 13:50 Posted on Planning 0 32

Hello there!

Has anyone got any poems I can use for our wedding invites. We want to ask for money but don't want to sound cheeky!

Cheers x

32 replies

Latest activity by scotlady101, 17 of May of 2008 at 22:40
  • Hepburn
    Beginner August 2008
    Hepburn ·
    • Hide content

Warning, you have just opened a can of worms! Hitchers have very strong and different views on this so be prepared for some interesting comments...

Personally I wouldn't ask for money, especially not in a poem.

Just don't put anything and when people ask tell them you don't need anythign but money towards X would be appreciated.

• L
    Beginner September 2008
    Lily of the Valley ·
    • Hide content

For a couple of years we’ve lived in sin, we have a toaster, a kettle and a stainless steel bin, saucepans and towels we have many, corkscrews and flannels we don’t need any, we just want you with us to celebrate our day, but if you insist on a gift anyway, What we’d really like is a gift of money, we hope you don’t think we’re being funny! We’ll put it all together and buy something that’s best, as a reminder of our day and our wonderful guests! For a couple of years we’ve lived in sin, we have a toaster, a kettle and a stainless steel bin, saucepans and towels we have many, corkscrews and flannels we don’t need any, we just want you with us to celebrate our day, but if you insist on a gift anyway, What we’d really like is a gift of money, we hope you don’t think we’re being funny! We’ll put it all together and buy something that’s best, as a reminder of our day and our wonderful guests!

• M
    Beginner June 2009
    mccaules ·
    • Hide content

Hi Hepburn,

Ta for the warning! Yeah I remember seeing some large threads ages ago about this! I was actually asking on behalf of my work colleague who I sit next to - she gets married in Sept and asked me to find out. I too am interested though, but might just stick to vouchers!

X

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Now that is not what you said in your first post is it? Use of 'I', 'our' and 'we' does suggest otherwise.

• Pickledonion
    Beginner June 2008
    Pickledonion ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh my word please tell me this is tongue in cheek!

To be fair, OH and I did add a few words about appreciating donations towards our honeymoon. However this was at the very bottom of our map/directions insert and many of our guests have still contacted us to ask what gifts we would like as they didn't even see it. This was done on purpose by me as I didn't want anything at all in the invites about gifts/money, but OH did so it was a compromise. If it helps, the wording went something like 'all we ask for on our wedding day is the pleasure of your company. However if you choose to give us a gift, contributions towards our dream honeymoon would be very much appreciated' .

Personally, I think if you are asking for money there's no point in dressing it up in flouncy language and poetry. As OH wanted something in the invites, I also wanted to make it clear in the wording the giving of gifts is a choice, not an obligation.

• claires
    Beginner July 2008
    claires ·
    • Hide content

i think you have been here long enough to know what this is going to cause.
  • T
    Trishunity ·
    • Hide content

so the poor girl gets put in porky pie eh? after being told she may get "flamed " she probably just changed it to "her work collegue" so she wouldnt get flamed about it , id much rather be politely asked in rhyme for money so the couple can get exactly what they would like TBH
  • CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She'll get a bigger flaming for telling fibs than asking about money poems.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

that's so shyte ?

• T
    Trishunity ·
    • Hide content

In her original post she did state she was interested too .......

• M
    Beginner June 2009
    mccaules ·
    • Hide content

Sorry for telling fibs - not necessarily true though as I am considering a poem anyway. Just thought it would be easier to say it was for me than for my colleague as you would probably reply then and say why can't she ask the question herself?!!!

Thanks anyway girls. No more fibbing from me and hopefully no more flames to this thread!

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

where?

• wonderstuff
    Beginner August 2009
    wonderstuff ·
    • Hide content

Sorry but money poems are too tacky for words.

I wouldn't put anything at all about gifts or money in an invite.

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Right, Ok then.

• M
    Beginner June 2009
    mccaules ·
    • Hide content

"I too am interested though"

HERE!

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

why would we? how utterly bizarre ?

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

thats not on the original post though, as trishunity said...

and don't shout you roooooood thing. i'm not a half wit

• Pickledonion
    Beginner June 2008
    Pickledonion ·
    • Hide content

Ok if you must have a poem, how about-

'I ain't being funny, but show me the money!

It might sound a bit rooode,

but my day, my way honey!'

Ever so sorry, couldn't resist ?

• M
    Beginner June 2009
    mccaules ·
    • Hide content

Blimey! You lot are really giving me a hard time today!

I said sorry and I've been a good hitcher so far.....we all make mistakes.

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

you think me laughing at a poem, and saying that posting in the first person but on behalf of someone else is a bit odd is a 'hard time'? ?

• M
    mariets ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had that one from my cousin..

• curly
    Beginner June 2009
    curly ·
    • Hide content

We've decided not to do a gift list, we've lived together ages and have everything we need. We were planning on asking for travel vouchers but now my parents in law want to give a hefty contribution towards the honeymoon so it doesn't make sense.

My OH and I have decided to include a sentence asking people to buy us JL gift vouchers as we have been saving up (very unsuccessfully) for a new television (ours is rubbish, the remote is broke and channel 1 is on channel 4 etc!!).

Could you not think of a large item that you would like to buy an ask for contributions for that. My MIL told me we should ask for cheques but it just feels really wrong. I think a money poem just makes it seem a bit worse too. My cousin actually had one, but to be fair it was one of the better ones I'd heaerd o - can't remember it though. I feel bad asking for gift vouchers but better that than 50 toasters.

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content

I don't know anyone who has ever bought a toaster as a wedding present. Or has been given one either.

• E
    Beginner August 2008
    Els09/08/08 ·
    • Hide content

Does anyone remember Talisen's money poem - it was rude and funny and got her banned from C*nfetti?

Aside from that one I wouldn't use one, they reek of stilton.

• curly
    Beginner June 2009
    curly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Perhaps you don't - that's fair enough. The point I was trying to make was that I feel it is better for guests to contribute to something that I will use and that won't end up in a cupboard un-used. I personally feel that the guests at my wedding are all close friends and family to me and will appreciate the fact that I don't want them to waste their money on something I don't need/won't use.

This is always a really tricky topic. Everybody has different opinions - and that's fine, each is as valid as the other and it's up to the B2B and G2B at their own wedding to decide what is right for them.

• curly
    Beginner June 2009
    curly ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sorry I missed that one, rude and funny is what I need right now to get my through until my friday night starts!! ?

• teenybash
    Beginner February 2008
    teenybash ·
    • Hide content

I don't understand the need to put the money "request" into poetry. do you normally write in rhyme? do you normally send out cards and notes of information to your nearest and dearest in the form of a sonnet? i find them too twee, tacky and sickly to see any benefit.

i'd recommend not putting in any rhyme or poyum into your invitation. it's quite presumptious to expect that your guests will want to get you a present anyway. that argument aside, if you don't put the information into the invitation then you can ask your guests face to face for the cash.

• A
    Beginner August 2008
    ashaw2 ·
    • Hide content

I can't believe everyone is giving you such a hard time. You ask for some help and all you get is aload of abuse. If people don't like money poems then they just shouldn't post a reply

Here are a few I came across, some are quite similar:

As we have a home already full of things we don’t need, your company at our special day truly is enough, but, should you feel you have to buy us a present, gift vouchers from Thomson for our honeymoon would be wonderful.

We hope you can be there to join our celebration And would like to take the opportunity to mention…. We’ve been living together for quite a long time, So we no longer need any glasses for wine… or toasters, coasters, towels and dishes all we ask for is your presence and good wishes. But if you feel you must buy us a gift There’s a certain thing that would give us a lift. A small contribution to our honeymoon Would be gratefully received from your Bride and Groom! So enclosed in this invite is some information On how you can make your kind donation But please remember the most important thing That you join us at our wedding to dance, drink and sing!!

Please join us on our special day, Your attendance is desired. Don't feel obliged to give a gift, But a full house is required. We didn't want a wedding list, Our wants are very few, A honeymoon would be nice And there are lots of things to do. Perhaps some Thomson vouchers , Will help us on our way, But most of all we want you there, To share our special day

We are sending out this invitation, And hope you will join our celebration. If to send a gift is your intention, In modesty we would like to mention, We have already got a kettle and a toaster, Crockery, dinner mats and coasters, So rather than something we have already got, Please give us money for our saving pot. But, most importantly, we request, That you turn up as our wedding guest

WE HOPE THAT YOU CAN MAKE IT TO WHAT WILL BE OUR SPECIAL DAY BUT BEFORE YOU RUSH OUT TO BUY A GIFT WE WOULD LIKE TO SAY WE'VE LIVED TOGETHER FOR 10 YEARS NOW WE'VE MADE OUR HOUSE A HOME ITS FULL OF CROCKERY, POTS & PANS AND THE USUAL WALK ABOUT PHONE DONT FEEL YOU HAVE TO BRING A GIFT YOUR PRESENCE IS PRESENT ENOUGH BUT 'JOHN LEWIS' VOUCHERS ARE JUST AN IDEA IF YOU FEEL A GIFT IS A MUST IDEALLY WE'D LOVE A HONEYMOON OUR CHANCE TO GET AWAY A DONATION TOWARDS THIS, BIG OR SMALL WOULD HELP US ON OUR WAY SO THE CHOICE IS YOURS, WE REALLY DONT MIND YOU DECIDE WHATS BEST WE'RE JUST HAPPY TO BE GETTING MARIIED AND TO HAVE YOU AS OUR GUEST

Our life together has already begun, And we have almost everything under the sun. If you wish to give a gift, Metro centre vouchers or cash would give us a lift. Surprises would be most welcome too, But the best gift of all would be to share our special day with you. Now that we've saved you any fuss, We can't wait for you to celebrate with us.

we haven't got a wedding list, the reason we'll explain, it,s to save you all the hassle as shopping is a pain. we thought we,d ask you all for a small contribution for us to take a hoilday. so if you,d like to contribute towards our honeymoon we offer you our heart felt thanks. with love bride and groom

• missloo
    Beginner December 2010
    missloo ·
    • Hide content

My parents just got an invite in the post and inside the invite there was a little coupon that said 'we want argos vouchers for gifts'

bloody cheek of it lol

• CountDuckula
    Beginner August 2009
    CountDuckula ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Abuse? ? I think you may need to grow some balls if you think that is abuse. This is Hitched, we discuss things and offer different views on things. If you want a forum that just goes along with what you say then this definitely isn't the place for you. It may have been wise to suss that out before jumping in with both feet and cries of 'abuse'.

• A
    Beginner August 2008
    ashaw2 ·
    • Hide content

Maybe abuse is a bit harsh, but hard time yes. She didn't ask peoples opinions about money poems just if anyone had any. I just don't understand why she got some of the replies left. You and others may not like them but there is no need to give her a hard time because she does. The thing I liked about hitched is everyonre seemed really helpful unfortunately not on this thread

• scotlady101
    Beginner
    scotlady101 ·
    • Hide content

OOOhhhh, saw this was a subject again and had to take a peek! It always had loads of responses! ️ ??

E

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics