Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Fleur10
Beginner June 2011

Alternative dresses to White or Ivory... what do you think?

Fleur10, 2 of February of 2011 at 21:16 Posted on Planning 0 22

Hi all, I've attached some photos of some gorgeous dresses, they are a real alternative to the usual white/ ivory colour wedding style, I'm really toying with the idea of going with something unusual as I do like to be different. Would love to hear what you think of them?

22 replies

Latest activity by arnold2b, 4 of February of 2011 at 15:01
  • Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

People didn't expect me to wear a dress that wasn't white or ivory and a lot thought it was going to be really plain but it was anything but and it was 2 shades of champagne. If you like different then go for it.

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I could never see myself personally having any other dress than the norm.. I wouldn't feel 'bridal' if that makes sense. The furthest I'd go out of the norm would be mushroom or champagne. The only way I'd add another colour would be with a different coloured petticoat.

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content

Im having very pale pink and feel traditional and bridey in mine so i say go for it!

• E
    Beginner December 2011
    eternallyme ·
    • Hide content

They are all beautiful but number 3 catches my attention the most. Then again I am biased towards alternative as my dress is green (and its a bright moss green at that... will hopefully flash on Saturday when i go to collect it!). I say go for it!?

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

I briefly thought of wearing a red dress... if I had done, I'd have gone for Maggie Sottero's Fiorenza:

• miss.understood
    Beginner February 2011
    miss.understood ·
    • Hide content

I'm getting married in a black dress.....i think people expected me to get married in black...but a dress?! that was the shocker, i don't do dresses lol xx

• joannexyx
    Beginner July 2013
    joannexyx ·
    • Hide content

Im thinkin about pale pink. dont see y not if its what u like. i want princess style so princess=pink!

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Eternally me - can't wait to see your green dress, make sure you flash Smiley smile

Miss Understood - yes, I saw your black dress flash and thought it was lovely and suited you very well. I do already have an ivory wedding dress that I bought, its beautiful but the more time goes on the more undecided I seem to be getting about the colour. I think its because I did toy with the idea of a coloured dress initially, I have very pale skin so blues/greens do make me come alive a bit more ?

Ooo decisions, decisions......

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I had a Gold Dress ( with my dad)

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Sherrie, your dress is beautiful ? What colour were your bridesmaids in?

• N
    Beginner November 2011
    November 2011 bride ·
    • Hide content

I am having what i know now is a teal kinda colour lol

• Katscamel
    Katscamel ·
    • Hide content

Fleur -love pics 2 and 3 as they are the type of colours I would have gone for. I'm having pink - hopefully first flash next week when I go and pick it up. It's not too girlie (I hope) - some 'traditional' pink silk and then some fab Indian fabric in a darker pink with flashes of gold, turquoise and green - I know sound very odd but hopefully it'll work.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes, coloured dresses get my vote - I'm having the outfit above (possibly a slightly different corset). Have what YOU want, not what everyone else expect you to have.

• *JLS*
    Beginner July 2012
    *JLS* ·
    • Hide content

I'd say go for it as well - but then again I am wearing read so I would say that Smiley smile Go with whatever your want!!

FutureMrsJ - You have great taste Smiley smile

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

It's such a beautiful dress...

Maybe I will have a big party and vow renewal ceremony on our 40th wedding anniversary (ruby) and wear it! I've already planned a 10th anniversary party so I can wear a style of dress that I'm not wearing this time haha!

• P
    Beginner November 2011
    pancras ·
    • Hide content

Where are the dresses from I especially like 1 and 2. ?

• tahdah
    Beginner September 2009
    tahdah ·
    • Hide content

I love the pink & the blue choices, the detail on them is gorgeous, I especially like the flowers on the pink one.

I'd say go for it, it's lovely having a dress that people actually remember rather than...'she got married in white' but they couldn't tell you any more!

• WhiteRose84
    Beginner
    WhiteRose84 ·
    • Hide content

You should definitely go for what you want and not what you think you should go for... if that makes sense!

My sister got married in red and it looked stunning! I always thought I'd marry in a champagne coloured dress, but the colour just didn't do anything for me being Chinese. I fell in love with a white dress - and i mean bright white!

Good luck in your planning!

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Ladies, Pancras - I found the dresses on ebay! what would we do without ebay huh... haha.. To be honest they are not major expensive so I'm thinking they look lovely in the photos but the real thing might be different, although feedback on them seems to be very good. My favourite is the blue one but I shouldn't be looking as I already have my dress, I dont know why I'm being so indecisive all of a sudden! Cant wait to see all the flashes from those who are having coloured dresses, I look forward to that Smiley smile

The lady who posted her teal dress from uptight clothing.. wow, Uptight was the first web site I drooled over when I started looking at dresses... gorgeous but way out of my price range unfortunately.

• E
    Beginner December 2011
    eternallyme ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I did exactly the same..... been looking at that site for years dreaming of THE dress (they do a lovely green dress with the model standing amongst bluebells). If i could have afforded it I would have gone that route as they are amazing!

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Huge fan of alternative dresses here. I'd feel like a prize idiot in an ivory or white dress. Those are colours Ijust don't wear, so had no intention of wearing one on my wedding day.

I love the blue dress.

I'm getting married in black, here's mine...

Wear what you'll feel comfortable in. You don't have to wear white or ivory, just because it's considered "the norm".

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

OMG!! Ebony.. that dress is stunning, I love it.

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

Those dresses arent really in my taste, but i would choose number 2 or 3 from yours! as they are more unusual style.

i think if i was going to not have white then it would have to still be a very 'weddingy' style and quite big, to really distinguish it from a prom dress or any other dress. It would probably be a MASSIVE pink one lol. ooooh you got me thinking now!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics