Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner October 2014

What would you/OH wear?

sal.mike, 11 of April of 2015 at 11:56 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

Hi girls,

Odd one, but what would you and OH wear to a surprise 50th birthday party, if you didn't know the venue and the dress code said 'semi-formal attire'?

Venue usually helps dictate what to wear but if google reveals nothing, you're kind of at a loss.

Thanks in advance!

10 replies

Latest activity by HelenSomerset, 12 of April of 2015 at 21:22
  • InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I'd wear a dress - but then I always wear dresses. Nothing too cocktail-y though. And heels probably. I dunno so much about H - Google suggests it means a light suit for daytime or a darker one for evening, but not a tux.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, interesting one! I think I'd wear a dress, maybe a 50s style, think summer garden party. I'd probably put H in trousers and a shirt (and a jacket possibly) but maybe not a tie. I suspect there'll be quite a range of outfits based on that, so don't stress yourself too much!

• S
    Beginner October 2014
    sal.mike ·
    • Hide content

Thanks girls. I'm certainly thinking dress but I don't know exactly what. And OH is at a total loss!

I asked the neighbour of the birthday lady as I don't know the daughter who is throwing the party, and the neighbour unhelpfully said 'Well it's a fairly posh party but I don't think they want a sea of taffeta. But more than a summer BBQ. Think somewhere between posh wedding and afternoon tea party and you're fine.'

Only I don't think that's as helpful as she intended because there's a lot of scope between posh wedding and afternoon tea!

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Lol! Well that clears it up ?

Here are a couple of thoughts, from more casual to smarter

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_028020452827_-1

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_028020451791_-1

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_046020410705_-1

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_046020410927_-1

http://www.debenhams.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/prod_10701_10001_008010412057_-1

I have no idea if that's useful or not tbh!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I had a massive clearout last summer when OH and I finally got round to combining our homes. I got rid of 5 bin liners full. That said, most of my remaining clothes are still packed in suitcases and boxes. I'm on a diet so as I shrink I'm getting rid of the too big stuff and trying on some of my old stuff that now fits. If I still like it I keep it and if not it's out.

I like everything to be organised and hate clutter, OH is a hoarder so it's a constant battle. We don't have enough wardrobes but he's building me a loft extension and then I'm going to have loads of wardrobes?

Friends often get me round to declutter and organise their cupboards, I get a strange kick out of it.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

Not sure what happened there - it was supposed to be in the spring cleaning thread. My computer is playing up at the moment - anyone else lost the menu bar for the forums?

• S
    Beginner October 2014
    sal.mike ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Doesn't it? I do like pretty much all the dresses you've linked, so I'll check them out properly after I've consulted the bank ? But so stuck for OH still.

Weddings are obvious, summer BBQ's are obvious but posh-ish surprise birthdays are not so obvious! ?

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Ooh, celticcurl, I'm so jealous of the many wardrobes, even if you did thread hop!

Hmm.. Does he have a suit that isn't black? Or trousers and a jacket? (that isn't a suit) think I'd go down that route. Posh ish dos are definitely confusing!!

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

I'd probably wear a maxi dress with heels and my OH would wear trousers, jacket and shirt - no tie.

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I'd wear a dress, but probably a skirt/trousers and smart top would be ok. H would probably wear either a suit or smart trousers, shirt & tie plus non-suit jacket, depending on the venue.

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I suppose it would depend if the party was evening or daytime.

If it was evening, I would go with a black cocktail dress and heels and husband would wear black smart trousers, shirt and trendy tie.

If it was daytime, I would go with more wedding or day at the races attire minus hat or fascinator and husband would wear light trousers and shirt.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics