Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Do you like your family?

9 of May of 2014 at 09:47 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 25

Just a pondering. Mine are OK but I am very different to my brother. I love him and his wife and kids but they are very, very different to us. For example they don't own a single book and treat us suspiciously because we have lots. My Ma is great, none better, but my Step Dad is hard work. My stepsiblings are arseholes, the pair of them so don't have much to do with them.

I have two sets of friends who are off on jolly holidays with their parents this weekend. Dont get me wrong I love my Ma and step Dad and Mum in Law but going on holiday with them is a stretch too far!

25 replies

Latest activity by Kriek, 10 of May of 2014 at 18:13
  • AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I love them all dearly, but no, I don't always like them. I think thats natural. Just because we have similar genes, doesn't mean we're the same. I can cope with my sister in small doses. On holiday together, I nearly murdered her!!

And if I ever had to live with my mum again, I suspect we'd end up hating each other.

However, the older I get, the more I accept their little foibles and love them despite their issues ?

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I do. We're very small (I'm an only child and Mum is too) but we get on fabulously and have such a laugh. It's the same with our extended family (mum's cousins).

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

An excellent question. My mum knows exactly how to needle me (comments about diets and my weight), but I understand that it's not really her fault. She was just brought up in a society where thinness and weight loss is prized, like we all were, and she doesn't question it as much as I do. Her incessant tidying and cleaning irritates me too, but we're just different in that respect. So yeah, I like her generally. I like my dad, but he's very quiet and I sometimes envy other people's seemingly closer relationships with their dads. But he is what he is. I like my brother a lot - he and I think the same way about most things, and I wish I got to see him more.

My extended family are a different question. Some of them are borderline racist, and some are just generally embarrassing. At my brother's wedding, I was single and I got put on a table with a few strangers and my uncle, who had come alone as his wife wasn't well. He decided it was a great time to interrogate me about why I had so many tattoos and how he thought women shouldn't get tattoos. I wanted to dig a hole in the ground and climb into it. So yeah, they're not always the best. But I still love them all. I've been brought up to believe that family are very important and you drop everything to help them if you can. So that's what I try to do.

• ebony_rose
    Genius
    ebony_rose ·
    • Hide content

Hitched ate my post.

In short - no. My Mum and Dad I get on with, but out of my 8 siblings, I speak to none of them.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I tolerate them ?

We're not the, shall I say, easiest family to deal with. Sometimes I'm ashamed of them. Sometimes my mum says things which honestly makes me want to slap her across the face. She is extremely judgemental and has opinions on things she knows absolutely nothing about.

My brother is alright, but he can be an arse and never contacts me unless he wants something.

I have two sisters. One of them I used to be extremely close to, but not so much anymore. She's alright, but quite boring - not as outgoing as I am*. ETA, actually that's a bit unfair to say she's boring. She doesn't really have the same interests as me, but to say that she's boring is unfair. My other sister is a massive pain in the ass. We've always clashed, and can't spend more than a day together because we just go at each other like cat and dog.

My dad's a good'un, though. I don't actually have anything bad to say about him haha.

When we're all together it's a nightmare. And my eldest sister is absolutely disgusting. She burps and farts at the dinner table, which is just gross. Even in front of her children.

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I love love love my parents. My dad and I did not get on at all when I was a teenager but these days we have a great relationship. They're just brilliant. They're there for me whenever I need them, they don't interfere and we just get on great.

My brother is an odd one. Sometimes he'll be lovely, other times he's a complete sh*t head! His fiancee I get on well with and my 2 nephews are probably my 2 favourite people on the planet - I'm a bit of an obsessive auntie I think!

As for the inlaws, they're very nice people, just very boring and I have nothing in common with them. Dinners round their house just drag for me and I prefer not to spend too much time with them.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I am very close to my Mum, Sister and Nana. StepDad and Gramps are both amazing men, but can grind my gears at times. We're very different people. Get on okay with the Steps now we're all older. My Stepsister was always a right kn0bber to my SD when she was a teenager which I had an issue with as he's been an awesome Dad to me - not an alcoholic ar$e like mine.

I am truly lucky as my Mum's side of the family has always been there for me and we would do anything for each other. Quite often go off camping with Ma and SD.

Don't really speak to real Dad, or his family.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

While I am close to my Mum I don't agree with the bad choices she has made and this gets in the way frequently. I don't know my Dad and therefore have no bond with him whether it be love or hate.

I am very close to my sister (I am the eldest and she is second) and would die for her. However, I'm not as close as this with any of my other 5 siblings on my Mums side. My biological father has two daughters who I also don't know.

All in all, yes I love my family but I wouldn't go out of my way to organise a weekend away or anything like that with anyone other than my sister. We were together when times were bad and things could have been worse if it wasn't for her. I love her to pieces and she's giving me away at my wedding Smiley smile

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I get on really well with my parents and my brother (and his soon to be ex-wife). I'm going on holiday with my parents in June. The only grumble I have about them is that they think that their way is the right way. An example of this is that my Dad would never go out for a drink before 9pm but doesn't go to bed until 1 or 2am. He thinks people are really odd/ridiculous if they go out at 7pm and are in bed by 11pm... Silly example I know but the first thing that sprang to mind!

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    H3LEN ·
    • Hide content

I not only love them but get on with them great, we're always doing things as a family including my MIL, and 2 SIL to be. We go on days out and holiday. Once a month I meet up with cousins, auntie and uncle we all have a family games night pool darts dominos it just so happens to be in a pub. My only wish would be for my sister to leave her partner I hate him and that's an awfully strong word. He's controlling sure he has raised an hand to her too but she won't admit it. He's a total nob.

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I get on great with my mum but really dislike my dad. I put up with him for my mums sake but if they weren't together I doubt I'd have anything to do with him. It makes it difficult because he doesn't have a clue what he does wrong so makes everything out to be my problem. He's really looking forward to walking me down the aisle and giving a speech at the wedding but tbh I can't think of anything worse.

I have no siblings and the only other family I see is my gran who I tolerate but she's not a very nice person. Used to get on really well with my gran parents on my mum's side but they're not around anymore.

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

I like and get on with all members of my family, including my extended family. I don't have any siblings so I think that helps because I have noticed sibling relationships can be a bit fractious. I go on holiday with my parents, which is mostly fine, but my mum can be quite annoying (loud, overbearing and quarrelsome) when she gets excited which causes the odd issue. We went on holiday with the in-laws once, which was a mistake. We are on a completely different time zone to them. They get up at around 6 A.M even on holiday so quite often they would be coming home from their day out and we would have only just left, having had a leisurely brunch.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

I adore my mum and dad and my sister, we get on really well and spend lots of time together whether that's going on holiday, camping for the weekend, nights in and out. I get on extremely well with my dads side of the family, aunts, uncles cousins, we go away witht them too. Can't stand my mums sister she's a complete *** but it really doesn't bother us. My brother annoys me because I don't agree with how he choses to live his life, he's very selfish, but that's a story for another day, but I still love him very much.

• AmnesiaCustard
    Beginner June 2011
    AmnesiaCustard ·
    • Hide content

Yes, I love them dearly - but at a distance! I live 200 miles from my Ma and sister, who are both in the town in which |I grew up.

My sister and I are very different people with very different lifestyles and I am not sure we understand each other, but I think that when it matters we would pull together.

My mum is great. A real feisty bird and a great role model.

My Pa died 5 years ago and I miss him every day.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Yes I'm very lucky. I've got 5 brothers and sisters and have a great relationship with each one. We don't live in each other's pockets though which I think can help. I also have a good relationship with my mum and dad too.

I also get on well with all my BILs and SILs and my MIL. Her partner is a different story though as is my FIL

• *Teabag*
    Beginner June 2013
    *Teabag* ·
    • Hide content

I love my family dearly too and just wish that I lived closer to my sister. She is around 100 miles away in the arse end of nowhere Lincolnshire so I don't get to see her as often as I'd like. I think that it's got worse recently as my neices are 10 and 12 now and have their own weekend activities and social life but maybe things will change.

My parents are both only children and my Grandparents have now passed away so our family is really small. I don't know if that makes us closer but I definitely get on better with them now I'm an adult. Mind you, you'd not know that I am an adult as my Mum still tells me off for going out without a coat on... ?

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

I like my Mum and Dad. We go on holiday with them every 18 months or so, mostly because they get freebies on some timeshare subscription thing. We are taking them to Italy this year, which is actually to get out of the already-touted November holiday to the Canaries, because we've already booked to go elsewhere on our own. So basically, it's to pacify them. I fear the holiday scenario may pop up more frequently in the coming years - on our last visit, my Mum collared Boy and told him that they couldn't holiday alone for much longer (which is, in my opinion, bollocks) and that we were "better at organising all that stuff". She even tried to angle to come with us to Canada next year, for Boy's niece's wedding, and gatecrash our road trip across the Rockies....grrrr.

I like my brother very much, and he is the person I feel most maternal towards in the world. Without sounding insensitive/flippant, I know that at some point, I'm going to lose my parents, but the thought of losing my brother makes me feel physically sick. I don't really know why - I mean, I spend more time with friends and am closer to a lot more people, but there it is.

I like Boy's Dad and, before her death, got on with Boy's Mum very well.

I love Boy's sister. She is definitely the sister I never had (but now do!). We say "I love you" to each other. Randomly, she and my Mum are also pretty close.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

As many of you know my dad has drink/drug/mental issues. Despite all of his failings I love him dearly as worry about him almost constantly. He lives in London so I rarely see him, I miss him often, and wish things were different. He loves me as much as someone in his position can, I'm his world, but he doesn't always act that way. I dread the day I get that call.

I see my mum more often but my love for her doesn't run as deep as it does for my dad. No idea why, as she was the one who raised me, but I just don't feel the same intense love. She isn't very maternal, and there's a lot that I would do differently with my own children.

I love my gran with all my heart, see her once a week, and don't know what I'd do without her. I've always been very close to her and I'm so lucky to have her. I loved my grandad equally, and often felt that he was the only person in my family who understood me. He died six months before our wedding and it broke my heart.

My cousin is my best friend in the world, I love her without question, I would die for her in an instant. Her brother is also a close cousin, but not the same intensity, although I do still love him.

My brother is an arse but I love him. He is 8 years older and we struggle to get along sometimes. He still views me as a little girl and can be condescending at times but he means well. He lives in NZ now and I miss his often.

I'm fairly indifferent about the rest of my family. If my mum want my mum I'd feel the same about her I think, she definitely annoys me a lot. I sometimes think I only love her because I should, if that makes sense?

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I like my family, we are distant by nature and geographically which I think is the way I like it.

My mum is hard work the more confused she gets. I struggle to spend time with her and when I do I end up getting annoyed with her as she us so incoherent. This in turn makes me feel guilty as I know she us so scared of what's happening to her. I don't really have a mum anymore as she is a total shadow if herself. She is/was such a strong woman and it's tragic to see what she has become. She forgot my birthday last week ?

My dad is great apart from thinking the daily mail is a good paper.

I love my two sisters dearly. One lives in nz and I miss her terribly as we were really close growing up, she was like a second mum to me.

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

My mum is amazing and I love her dearly. We had a very, very similar sense of humour and lots of in-jokes. H and my stepdad both say that it's impossible to understand what we're saying to each other half the time because we're always giggling and talking in our own language. I talk to her every day, although we only get to meet up a few times a year because of her health and living so far away from one another.

I have one younger brother, one stepsister from my mum's previous marriage, and a stepsister and stepbrother from her current marriage.

My brother and I are very close, very good friends. He's much cooler than me though. All my friends are now his friends <shakes fist>. My (technically ex) stepsister is very sweet and I'm glad we've stayed in touch despite my mum and her dad divorcing. She has a little boy too now so we swap parenty stories lots. I've never actually met my other stepsiblings though.

My dad is a prize arse. We haven't spoken for almost a year and won't do again. Long story, but the short version is that he's not worth my time or effort.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

Since my dad left when I was 14, my brother, mum and I have been extremely close since. Before we were just so so but after we had a lot of fun together and became almost inseparable. My mum and I get along really well (most of the time - she occasionally drives me mental!) h gets on well with her too, he treats her as of she was his mum and thinks a lot of her for how she raised us/coped with my dad. We all bought a house together so living so close sometimes makes us fall out. Recently she's had some health issues with her partner so things have been tense.

I love my brother, I feel very maternal towards him and while everything was happening with my dad and all the problems, I felt like I had to protect him. I think I've always been like that since school, and I think I always will be. We either fought like cat and dog or were complete best friends when he lived at home but now he lives in England, I miss him loads and we talk/text often but we never fall out now so I think it's a good thing. It's hard not seeing him every day though, although I feel so proud of him.

My uncle (dad's brother), his wife and two kids we get on with. It's weird, he was in the navy so I've only seen him a handful of times in my life. But he gave me a teddy when I was one which I still have and is my most prized possession and he also paid for our honeymoon, so I feel very close to him even though we don't see or talk to him often.

Everyone else in short no!

They're all horrible, strange and have done terrible things. My mums mum is getting very confused, which is sad, but she has starting telling lies about me and what I've done and said which is just so upsetting. My dad's mum hates me because I'm close with mum and don't get on with my dad, she won't speak to me despite many attempts. My uncle staged a get together last year and she wouldn't make eye contact. She's the sort who ridicules everything I've ever done. Also she said "I'll check my diary" when I gave her my wedding invitation. Sad thing is, I don't see my grandad now, he's ill from strokes (disabled since 40 with his first one) and I've always felt terribly close to him.

And well my dad, I hope to never see him again. He is the most horrible person, I can't forgive what he's done to us, the situation he left us in or the way we've all been treated. Turning up to my wedding and being a prick didn't help his cause either. I hope to god he doesn't have kids with his new wife, I couldn't forgive that, he just gets to start over and we all don't.

Ugh, just reading that back gave me a headache. I spent so long convinced I'm a horrid person to cause this, but in reality, they're idiots and I have tried my best. If we come to have kids, it'll be their loss, which I find very very sad.

• Canary
    Beginner August 2013
    Canary ·
    • Hide content

I'm very lucky that I love my entire family very much. My parents are probably some of my best friends and my siblings are awesome. The only person I'm not as close with is my step dad but he and my mum have spilt up now so don't really count him as immediate family

I go between liking and loving H's family. They are fabulous but are so very different, it can sometimes grate.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I am probably most similar to my brother. My brother is quite disorganised and wrapped up in himself. One of those people you always have to ring or message as he never thinks to do it. My Mother is quite hard work and can be quite high maintenance but quite caring at times. My Mum's sister is a pain, all about her and very highly strung. I struggle to spend time with her. I don't have much to do with the rest of my extended family, l live miles from them.

• Enjayee
    Beginner April 2013
    Enjayee ·
    • Hide content

This is a good question.

I love my family but I do have a weird relationship with them, although they wouldn't say the same thing. Growing up was difficult sometimes. My dad had a problem with drink and his anger which he never really addressed, and I got hit pretty badly (unprovoked) on more than one occasion. But when he was sober he was the best dad ever, really like a different person (and how he is now), so I used to cry on Saturday or Sunday afternoons when he said that he was "just popping out" and try to stop him going as I knew he would come back as a different person and I was so scared of being hit. Today I am weirdly fairly close with him, but sometimes I feel angry towards him on random occasions about the past as I'm still having to deal with it.

My mum was/is very religious and I was brought up going to a church which was founded in the Philippines. I left when I was 21 and my mum and I have had huge fights about it, although now she is just happy that I am happy. But when I was a teenager she was so into it that at points if I did something she didn't agree with (like go to the pub) she would tell me how I would rot in hell. So couple that with the drinky dad, it wasn't always easy. She also did nothing about my dad hitting me which still bothers me but it's not worth raking stuff up as it'll only hurt me - the time I did confront it I was told I was making it up.

My sister and I are close, but I worry about her as she still lives at home at age 32, and she went back to the mad church which she left shortly after I did, and I know she's not doing it for the right reasons. But if I say anything to her she flies off the handle to the point where she can actually become quite violent.

Saying all that, I do love them but I'm not comfortable around them. I feel this weird loyalty towards them, despite everything that has gone on.

My inlaws are quite simply wonderful and I don't know what I would do without them in my life. My SIL in particular is like a real sister and means more to me than she knows.

Please don't quote this as I will probably remove the bulk of it later - for some reason I just felt like getting it out. It's not very many people I tell about this but it's something I carry round with me ... I feel a bit lighter having written it. I apologise for bringing the thread down.

• Kriek
    Beginner December 2012
    Kriek ·
    • Hide content

I think I'm lucky that I'm really close to most of my family. My three brothers are my favourite people in world and we hang out socially quite often, I've just moved 170 miles away and I'm going to miss them. Obviously we do all have the odd fight but it's usually all forgotten about very quickly. I'm really close to my mum too. My dad is the only one I struggle to get on with sometimes. His heart is in the right place but he has serious anxiety/depression and refuses to do anything about it, he drinks too much on top of that and his selfishness infuriates me. We get on ok when I just see him from time to time but he's a very difficult person to live with.

I get on really well with my extended family too. Both my parents were one of six children so I have loads of cousins and we all meet up fairly often for big birthday parties etc. We've done a few holidays together for family weddings which were great fun but we always made sure to schedule at least a few days alone to balance it out.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics