Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

How thick should a wedding ring practically be?

16 of August of 2013 at 20:30 Posted on Planning 0 12

Since you lovely ladies helped me decide what sort of ring to have, I've had a look on Alba Rose and found that they do a plain 2mm (that's narrow enough right?) band and you can choose from light, medium or heavy which I presume indicates the thickness. It's gonna be in platinum so what thickness does everyone think it should be? I know nothing about this sort of thing!

12 replies

Latest activity by estilomodabridal, 2 of September of 2013 at 15:36
  • Y
    Beginner April 2014
    YellowDuckie ·
    • Hide content

I'm going for 2mm as that's what my ER is too, so they'll match.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 2mm as well. For depth/thickness, most are similar, but can look different depending on whether you have a rounded court style, or one with "vertical sides" that tend to look a little thicker. Mine is 2mm with vertical sides. Matches my e ring.

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bellaZ ·
    • Hide content

I was going to get a 2.5mm heavy court ring, but it was thicker than my ER and they didn't sit well together, so I ended up with a 2.5mm medium. Which was cheaper, so a good thing! I guess the best advice is to try it on with your ER and see which ring looks best with it.

• Lucylonglegs
    Beginner March 2014
    Lucylonglegs ·
    • Hide content

All depends what your hands/fingers are like... A meatier looking ring will look better on bigger hands. I can't think what my ring is off the top of my head, there's no right or wrong thickness.. Just go with what looks and feels right.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'd say this too and also depends on your ER ad if you're planning on wearing both together.

My ER has a fairly dainty band so I'll go for a thinner wedding ring to kind of match it's thickness.

• A
    Beginner December 2013
    animalmad ·
    • Hide content

Mine is 2.5mm wide, but my ER is quite a chunky band, so it matches fine...................I was worried that anything narrower would A. look lost if worn on it's own B. look like the ring pull off the coke can ?

• Polka Dot Penguin
    Beginner
    Polka Dot Penguin ·
    • Hide content

I think mine is 2.5mm or it may even be 3mm but I have sausage fingers. My advice would be try lots on and see what looks best and feels most natural.

• H
    Beginner September 2013
    hev54 ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for a 2.5mm light ring and on its own it looks a little odd but with my ER it looks fab. I would advise going into a jewellers first to try on lot of different ones and they buy from Alba Rose-that's what we did and it really helped as what I thought would suit me really didn't.

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

Hi Takkaeli,

Here are my rings:

My WB is a 2.5mm Ladies Court Ring Medium Weight. It is the same curve as my ER. Other ones I saw were flat, or more curved, you know, humpier! I would say that my ER is 2mm but it is not written on the paperwork as I just checked - but it is slightly thinner than my WB. I wanted my WB to be very slightly wider but not too wide as I have short fingers!

On the weight. Mine is medium and this makes the band the same 'band height' as my ER. The shop tried to talk me into a heavy weight one. It was very very hard to see the difference but I did notice that it was sitting funny against the stone of my ER and therefore it is obviously fractionally higher band height than my ER and not sitting exactly right. I was also not prepared to pay another couple of hundred for a ring where the extra value was not visible to the naked eye!

Hope that helps?

• alabastamasta
    Beginner May 2014
    alabastamasta ·
    • Hide content

Definitely depends on size of your fingers and your ER!

Don't forget the thicker it is, the more it will stick out, so it's always best to see how it sits with your ER. Normally, I find people want the WR to be the same - or very similar - thickness to their ER so they match. Agree with what everyone else is saying, go try some on; you wouldn't buy a dress without trying it first and you only get to wear that for one day Smiley tongue

I'm trying to decide on mine ATM, my ER will prob be between 4 and 2.5mm thickness at the top and my WR will have whatever profile my ER ends up with!

• K
    kathyed ·
    • Hide content

2-3mm depending on the length and width of your finger. good question though, mine is 2mm as I have small fingers and I have a small frame.

• estilomodabridal
    estilomodabridal ·
    • Hide content

I would say try it on with your ER and choose the one you are most comfortable with

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics