Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

N
Beginner October 2013

Wedding for 2 - help please!

Nanoushka, 29 of July of 2013 at 11:20 Posted on Planning 0 25

My fiancée and I just want to get married, no fuss, no guests, no bridesmaids etc. you would think it would be easier than planning a wedding for hundreds but we cannot find anywhere suitable as most venues want to cater for the hundreds to make more money and have a minimum guest requirement of 40 people.

We don't want a church as we are not religious, registry office just seems so informal and not very exciting, beach abroad does not appeal as we are not big sun worshippers, somewhere quirky like the London Eye sounded good but is very expensive so we are getting really worried that we cannot find anywhere suitable.

We had planned on Greece, but the paperwork, translations and apostille stamps all add up to over budget, plus the Wedding Planner (not really much to plan?) is looking at a cut of 20% !!!! so over £1000 for doing well not much really, Canada was an option as you can get married anywhere by the commissioner but again flights alone take up half our budget. We thought our budget for 2 people and no guests was plenty and we could go somewhere amazing but apparently not.

Any ideas ladies?

25 replies

Latest activity by artisanwedding.co.uk, 31 of July of 2013 at 20:14
  • minimorecambe
    Beginner August 2013
    minimorecambe ·
    • Hide content

Gretna Green?

• Dreamysmiles
    Beginner October 2013
    Dreamysmiles ·
    • Hide content

Come up to Scotland, you can get married outside etc so you could have a lochside wedding or seaside for quite cheap and would still be different.

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content

Deffo Gretna!!!

• N
    Beginner October 2013
    Nanoushka ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I will definitely look into Scotland, I had not thought of there.

Gretna - Is that not for 'young lovers' ?

Kentish Lass, your report on Dartmoor sounded right up our street, cycling, walking, eating, just having time together with no agenda, maybe we could do something similar in Scotland, hiking, log cabin etc.

Fingers crossed, I have all day at home to try and get something in my wedding book!!!!

• N
    Beginner October 2013
    Nanoushka ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, I will definitely look into Scotland, I had not thought of there.

Gretna - Is that not for 'young lovers' ?

Kentish Lass, your report on Dartmoor sounded right up our street, cycling, walking, eating, just having time together with no agenda, maybe we could do something similar in Scotland, hiking, log cabin etc.

Fingers crossed, I have all day at home to try and get something in my wedding book!!!!

• M
    Beginner August 2014
    MOMB ·
    • Hide content

There are lots of opportunities for private weddings in Scotland.

Try www.weeweddings.co.uk as an example (not a recommendation as I haven't used them!!)

• Kentish Gal
    Beginner July 2013
    Kentish Gal ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ooh yes, Scotland would be beautiful for that type of break, yes! And Gretna isn't for kids only, I promise. I looked in to it. Simple and understated. Beautiful.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

My TOG shot a wedding for 2 at a chateau in France which looked amazing http://janisratnieks.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/destination-wedding-photography-in.html

Islington registry office in London is lovely you could then do a whole host of things around the city afterwards.

• JayneyB
    Beginner November 2012
    JayneyB ·
    • Hide content

The Saddleworth Hotel do small weddings. Beautiful surroundings and when we visited they told us they were also the witnesses for the wedding!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Gretna green is for everyone not just young honest Smiley smile You'd love it.

I'd highly recommend The lodge on loch Lomond hotel, me & OH stayed there for a night and it's beautiful.
    On the small sandy beach with loads of nice wee shops and touristy places nearby including bird of prey centre, places for hill walking etc, and a lovely pier that so many people have photos taken at for weddings.
    They would marry just the 2 of you and have a lovely restaurant which also looks out to the loch and is just a very lovely place.
    Our room had a view of the loch (stunning) and also a sauna in the bedroom, lovely bathroom just perfect. Also has an attached spa for couples on honeymoon etc.
    We loved it and are thinking of going for a night or 2 after the wedding as we can't afford a big honeymoon Smiley smile x

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content

We looked at Gretna too and they do all sizes of wedding (and ages!). If you're looking in Scotland, I'd recommend looking at Piperdam too - we've stayed in a lodge there a couple of times and loved it (especially the hot tub!). I'm not sure if they do small weddings or not but it's worth a look. I'm not sure of the prices etc but there were quite a few approved venues in North Yorkshire that said they did intimate weddings too.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

If you were prepared to travel to Canada and Greece, would you go to Iceland? We saw a couple preparing to marry under a waterfall, just them and a minister of some sort, so laws must be different there to here.

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

Zanzibar, see my report below.

• N
    Beginner October 2013
    Nanoushka ·
    • Hide content

Thanks ladies some great ideas to investigate.

Trish, if you remember any of the North Yorkshire venues please do post, I have had a quick look but will investigate more tomorrow as well as Gretna, Scotland and Zanzibar?

My new mission is to book by Wednesday!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Ooh Wednesday, let us know how you get on Smiley smile x

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

We used www.zanzibarweddings.com and they were brilliant. Sjani is the wedding planner and is so helpful and flexible. We then used Imagine Africa to build a honeymoon around the trip.

• mariannechuaphotography
    mariannechuaphotography ·
    • Hide content

Oooh an elopement! I've seen elopement photography before and it always looks beautiful, I would also suggest Scotland, get married on a remote mountain or something Smiley winking

• N
    Beginner October 2013
    Nanoushka ·
    • Hide content

Gosh I really don't know now. Today as it is raining I'm steering more towards a beautiful beach wedding, but then again is it really what we want? How do you ladies decide when there are so many places to choose from?

I would be hopeless if I had guests, bridesmaids, best man, gifts, invites and all the other million and one things to organise, how do you do it?

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

How did I decide, easy really... we wanted a C of E wedding. I am divorced and my local churches at the time refused to marry a divorcee. I also didn't want a huge production like my first marriages, and wanted something personal, intimate and meaningful. We could have gone to Scotland, but I was wary of the weather, plus some people would have tried to come with us.

A colleague had been to Zanzibar and raved about it, so I wondered if we could marry there. Then I found the website I mentioned earlier and found I could have either a civil or C of E service, alone, on the beach, with pretty much guaranteed sunshine. Didn't look any further and booked them!

• Trish2014
    Beginner June 2014
    Trish2014 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I can't remember many (and this was just going off websites - I've not visited any) but here's a couple of ideas:

https://thepriestshouse.com/

http://www.markenfield.com/weddings/rooms/the-vaulted-study/

• goldpants
    Beginner May 2014
    goldpants ·
    • Hide content

It's not the cheapest place in the world to buy things but for a cheap ryanair flight you,can go to (in my opinion!) the most beautiful country on the planet - Norway. Not sure about the legal laws and all that but if you are an outdoorsy person you should definitely check it out, I have been three times to a cabin on a lake and it's my official 'happy place' Smiley smile xxxx

• N
    Beginner October 2013
    Nanoushka ·
    • Hide content

Trish, thanks for these I will call them both today.

Barefoot, Zanzibar looks lovely, we have called Imagine Africa to put a quote together for us but on Safari then onto a few days on a beach in Kenya instead.

Still looking at Gretna, ceremony only is cheap but then 2 nights accommodation plus registrar and travel, will we be better putting that money towards getting married and honeymoon package?

My deadline from fiancée is to today to get something booked as we just keep going round in circles!!

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

One of the most amazing locations I've ever photographed, was Prague. The ceremony took place in a public gardens that was just immaculate and the city itself is breath taking Smiley smile

http://www.peterkelk.com/an-old-wedding-i-covered-in-prague-around-6-years-ago/

Pete x

• N
    Beginner October 2013
    Nanoushka ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Peter but we wanted somewhere neither of us had been to before and we have both been to Prague, which indeed was lovely as you have described. I am getting more confused by the hour now and will just give up soon I think.

• artisanwedding.co.uk
    artisanwedding.co.uk ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No worries! I'd get married there in a heartbeat... Smiley smile Hope you don't give up, and find the perfect place.

Pete x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics