Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holey
Beginner July 2011

Lighthearted books recommendations

Holey, 6 of August of 2014 at 08:32 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

I normally read a lot of crime novels but I'm looking for an author that writes something a bit light hearted. I'm not keen on full on 'chick-lit,' if I wanted something more light-hearted I'd normally reads Jane Green or Kate Morton type books but have exhausted all of theirs!

So can anyone recommend anything/anyone?

Just to narrow the criteria even further I don't like anything that can even loosely be described as sci-fi!

9 replies

Latest activity by Panjita, 7 of August of 2014 at 16:45
  • Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I like Jojo Moyes. They are slightly chick-litty but usually have some interesting historical parts in them. I'm reading Ship of Brides at the moment which is about War Brides being shipped over from Australia to their husbands in the UK. It interested me as my Nan's sister married a GI during the war and got shipped over to Vegas and never came back. Must have been such a scary experience for those girls. Some of them were so young, leaving their families and going off to a strange land where they only knew their husband, after sometimes only knowing their husbands for a few months.

Other authors I like are Tess Stimson, Dorothy Koomson, Marian Keyes (my favourite), Jane Fallon and the odd one by Sophie Hannah.

• AuntieBJ
    Beginner September 2014
    AuntieBJ ·
    • Hide content

I love Jojo Moyes and Sophie Hannah! Have you read "The Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out Of A Window..." yet? Brilliant book and definitely lighthearted ?

• KittenCake
    Beginner May 2013
    KittenCake ·
    • Hide content

I was also going to recommend Jojo Moyes. I don't like chic lit, but I have enjoyed some of hers. I thought 'The Last Letter from Your Lover' was especially good. Lisa Jewell is another author I go to when I want a light read. She is a bit more chick lity but if you pick carefully some of them are quite good, especially 'Before I Met You'.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Are we talking novels only? I just finished Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me and it was so good. But it's a memoir really. I haven't read fiction in so long.

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I love Carole Matthews, Jackie Collins, Jane Costello, Patricia Scanlan, Sheila O'Flanagan. I do love chick lit for easy pre-bedtime reading!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Ah CRL I forgot about Jane Costello, thanks!

I've gone for Jojo Moyes - The girl you left behind I think it's called. A few of hers seem a bit too airy fairy for me but this one seemed appealing.

Thanks everyone!

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

The Girl You Left Behind is my favourite of hers so far (I've also read Me Before You, Last Letter from your Lover and am part way through Ship of Brides).

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content

I've been reading a lot of books by an author called John Locke which are quite good. He's got a few different series' but all the characters interlink, my favourites so far were 'Promise you Wont Tell', 'Bad Doctor' and 'Lethal Experiment'. They've all got crime sort of undertones (Lethal experiment for example is about an assasin) But without putting too much focus on it so its still a light heated read without being too chick-litty.

• cinnamon009
    Beginner December 2014
    cinnamon009 ·
    • Hide content

I've just finished Cuckoos Calling by Robert Gilbraith. It's supposed to be a crime novel (I'm a thriller/crime novel addict) but its very very light, more easy reading than proper crime novel. I whizzed through it quickly. I found the end predictable but not too bad.

I do like JoJo Moyes though and normally I hate chick lit so you might be surprised. And there is another phrase I hate - 'chick lit'. I know its supposed to have a wider meaning so the book is about modern womanhood but I see it as meaning literature dumbed down and airy fairy so even girls can read it. Hmmm.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I dislike this too.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics