Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Y
Beginner September 2013

Colour theme dilemma

Yorkie82, 19 of September of 2012 at 11:47 Posted on Planning 0 12

Hi all

I am having a serious dilemma with my colour having being extremely indecisive!!! Smiley sad

Originally was going with purple but having thought about it I have changed my mind! My H2B is wearing his army ones (which are navy with red) so im now thinking Navy/midnight blue. But i have no idea what centerpieces would suit?

I would love to have flowers but cannot find anything that I like. I went to a wedding fair over the weekend and they had a navy table setup with a crystal tree as the centrepiece which looked so nice. I would still want flowers on the top table but unsure if it would look odd...

Does anyone have any advise... has anyone on here had/having a navy theme?

I have less than 12 months to sort and im so s**t at planning & deciding im having a little stress!

Aaaaand breathe!

12 replies

Latest activity by charlottelucy, 19 of September of 2012 at 16:25
  • Luna_12
    Beginner October 2012
    Luna_12 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldnt choose midnight blue purely because I'm assuming that is the main colour of his uniform? Why not have red? it will still tie in with his uniform and will be easy to coordinate other things with. I am a little biased though. our colour theme is black white and red lol x

• cake lady
    Beginner September 2012
    cake lady ·
    • Hide content

I made a wedding cake for someone who was having midnight blue as colour of her bridesmaid dresses. She chose yellow freesias & white Akito roses for top of cake & the flowers on the tables. She chose to have midnight blue ribbon round cake & there may have been some m'night blue runners on the tables ( I can't quite remember) but it all looked nice & incorporated the m'night blue into her colours nicely.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Hey fellow army wife to be! Smiley smile

I wouldn't worry too much about everything matching, you'll soon find out it's going to be near on impossible! Before you pick a set colour scheme, I'd get the bridesmaid dresses - I had a set idea that I wanted a bronze colour scheme and ended up falling in love with teal bridesmaid dresses, so that then became the colour scheme!

And I am in the same boat flowers wise, obviously you can't get teal flowers (I don't like dyed flowers!) so we have gone for a complimentary colour instead, ivory with pale pinks. It doesn't have to all match exactly at all!

Our theme is technically teal & silver so whatever I struggle to find in teal, I get in silver instead. Maybe think about having a second colour in your theme?

Good luck! Smiley smile xx

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

Why oh why does everything have to match?! Sorry Yorkie, this isn't just aimed at you, I just wonder what the general wedding planning obsession is with making absolutely everything match. Variety is fabulous!!

I'm having navy bridesmaids dresses and the detail on the men's suits (cravats etc.) will be navy but my flowers will be soft pinks and white. Don't tie yourself down to one colour, so many colours go with navy ?

• Y
    Beginner September 2013
    Yorkie82 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry i think I have worded my post wrong. I dont want everything to match, i just some inspiration what would go with (compliment) Navy.

Im getting married in a kind of rustic venue so dont want it to look overfaced with too much blue..

I know there is red on the uniform but really dont want red in the scheme. Im thinking maybe a cream..? I think silver wouldnt suit the venue at all (even though i think its a lovely combination) also with the navy being such a bold/strong colour im kind of thinking of a softer colour to go with it

Natalie, I like your suggestion, so maybe bridesmaids are the way to go to begin?

• NovBride13
    Beginner September 2013
    NovBride13 ·
    • Hide content

Navy and cream would look lovely together. My friend recently got married and her hubby wore his army dress uniform and she had us in cobalt blue bridesmaid dresses with white corsages, it looked lovely. We're having an autumnal theme but blue is my fav colour, so we're having orange and navy, the 2 colours work really well together

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Cream will look gorgeous with Navy! yeah definitely go and get your bridesmaid dresses first, they really can change everything. You don't want to start planning around a Navy colour scheme then find that you can't actually find any dresses you like to go with it!

Off topic, but I'm so jealous your OH is wearing his uniform!! It looks so so nice, and it's lovely to look different to other weddings. My OH has been messed about so much at work he's decided he doesn't want anything army about our wedding, so he's just wearing a suit. He is in the process of leaving now but our whole relationship has been based around his life in the army and I would have been so proud to have it in our wedding, but he just didn't want it! xxx

• Y
    Beginner September 2013
    Yorkie82 ·
    • Hide content

Im going to go have a look at dresses and see what I think! honestly im that indecisive i'll prob decide on Cerise or something equally as far from blue as you can get! I just thought that all the bridal party in navy and me in ivory/cream would look really effective!

I totally understand where your OH is coming from! We are only using the uniform because we like it (and I think it looks really smart!)

I know just how you feel about living your life around the army! its a nightmare! They mess you about left right and centre and dont care! we have spent so much money on flights for him to come home to then be told he cant have the leave! Its really hard to deal with! My OH signs off in the next few months as he is that fed up with how the army works.

• L
    Beginner November 2012
    Lopielopez ·
    • Hide content

Hey

my friends is having navy bridesmaids dress, and she is having cream flowers with a touch of pale pink! Looks pretty, elegant and classy.

Lisa x

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We will continue this chat in private message... we're in the exact same boat!! So many wasted flights and ferry bookings! Arrghhh lol xxx

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

I would go for creams/ whites. Lovely with navy. We had nothing but cream roses for ours everywhere and it looked lovely.

• charlottelucy
    Beginner August 2012
    charlottelucy ·
    • Hide content

Our colour scheme was navy blue and ivory. i hired my centrepieces and used our bouquets on the top table and cake table to save money...here are a few flashes:

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics