Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner September 2014

ADVICE NEEDED PLEASE HELP - parent in law, our wedding weekend structure

Georcelin, 23 of June of 2014 at 12:13 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hello,

I wondered if I could have some feedback and personal opinions and maybe even some advice if you are willing to share, on a tricky situation I find myself in.

I am getting marriedo this year on Saturday the 27 September 2014. We live on a small island which means booking venues and ceremonies etc can be quite difficult and you have to get in there fast. We are not religious (in fact my fiance is Indian and his family are Hindi but he doesnt really follow any religion).

So when we came to book our ceremony and venue and we were originally going to have it all on the Friday 26th, i.e. ceremony at a lovely concert hall (which involves a registrar coming down to the concert hall to marry us, they only do this on a monday to saturday as it is not a religious ceremony in a church in which they hold weddings on saturdays becase the vicor marries the couple) and then on to the venue for our reception party. We had provisionally booked our ceremony and venue and were happy with that, however unfortunatly the venue had looked at the wrong calender and soon afterwards called us to let us know and were very apologetic, they did have the Saturday available though. So this lead to us having to make decision to either move the date completely so that we could have everything take place in one day or spread it over 2 days, in that we go to the registry office on the Friday and do the legal bit with 2 whitnesses and then enjoy our proper ceremony at the venue on the Saturday with all our friends and family watching us with us in our bridal wear, walking down the isle, exchanging of vows and rings, with a humanist marrying us, this was to be our big day and not the Friday.

Anyway as you can probably guess by now we decided to choose the 2nd option and spread over 2 days, mainly because the only other dates left to marry this year were either 2 months too early or later on which would not be in the summer months.

I suggested we nip up to the registry office on Friday, get married do the legal bit with 2 friends as whitnesses, and then stay apart for that night before our wedding day (we already live together with our son) and the saturday at the venue would be treated as our big day with all our friends and family there etc.

the PROBLEM arose when my fiance said he wanted his parents at the legal bit on the friday which i wasnt happy with becuase i thought it would take the importance out of the big day on Saturday, but as it was just his parents i reluctantly agreed. however then he said it wouldnt be fair on his sister not to come so he wanted her there too! he also has family coming over from india and suggested they come but i put my foot down and said no as my family werent coming as they respected that the saturday was all about the wedding and not the friday. it was left like that for a while...

today i am worried as it is getting closer to the wedding day now and i have a sinking feeling in my stomach and i really dont feel its right to have his family at the legal bit, where they are dressed up and it is treated as important as the saturday. i am thinking we will wake up on the saturday and his family will have the mindset that saturday isnt as important as they whitnessed us get legalised on friday so technically we are already married. i feel like it will take the importance away from it as they saw it all. if they dont come to the legal bit then everyone will just look forward to one big day on saturday because they werent there for the friday as it is just a legality.

the problem is my fiance is having none of it and really wants his family at the legal bit on Friday and knowing his mum and dad and sis they will make a big deal of it and go our for dinner afterwards etc. is it just me or does anyone agree our bridal party should just be privvy to our big day on the saturday.

hope all the above makes sense, please reply with your views and thoughts x

4 replies

Latest activity by Paula @ Ollievision, 23 of June of 2014 at 15:06
  • H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

It is a tricky one, we had a similar situation ourselves. I wanted to go to the registry office the day before because I really wanted a Humanist Officiant to do the service. However, OH had a change of heart because his Dad really wanted to be there for the official bit, and once one relative wants to show up, it snowballs from there... I have decided to compromise and have a registrar do the ceremony on the actual day instead.

I know you don't want his family at the legal bit, and I totally get that. I argued that the wedding day was about the promises you make to each other and declaring your love to each other, and the legal bit was just the 'compulsory eyes-of-the-law-bit'. When our son was born, everyone was around, we celebrated etc. but no-one was interested in coming along when it came to registering his birth so he was legally recognized as being a member of the population on our planet... yet with the wedding, it all changes!!!

I know you have no choice with having a registrar on your big day, so obviously I have nothing to offer in the way of advice on that bit.

This is clearly very very important to your OH, and all I can say is that you will just have to compromise and allow his parents and sister to come along. In turn, you can suggest that he will have to compromise on:

-no dressing up

-no music

-no rings

-no special readings/vows

to keep it all as plain, quick and simple as possible. After the signing of the register, suggest that you all go your seperate ways and get on with any last min wedding day prep. If it comes to it, maybe a simple, informal pub lunch with all of those involved afterwards may be enough to suffice. Enhance the importance to everyone that the legal but is to be kept low key and you really don't want any fuss about it all.

Don't worry about it taking away from your Saturday, after all, you will have all of the other guests and your family there seeing it all for the first time, and no doubt the atmosphere of excitement, anticipation and amazement of your day will rub off on his parents. HTH and all the best.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content

I think I'd switch the registry office bit to the Monday afterwards.

That way, you get what you want - the Saturday is the big event that everyone focuses on, as it comes first.

Then your OH gets what he wants - the Monday after let him bring as many family as he wants to the registry office to make it 'official', but you're not put out as you've already had your day. Also, it would probably help you keep your wedding 'high' that much longer, looking forward to the registry office on Monday.

Wouldn't that solve the issue?

I bet a Monday morning isn't too popular for weddings, so the registry office is bound to have slots available, even at this late stage....

• emjjarvy
    Beginner September 2014
    emjjarvy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hello

I am in a very similar situation, although we are having the legal ceremony in the UK as we cannot legally get married in France (where our wedding is). I was of the mindset that we get 2 people off the street to be our witnesses for the legal part and that would be that. To us it is just a paperwork exercise, like giving notice to marry.

However, MIL to be was adamant she wanted to be at the legal ceremony. I have agreed - it is her son getting married and if it means a lot for her to be there then I feel like I shouldn't stand in the way of that.

For the legal ceremony we have booked we are only allowed 2 witnesses. Have you booked the Friday ceremony yet? Our registry office only offer the 'standard' 2 witness ceremony on a Mon, tues or thurs morning at 9.45! So we have opted for a Monday in July when his parents are visiting (as they live in France) otherwise it would have meant another trip over to the UK for a 10 minute ceremony. Our actual wedding is in September. We might go for some brunch after but that will be about it.

We wont be getting dressed up, exchanging rings and will be walking in together. However, my OH is in the same mindset as me, and does not want to mark the occasion or celebrate - as to us the occasion is not until September. If the legal part meant a lot to my OH and his family I guess I might feel differently, I'm not sure. Maybe just try to keep in mind, his family want to be there to celebrate with you and share the happy occasion.

If his family do want to go for a meal or something afterwards to mark the occasion, could you make it a pre-wedding meal, a bit like a rehearsal dinner type thing rather than celebrating your marriage?

This will not be the case at all - on the day all of your friends and family will be there to witness you say your vows to one another. On the day you wont notice anyone else during the ceremony than your hubby to be - and this is the most important thing.

I know very little about Indian weddings, but I do know my friend attended one last year and it literally went on for days. I do not think having the celebrations spread out over 2 days will make the 2nd day any less special for you both. I seem to have rambled on here and not sure if any of what I have said is helpful!! I am sure you will have an amazing time x

• Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

I think there may be a simple solution to this. Usually, there's a cheap, eg £75 option for this kind of "get the paperwork done" wedding. Those weddings only allow 2 witnesses to be present. I think you need to speak to the register office staff and ensure you have booked this type of service. If you are limited to 2 witnesses then they can be his parents. I think you need to stress you're going in your jeans and then going shopping afterwards, so there's really nothing to "celebrate" on the Friday.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics