Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner July 2016

*poss sens* alcoholicism...

HeavyMetalMaiden, 26 of September of 2014 at 16:01 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

....is that even a word?

I have a collegue who has only been with us for a couple of months, but she kept having meltdowns now and again in work and she just fobbed it off to us as anxiety. As time went on, I would spend more time with her, helping her feel better and just being a shoulder to cry on.

Today, she admitted to me she is an alcoholic. She said she trusted me to tell me (that and I am of a non-judgmental and open-minded nature). This put me in a tricky position as I am her superior and knowing this would my job on the line. However she asked me to tell our big boss for her, which I did. Fair play to her for realising her problem and admitting it to us. She got sent home, as under no circumstances can she work under the influence (also with operating heavy machinery is too dangerous).

She is very likely going to lose her job or at least get a suspension. She is a lovely lady who has had a bit of a sh!t hand dealt to her in life. But I for one believes she can get better.

So.... I feel a bit useless. I am still there for her outside of work... But how do I handle this? She has no-one (apart from her 11 year old who has no idea). Is there anything I could do? She is seeing a counsellor at the moment. Or is it just a case of just being there for her? Any words of wisdom?

9 replies

Latest activity by Erin8, 28 of September of 2014 at 22:11
  • *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I've no real advice other than carry on being there for her in any way you can. If she has no one then she'll no doubt be very grateful for your support.

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Is she in AA or Al-Anon? She really needs to be in a program. If not, I would encourage her to join one, but you can't do a lot more. You could offer to meet her before or after meetings for moral support if poss, but you can't usually go in with her.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Nah she is not a part of a group. She does need serious help though, this is really affecting her life. I will look into local groups though for her :-)

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

It would be a shame if she lost her job, she has done the right thing and admitted she has an issue. A responsible company should support her through any sort or detox programme she chooses to go on.

Keep doing what you are doing to help her, if she has a child is it possible that she is known to social services?

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I don't see how they can get rid of her. If she is not under the influence or recently been under the influence before going to work then how is it an issue?

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

As far as I have always been led to believe, if an employee admits an addiction and asks for help then they cannot be fired. They can be sspended from duties (on SSP if that is the norm) while they recover, but I'm almost positive that it is illegal to dismiss them completely in this circumstance.

• jen-lou
    Super July 2016
    jen-lou ·
    • Hide content

It's a tricky one as people can still be "functioning" alcholics, and by that I mean hold a job and a relatively normal seeming life, that is until they ask for help. My brother is an alcoholic, he had a good job, but unfortunately, when he admitted he had a problem he was managed out of his job, he was glad of this as he didn't particularly like the job bit he had been there for years. My advice, just be there and listen if she wants to talk, she will need to go into a programme to determine the best possible way for her to dry out, and possibly be given medication to help her during this process. You can get this through the NHS, there maybe a waiting list in your area, but to sound cliche, she can only do it when she's ready, my brother admitted it at least 10 years ago, and it is only now he has managed to stay sober . There are a number of reasons he sobriety didn't last in the past, but it's not the time nor the place to air them. Just being there so she doesn't feel alone, knowing there's someone in her corner so to speak, will make more of an impact on her than you think.

(sorry for the essay guys)

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

She is under the influence during every shift. She admitted this. She even told me where she hid her drink, and how often she would sneak off for one. This explained her random melt downs and emotional wobbles, especially later in the day... Some days she wouldnt turn up at all.

From a business point of view, every shift she would come in to do, she would be sent home straight away. Which is counter-productive for any business and for herself. Yes a suspension would be a possibility , but a couple weeks off is nowhere near enough time for her to be able to come into work sober. She and I agreed that she needs a hell of a lot longer, proper rehabilitation.

Mini, regarding social services, theh took her child away from her when they were 8 for almost a year, due to this problem, and she a complete breakdown

She managed to get him back, but obviously, she fears it wi happen again. Her child lives with their dad during the week, and spends the weekends with her.

Unfortunately with her new found honesty, she also got instantly fired at her other job, which sucks. I dont want her to lose her job but I had to prepare her for the worst. Who knows what could happen on Monday. If the worst happens then she can always reapply once she is better. That option is still there, as she had great potential.

Thanks everyone, I know there probably wasant much else I could do, I better give her a ring today and see how she is.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Mellow-yellow - thanks, I will check into those legalities, trouble is I think she is still in her 3 month probation period... Towards the end of it at least...

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oh right, that is quite different. It is gross misconduct at most places l am guessing. By the sounds of it then she isn't really well enough to work. It sounds like it wouldn't be fair on her or any of you guys working with her. Her getting better is going to take a long time. It is tough, my Dad was an alcoholic and it is hard to completely recover.

I have a work colleague who has been off ill on and off for a long time. He has personality disorder and tried to kill himself last year. He has depression and alcoholism which are side effects of the personality disorder l am sure. But as far as l am aware he never drank at work or close to a shift start time. The company l work for have helped him a lot with time off, annual leave, counselling etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics