Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

How to play this...?

1 of April of 2014 at 21:40 Posted on Planning 0 6

Sorry its a long one! :-/

Just before Christmas, my OH and I picked my LeVian engagement ring from Ernest Jones. We chose it on the day there was a 20% off deal - bonus. At the time, I was shown a stunning 'matching' wedding band. We were told we would get a further 10% off if we brought them together.

I loved the design of the band, but it didn't fit snuggly against the ER, but I was told by sales staff that it would sit right when it was in my size. So feeling like we couldn't pass the bargain up, we paid for the ER and a deposit for the band. I was told at this point that if it didn't fit right, they would honour the discount in any other ring, but assured my it would be fine.

Roll on 2 months, and it was shipped over from America. I went and tried the band next to my ER and it just doesnt fit right.

I have looked in their store and no other ring fits either (its a funny shape). So I asked Ernest Jones to contact Levian, asking if they had one anywhere in the world that would fit against it. No is the answer. Today I got a phone call to say they would make one to order, but it would cost close to £1000 (£400 more than the initial wedding band). They also said they won't honour the 30% discount because its not a 'store ring' and the till won't allow the transaction to clear (feeling very suspicious about this at least)..

Anyway, I'm asking what would you do? I will pay for it if they give me the discount, but even that is stretching my budget. I feel like Im stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Whatever happens I will need a ring made to measure. In all honesty I probably wouldn't have brought the ER if I had known I couldn't get a matching band from them.

Do you think I have a case for insisting on the discount?

6 replies

Latest activity by DrBuffles, 2 of April of 2014 at 14:05
  • slou90
    Beginner April 2014
    slou90 ·
    • Hide content

I have just double read this to make sure but did they say they would honour the discount on any ring ? Or did it have to be in store . Has the ring been made to fit for you? Could you get your deposit back and go to a jeweller and have a ring made for you especially?

im just throwing thoughts around here sorry if it's no help x

• A
    Beginner July 2014
    Aykay ·
    • Hide content

Did they put anything about the offer in writing? Im sorry I dont know much about your rights on this but a company called alba rose is fantastic for rings....their custom made ones are cheaper than most store ones as they have their own workshop. They will also take a cast of your engagement ring to ensure an exact match. They are in essex but have an online shop too. Really hope you get it sorted. X

• MischiefMumma
    Beginner August 2014
    MischiefMumma ·
    • Hide content

Hi DPM2B. I dont know why they told you it would fit, the groove in the WB is clearly not deep enough to fit around the stone of the ER with it sitting snug as youd expect. If I were you I'd ask to see some sort of policy wording with regards to the transferral of deposits specifically to rings instore and if they havent got anything well then theres your answer. I'd ask for a 10% refund of what you paid for on your ER and your deposit back. They're clearly trying to mug you off.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

I'd go elsewhere and get one designed in that style but that fits snugly to your ER.

My experience is independent jewellers are much cheaper than big chains. We have saved over £300 going local on our two rings combined and they are made to order.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics