Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner April 2011

My wedding ring has arrived - Gutted Please help! ******FLASH****

Pollyjean35, 26 of March of 2011 at 16:50 Posted on Planning 0 21

I collected my wedding ring today, a local jeweller was putting the diamonds form my grandmothers wedding band into a platinum band for me. He advised me to get a flat band so that it would take the diamonds and I stupidly didnt try it on before ordering.

I dont think the band itself goes with the shape of my engagement ring and to make matters worse I hate the way the diamonds have been drilled and think the ring is sooo old fashioned! I hate it, I have spent all afternoon in tears!!

My OH has suggested just wearing the diamonds underneath as they were only really put in for sentiment, i think it looks better but what a waste and it seems silly wearing diamonds that cant be seen!

I dont know what to do, im going to take it to a jeweller on Monday and see if they can do anything but I have no idea about these things and whether they would be able to re-set the diamonds a different way etc.

Please give me your honest opinions on the ring and any suggestions would be hugely appreciated!! My wedding is in two weeks!!! ☹️

21 replies

Latest activity by Pollyjean35, 2 of April of 2011 at 10:22
  • GemmaLouise1986
    Beginner
    GemmaLouise1986 ·
    • Hide content

It's not as bad as I was expecting from your post!

I know what you mean though, I had this problem as my ER has a rounded band like yours and all the diamond WRs seemed to be flat. I didn't like it as they don't look like a pair.

Can you not maybe go back and explain you're not happy?

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content

I really dont want to keep the ring, I hate it and cant imagine wearing it forever! I will lose so much money just getting rid of it though, would I be able to melt the band and have another one shaped from this?

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, so sorry to hear you are not happy with the ring.

First thing you should do is go back to the jeweller who set the diamonds for you and tell him you are unhappy, he may be able to suggest doing something alternative in the short space of time you have before the wedding.

From my personal point of view, looking at your photo you needed a slightly shaped wedding ring to sit around your solitaire and a band that is much smaller width to the one you have, the jeweller could make a small shape in the current band for you and I think this would look a lot nicer. I think the band width and the diamonds look too big against your solitaire.

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content

I have had nothing but trouble with the jeweller since I ordered the ring and so I really dont want to go back to him. I think my only option is to go to someone who actually knows what they are doing and start again!

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

So sorry to hear that. Ask family and friends for a recommended jeweller in your area who you can go to and trust. Dont despair, I'm sure something can be done for you Smiley smile

Good luck.

• leni-lw!
    Beginner November 2011
    leni-lw! ·
    • Hide content

Would he charge you again for re-doing the ring? would a ''d' band ng have suited your ER slighty better? im toally clueless when it comes to these things- if it comes to the crunch-could u ot get married with it and then sort it out after??

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i think its a D shape that i need!!

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I see what you mean..

Are the diamonds different sizes too? They don't seem very even and look a bit too big for the ring, even though the band is quite chunky too. I know they're very sentimental but have you thought about just using one or two instead? (And keeping the others for another piece of jewellery maybe?)
    I just think it takes the emphasis off your Engagement ring, which is a shame. Or a plain band with one of the diamonds set inside - Like this -

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Bridebrat thats a fantastic idea, thank you!!!!! My mum has called a jeweller who have been really helpful and have said they will buy the platinum back from me and take the diamonds out. That means I can just buy a plain band from them which will suit the ring better and im sure they will be able to set one of the smaller diamonds inside for me!! Im going to visit them tomorrow so I will take this pic with me!

Your right about the ring tho, the diamonds are too big although they may have looked a bit better if he has spaced them out how I had asked them. Close up they are squint and there are quite a few scratches around where they have been set! My Dad is going to pay the jeweller a visit on Monday and see if we can get some money back!

I feel much better having seen read your post as having my grans diamonds in the ring is really really important to me!! Thank you so much!! xxxx

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

Yay, glad you're feeling more positive! I'm sure it wont cost you too much extra either as the jeweller will buy back the platinum. The diamond being inside will be even closer to you too, so that little bit more special without taking away the blinginess of your engagement ring.

I have my Mum's Eternity Ring which is quite special as it's something that was a joint thing between Mum and Dad (They're divorced now and it was very bitter!) but the ring isn't my style, I'm tempted to use the diamonds from all the way around it for an eternity ring in the future - Will save H2B alot of money too lol. A nice family heirloom.

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I definately am, feeling better thanks again for responding to my post!!! Im hoping I wont lose too much on the ring but I dont mind paying more just to get it sorted and have a ring that I love!! I love the idea of the diamond on the inside I just wish I had thought of it before!!!

I think that sounds lovely, you should definately do it just dont make the same mistake as I did and go to someone crap!!! :-) x

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I struggled to find a band EXACTLY the same as my ER. I just didn't want the band to be shaped differently at all and my ER is half court / half d shape. The diamonds in your ring don't even look positioned evenly. I'd be going back for a refund personally and then go elsewhere with your diamonds.

You can see more pics here http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=58682&id=138437779505448. I've got pics of the ER and WR together without the eternity ring if you want to see them. x

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Glad you've got something sorted....I personally would have a narrower band as I think it looks too wide for your engagement ring, and I'd look at having one made to fit around your solitaire. You could incorporate the diamonds into an eternity ring for later on so that you can still wear them and as BB has said, maybe just have the one set into your wedding band. Or you could have them made into simple studs if you have pierced ears

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

How did you get on today, any news?

• septemberbride2011
    Beginner August 2011
    septemberbride2011 ·
    • Hide content

Such a lovely idea to use your grandmothers jewellry, I wish I could've done that. I think that as you have such a mega rock of an engagement ring that you'd need something small and simple and def agree about having a diamond on the inside, could even have it inscribed. Could turn the other diamonds either into studs or put into a necklace or bracelet to wear on your wedding day. Fingers crossed your dad can sort the jeweller out for you xx

ps your engagement ring (rock!) is gorgeous xx

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Fleur, not good! I took it to another jeweller who offered me £140 for the ring according to him its just scrap metal. I paid £650 for it. The cost of a new wedding band is going to be £595 to get something that looks good with my engagement ring. One week before our wedding we just dont have that type of cash! Im considering buying something from an online jeweller on ebay but worried I will end up with another problem. Also the diamonds from my Gran's ring are too big to be set inside a plain band so im going to have to keep them for something else, perhaps an eternity ring.......

Anyway I took the ring into two jewellers yesterday and they both told me that it was a shoddy job and that the diamonds were off and hadnt been set straight. My Dad has called the jeweller and he wasnt in the shop so he spoke to his son and told him we were not happy and that the ring is not up to standard and we want a refund. My Dad is now waiting for the owner of the shop to call him back today so im hoping we will have some news soon. However I doubt very much he will give me my money back!! :-(

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Oh dear, thats the only thing when you buy jewellery and then try and sell it on, unless its antique a jeweller will offer you peanuts, even though you just paid a lot more for it!!

I really hope your Dad is able to get something out of the jeweller who made the ring for you, just a question, did the jeweller draw a sketch of how it was going to look and plan the style with you ,did he take a mould of your ER to make sure it would sit against it nicely or did you just leave it up to him? if it was the latter he may stand his ground and say thats what you wanted, I'd be interested to hear his reasoning on this. If you cannot get any joy out of him keep the WR and after your wedding have the diamonds from your Nan made into something else lovely for you to wear, a pendant and set of earrings would be beautiful as they are quite large diamonds.

As for now, If I were you I would go pick up a nice dainty 2mm palladium band that will go better with your ER, you still have time to order one online as long as its in stock or pick one up from a jeweller. Try some antique jewellers if you have any close by, they often have lovely one off pieces and they will resize them there and then for you, you never know, you may even find one slightly shaped to go more with your ER or they can always take a peice out of a wedding band for you.

Good luck Smiley smile

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No unfortunately he didnt do any drawings, I just showed him what I wanted. He hasnt spaced the diamonds out the way I asked but that will be my word against his, however, there is no disputing the diamonds are uneven so on that basis I am hoping he will at least offer to do something for me.

In the meantime Im going to get something online, my dad has kindly offered to pay for it but I will just stick it on the Visa and deal with it when we get back from honeymoon. Good idea on the antique jewellers there are a few near where I work so I guess that is where I will be spending my lunchtime! :-) x

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Good to see you are feeling a bit more positive, good luck at lunchtime, let us know how you get on ?

Keep your chin up, perhaps there is a lovely ring out there waiting for you and something else was meant for your nans diamonds.

• Fleur10
    Beginner June 2011
    Fleur10 ·
    • Hide content

Bump... any news Pollyjean?

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hey Fleur! The jeweller has been really unhelpful and is arguing that he thinks the ring is fine! He says the diamonds are uneven because they are different sizes but two jewellers have told me that isnt the case. Even so he didnt do what I asked in terms of the spacing but again he is arguing he dis. He gave me three options, 1 - replace one of the diamonds to get it looking straight at my expense, 2 - add two additional diamonds to make it look better again at my expense or 3 - pick the ring up!

I told him my fiance would be in to pick up the ring and he hadnt heard the last of it, when my fiance went into the shop he wasnt there and it seems he is avoiding us at all costs! I have taken it up with trading standards and im going to take it further, im also going to make sure I do as many online reviews about his service as i can!

I have ordered a plain wedding band from ebay which should be here on Tuesday so im keeping everything crossed!!! xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics