• Manage your budget plan icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your budget plan icon You are currently on budget !

My budget: 10000

My Cost so far: 7,800

Create a free budget plan to organise your finances!

• Manage your budget
    • Keep track of your spending
    bottom arrow icon
    Manage my Budget
  • Manage your to-do list icon
    Budget close icon
    Manage your to-do list icon You have 0 outstanding tasks!
    Tasks Complete: 32 Tasks Outstanding: 0

Create a free personalised to-do list to help make your planning easy and fun!

• Free step-by-step plan and time-line
    • Fun and manageable task list
    Manage my To-Do List Bottom arrow icon
  • New competitions to enter icon
    Budget close icon
    You have not entered any competitions

Make sure you check back regularly as we are always adding new competitions.

View Competitions Page Bottom arrow icon
hide
down arrow icon

How best to use birth ball to get baby engaged?

MarineGirl
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)
Sort Posts:
  • How best to use birth ball to get baby engaged?

Since this baby has decided to engage, even if only slightly I want to do everything I can to encourage her further in and hopefully on her way out! Laugh Which is the best way to use a birth ball to encourage engagement, to bounce? To rock? To roll?

Help please!

Locked Contact
  • Re: How best to use birth ball to get baby engaged?

sorry to hijack but I meant to ask and your thread prompted me, is a birth ball the same as a gym ball or could a gym ball be used as a birth ball?

Countdown

Locked Contact

Pink Han-bag:

sorry to hijack but I meant to ask and your thread prompted me, is a birth ball the same as a gym ball or could a gym ball be used as a birth ball?

According to my midwife, yes - she actively encouraged our antenatal class to buy the ones which were on sale in Sainsburys at about £2.50 each.

I'm also interested to hear people's suggestions to LMS's question - also in case anyone happens to know any magic ways of using the ball to get labour started that would be fab too.

Locked Contact

cheers! I believe my step sister has one so I may have to 'borrow' it Laugh

Countdown

Locked Contact

Hi there

I'm not sure if this is definatly the correct way but 1 week before my due date I wanted out so I sat and watched tv on my birthing ball bouncing gently for 2 hours.  At 1am I had a show, 6.30am I had my first harsh contraction at 7.45 I was rushing to the birthing centre to find I was 7cm dilated and my little angel was born at 12.17 just in time for lunch being served lol.

I am adament that it was the bouncing on the ball that got things moving for me but we will never know, maybe my angel was just ready to make an appearance.

Good luck

xx

Locked Contact

O forgot to say I didnt bounce for the whole two hours, I sort of shifted my hips back and forwards every now and again too.

xx

Locked Contact

Bouncing will help, but so will anything that allows the baby space to move (because they do generally try to get themselves into pole position!) and opens the pelvis.

In late pregnancy, there's very little space.  If you get on your hands and knees, them drape your arms over your ball, leaning onto it, and relaxing so your stomach hangs down, that will maximise space for the baby to shift around.

To open your pelvis as much as possible, rocking on the ball is good.  This is tricky to describe, bear with me!  Sit on the ball, feet slightly apart flat on floor. Relax. Try to rock your pelvis forwards, but keep your back straight - it's just the pelvis you want to move.  Gently rock forwards and backwards.  It helps to relieve aches, and as I say it opens the pelvis giving baby space to move down.

Personally, I think a bit of visualisation whilst you're on the ball, and asking your baby to get in position can help. <hippy Laugh>

I did lots of the above for the final month, and went in 8cm dilated, with a baby lined up and ready to go... mostly luck maybe, but I'm sure the birthing ball didn't do any harm!

Locked Contact
Return to: Baby Talk
Page 1 of 1 (7 items)