Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Loopy
Beginner October 2005

What's the CSE/O Level equivalent to A-C GCSE

Loopy, 10 of February of 2009 at 13:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 11

Scuse the spelling. Hubby is applying for a job which asks for GCSC A-C maths and english - what is the equivalent in old money - o level/CSE? He's 41 and GCSCs came in in 1988 so after he left school.

Many thanks

Loopy

11 replies

Latest activity by Frankie Stein, 10 of February of 2009 at 22:00
  • princess layabout
    Beginner October 2007
    princess layabout ·
    • Hide content

O level passes, pretty much.

• Loopy
    Beginner October 2005
    Loopy ·
    • Hide content

Whats a pass though? - his is a figure he reckons, it's been over 20 years since he's had to apply for a job. He's just been made redundant.

• maxiemax
    maxiemax ·
    • Hide content

I got O levels <insert old fogey icon> and they were letters ie A/B/C etc like GCSEs. I seem to recall that CSEs were numbers and a grade 1 was equivalent to a pass at O level but any other grade was not. Not sure if that would still apply though.....

edited to add, that A, B and C were passes in O level.

• K
    Beginner May 2007
    Kegsey ·
    • Hide content

O levels were graded A-E (was it just grades A-C which were passes?) and CSEs graded 1-6 (I think 6 anyway). CSE grade 1 was the equivalent of a GCE pass. So an O level pass or a CSE grade 1 would be equivalent to a GCSE pass.

Are they really insisting on an O level/GCSE pass when he has 20 years experience?

• K
    Beginner May 2007
    Kegsey ·
    • Hide content

According to Wiki, GCEs used to be graded by number https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCSE. At 41 your H isn't much older than me (would be the same year or just one year above) and my GCE grades are definitely letters.

• Loopy
    Beginner October 2005
    Loopy ·
    • Hide content

Thank you. He's worked in the same factory most of his adult life, he's applying for a custodian job here at the county council where I work, for some odd reason a custodian needs a-c in English & maths - looney if you ask me but hey ho.

• princess layabout
    Beginner October 2007
    princess layabout ·
    • Hide content

Probably A-C in O level.

[sits back and waits for someone to post about how GCSEs are all sh1t and really easy]

• H
    Beginner
    Headless Lois ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They ARE easy. Well, they were when I took them, perhaps they've made them harder.

Anyway, are they genuinely likely to check? Is that the sort of thing employer's do. Because if I could't remember something like that, I'd lie. Probably a good idea I work for myself then

L
    xx

• kierenthecommunity
    Beginner May 2005
    kierenthecommunity ·
    • Hide content

From what i remember, being in the first year to take them [old fart icon] GCE a-c was equivilant to GCSE a-c, the cse 1-4 was equivilant to GCSE d-g

there were no a stars in my day ?

• jules cat girl
    Beginner January 2004
    jules cat girl ·
    • Hide content

CSE grade 1 is equivilant to a "c" grade. I was second year to take GCSE's and thought i remembered correctly. it's all on here (Scroll down)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GCSE

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

When I did my exams...many many years ago, there were several different examination boards and each used a different numerical or letter system. Each was a different level too(although still deemed O level)....I recall that my schools wouldn't put some pupils through O level maths and sent them to a local college to take it as they used an "easier" examination board. Incredibly, when they returned, several of us were able to do the exam questions in or heads......a bit different to the board we were given although the qualification was the same....

Laterly these discrepancies have been ironed out....unless any teachers here know any different....

• Frankie Stein
    Beginner July 2008
    Frankie Stein ·
    • Hide content

JCG is right

When we recruit in work we ask for 5 GCSEs A - C or equivalent. When shortlisting we use the following:

O Level grades are the same as current GCSE grades

CSE Grade 1 is equivalent to a GCSE grade C

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics