Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Flowmojo
Beginner

What does 'smart casual' mean to you?

Flowmojo, 28 of August of 2012 at 11:24 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 10

Mainly for men? Whats the 'line' with smart casual? polo shirts? i guess smart jeans are ok..

For women, would you wear a dressy dress or a daytime tea dress for smart casual? is it event dependant?

10 replies

Latest activity by Mellow_Yellow, 28 of August of 2012 at 16:15
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Men: smart jeans, open collar shirt, no white trainers

Girls: I think generally girls dress 'smart-casual' anyway but what I'd wear would be event dependent. A pretty daytime dress more than likely.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

Smart casual to me has always been no denim.

• Missus S
    Missus S ·
    • Hide content

For men, relaxed night out attire- nice jeans, smart polo top or open shirt.

Girls I'd say more smart daytime. Pretty dress, tailored shorts or nice trousers, maybe even a nice pair of skinnys, and a pretty top

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

Smart (usually dark) jeans, no sportswear, branded trainers, tshirts or polo shirts by the likes of Nike etc.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

It probably depends what the 'smart casual' event was.

If it was a relaxed affair, Ozzy boy would probably wear jeans and a open-collared shirt. Probably with the sleeves rucked-up (he always does this!)

If it was a bit more formal, I would try and persuade him to wear chino-type trousers over jeans, and a slightly smarter shirt with the sleeves down, but still no tie and open collar. Never white trainers, probably his brown shoes.

For me, again depending on what it was. Either a sundress or maxi for a day thing, or a cocktail/party type dress for an evening.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

At the "lowest" level...

Men: smart dark jeans, open-collar shirt in more formal cut/pattern (not lumberjack checks), sleeves up OK, shoes.

Women: smart dark jeans with nice shoes, nice "going out" top, little cardi, bag/earrings.

Anything over and above this fine but never a tie and never a prom dress!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

No trainers, tracksuits or hoodies. Or vests.

• Vanilla Pod
    Beginner September 2011
    Vanilla Pod ·
    • Hide content

Smart jeans or chinos, short sleeved/rolled up sleeves shirt, no trainers.

Girls- I would wear either a day dress or nice skinnies, dressy/slinky top and heels/wedges. Hair done, nice make up but not going out make up and jewellery.

• Tizzie
    Beginner June 2012
    Tizzie ·
    • Hide content

That's the worst thing someone could say to me!! My H says smart casual constantly. Id wear a smart dress, flats and a cardi or something. Not a LBD and not leggings somewhere in the middle.

My H would normally wear smart shoes, plain dark jeans and a smart shirt. If it was a bit more on the smart side he would wear suit trousers.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

See, for men, I view smart casual as smart denims (dark) and a non-work shirt.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics