What do you call a "buy your own drinks" bar?

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:07

Re: What do you call a "buy your own drinks" bar?

When we have Ball invites they usually word it as a Cash bar (even though they accept cards too).

I'd be tempted to use the term cash and then include information re: Cards / tabs etc on your website?

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:07

My first thought was a 'pay bar' as its not a 'free bar' and its not a 'cash bar' as they take cards....I think they'll understand what you mean if you put 'pay bar'.

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:13

My first thought was "there will be a cash bar, cards also accepted"...

I never go to a wedding without cash!!

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:16

As the bar takes both cash and cards I'd be inclined to ignore the faff over what to call the bar all together. Why not find out costs and say something like

'Whilst we are providing soft drinks, the bar will be open from X o'clock. Glasses of wine start from £XX and a pint of larger is £X. Both cash and cards are accepted'. 

This way it highlights that people will have to pay their own and it'll also help with budgeting. As a guest, I'd like to know how far my 'spends' will go!  Some venues are far more pricey than others and this way no one will have a nasty shock when paying for a round of drinks. 

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:21

If I'm honest, the bit about 'we hope you'll understand our reasons for' strikes me as a bit wanky. If you don't want to serve booze, you don't have to. What you'd said sounds very apologetic and would make me think that there was some underlying unpleasant reason, rather than it just being personal choice. 

Just my tuppence worth, though. 

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:24

Cricket bride:

If I'm honest, the bit about 'we hope you'll understand our reasons for' strikes me as a bit wanky.  

PAAAHAHAHA this cracked me up! I say Wanky all the time hahahahaha

And for the record - I agree with this sentiment..it does sound a bit wanky...lol

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:26

AJ, i'd be inclined to focus mainly on the up beat message of it all (your note sounds a tiny bit "business like")

you've covered yourself with the "buy something stronger" and let them know the soft drinks are free too! most people would expect to buy their own drinks including soft drinks anyway, so your offering of free soft drinks i am sure will be a welcome gesture....

how about.... As many of you are driving some distance to join us, we have arranged free soft drinks all day for you, but there will be a bar for those of you who would like to buy something stonger to celebrate with us! It accepts cash or you can set up a ‘tab’ if you have a credit card.  Prices are reasonable and generally on par with most public houses

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:27

I agree with the bit about the reasoning. If you don't want to serve alchohol, that's your choice and nothing you should apologise for. I do think it's good to let people know what to expect, though.

I went to a wedding at the end of last year where the bride didn't drink, but the groom did. All day there were only soft drinks at the table and they didn't open the bar until 7pm, by which time most people were gasping for a pint! We didn't even know, though, that the bar would open at 7pm, so we spent all day thinking that we wouldn't have any alchohol to drink.

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:28

Personally I wouldn't even list prices as I think it sounds a bit odd, I'd just go with something along the lines of "we will be providing non alcoholic drinks throughout the day, or for those of you wishing to purchase alcoholic drinks a private bar accepting cash and cards is available."

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:34

ajdown:

I like that one Natalie, just don't know how to cover those that aren't joining us for the wedding breakfast - will they expect to sit in the other hotel bar and be provided with free soft drinks all afternoon?

Or is it kinda understood that you get free drinks only during the bits you've been invited to?

I would be tempted to send two different letters as your situation is unusual. Send the line that Natalie wrote to those invited to the breakfast and reword it for those not invited to say more simply "there will be a cash bar available at the hotel...blah blah"... you get my drift!

• Posted: 3 Mar 2011 14:34

AJ

are you saying that daytime guests will get free drinks ALL DAY AND NIGHT or just during the day? and does that mean that the evening guests will get free soft drinks on the evening too?

I would be inclined to put this note to the day time guests and dont put anything to the evening guests, they will be expecting to buy drinks anyway so dont draw attention to the fact that the day time guests got something they didnt. also i would only do free soft drinks until say 5pm or until the dj/evening entertainment starts. let me know and maybe i can re jig the wording again for you :)

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 12Next >