Gabrielle
Newbie Bride September 2021 Berkshire

Wedding Insurance

Gabrielle, 13 September 2020 at 17:52 Posted on Wedding Planning 2 11
Saved Save

Hello!

I am looking to get some advice on Wedding Insurance. I am recently engaged and hoping to book a venue very soon however I am struggling to find any wedding insurance companies which are providing new policies. Any advice from other brides to be in the same situation?

11 replies

Latest activity by Lucy, yesterday at 17:01
  • Lucy
    Newbie Bride April 2022 Staffordshire
    Lucy ·

Hello, im in the same position too! We have to book our venue by the end of the week or we might loose our date, but I can't get wedding insurance from anywhere.

Going to pay the deposit on credit card I think so then at least if anything goes wrong with the venue we should get money back...

• Gabrielle
    Gabrielle ·
    View quoted message

Hi Lucy,

Yes it's a real struggle, from speaking to the venue they reckon that the insurance companies have got to get all of their lawyers together in order to rewrite their policies but that they will release new policies at some point in the future. In the meantime it seems that paying by credit card is the best we can do for now ..

• Lucy
    Newbie Bride April 2022 Staffordshire
    Lucy ·
    View quoted message

Oh that is a very good point and something that I hadn't thought of. Let's hope that at some point soon new policies will come out. I understand why they've withheld everything for now, but its frustrating for those of us who want to get the ball rolling. I just hope Covid clears up soon so that we can all carry on and celebrate in the way we want! Credit cards does seem to be the only option.

• Gabrielle
    Gabrielle ·
    View quoted message

Yes, fingers crossed. It's very frustrating as venues / future dates are getting booked up so quickly due to all of the postponement from this year so I'm keen to get a date secured but it's not ideal to do so without insurance. Nice to know I'm not alone... let's hope the situation improves soon!

• P
    Newbie Groom June 2020 Central London
    PurpleDwarf ·

I imagine insurers stopped offering policies because of the volume of claims and because offering any more policies would have been loss making.

Couples will now want pandemic cover in their insurance policies and i imagine, given the current situation, that's going to cost quite a bit for what were, traditionally, fairly inexpensive insurance policies.

• Gabrielle
    Gabrielle ·
    View quoted message

Yes, I can imagine they have so many claims to go through and going forwards any insurance that does include cover for pandemic will be pretty pricey like you said!

• Charlotte
    Curious Bride February 2022 South East London
    Charlotte ·

Hi Gabrielle,

We got Covermywedding about a month ago. They were the only one available. They specifically exclude Covid-19, but not all pandemics. Our venue has a very good pandemic cancellation policy though.

I am also paying as many things as I can with my credit card. As long as you pay over £100 (even if you pay more by another means) you are covered for the full amount you have paid under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. So I paid £150 of my venue deposit by credit card, and the rest by bank transfer.

• C
    West Sussex
    Chris ·

I strongly recommend finding and getting insurance. There are people out there offering it they're just harder to find as all the common ones are trying to rewrite their contracts so they don't have to pay out in the future.

Paying by card is fine, but claiming the money back via section 75, across multiple suppliers is an exceptionally long, drawn-out process. You'll often need to submit your contractual agreement for each supplier to the card company and if you don't have the money to rebook your wedding right away (i.e. you need it back so you can rebook elsewhere) it could mean delaying your wedding 6 months or more.

I have a flight refund claim that I started in May which is still ongoing.

• Gabrielle
    Gabrielle ·

Hi Chris and Charlotte. Thanks for that - some really helpful information Smiley smile

• PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Savvy Groom January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·

Just to clarify section 75.

Its the goods that have to be over £100 in value and not the amount you pay on the card. So if it costs £300 you can pay £20 on the card and still be covered for the full £300 even if you pay the other £280 via cash.

Watch out if you are using paypal because even though it may be connected to your credit card you are not covered by section 75 as it has involved a 3rd party.

• C
    Bristol
    Chris ·

You won't get insurance that covers Covid. Pay with a credit card. Venues are either going to make a mint next year with re-bookings plus new business, or there's a third wave, and a lot of them will go bust, and it's the only way you will get your money back.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles