Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mummymrs2b
Beginner April 2013

Wedding dress and losing weight? Help..

mummymrs2b, 4 of January of 2012 at 16:21 Posted on Planning 0 13

I want to start looking around for my dress but want to lose quite a bit of weight before the wedding day so what do you do about dress size and ordering it? I was told to try to go for one that laces up then up can pull it in, but somebody else yesterday said they only pull in one size less? Sorry I'm clueless with it all. Xx

13 replies

Latest activity by Red Baroness, 5 of January of 2012 at 16:20
  • quackers
    Beginner August 2013
    quackers ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same boat so I am going to go dress shopping but not order till this time next year hope get most shifted by then!

xx

• M
    Beginner May 2012
    mrsjw2be ·
    • Hide content

Hi

i was in the same situation, where i have ordered from would only order one size down, and it is a lace up as well so it can be pulled in more, but i know that it will have to be altered which they said they can alter it a couple of sizes without loosing the style, it will just depend on the style u pick i think??

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

I'm in the same situation, lost about 1.5st before going wedding dress shopping and would love to lose about the same before the wedding. I told the lady in the shop this and she suggested that I order the dress in my current size as it can be taken in 2 sizes easily.

Also, the last place I tend to lose weight is my boobs so she said that was another good reason for ordering it in my current size so it would definitely fit them.

She said she's had many brides order a dress in a smaller size and not be able to do it up when it arrives in which is a much worse feeling than the dress being a bit too big.

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

If it helps my dress shop told me to order in the current size and if I lost or put on they can take in by up to 4 sizes and let out by around 2-3 (mine is lace back).

• MrsBtobe1980
    Beginner September 2012
    MrsBtobe1980 ·
    • Hide content

I was also in the same situation, but found my perfect dress whilst loosing weight, lost 1 stone, then ordered it, in a size smaller than i measured, being a 14, had to sign to agree this is what i wanted to do, when the dress arrived i went for a fitting, after loosing yet another stone, and now it fits perfect, with lace back it can be pulled in another size......

• 50's pin up bride
    Beginner July 2012
    50's pin up bride ·
    • Hide content

Similar story - chose the dress as a size 16-18, ordered it in a 16 (which, size wise, is actually comparitive with the high street 14), and intend on being a high street 12 by the wedding. I'm having the zip up back swapped for a lace up (as I think they look nicer anyway) but also so that it can be easily pulled in tighter.

• smiles12
    Beginner
    smiles12 ·
    • Hide content

I was/am in the same position. I want to get rid of a stone and a half before the big day. The way mine worked was that I fell in love with a dress but really didnt want to give a size as just don't know what size I'll be! So I bought the dress, paid for in full etc, but will not be choosing the size until 5-6 months before the wedding. I'm not sure if everyone offers this but it's an option!

• K
    Beginner July 2012
    kittypuss85 ·
    • Hide content

I am in the same boat, I have seen a dress I love, but being a size 22 at the moment I want to be a*at least* a size 16 by the wedding in September!! A lot of hard work to do I know. The dress I've seen is made to order and takes 6 weeks to make and send, then allowing time for alterations afterwards means I need to have lost weight by the end of July.

Here's hoping!

• JulyBride81
    Beginner July 2012
    JulyBride81 ·
    • Hide content

SNAP!!! Except my wedding is end of July Smiley smile I have never been so hungry LOL

• sugarbox
    Beginner December 2012
    sugarbox ·
    • Hide content

I think you can't order too samll.Because you fon't know how many weight you can lose.I think a small one size is ok.

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I bought my dress off the peg and it's a size too small. It does up, because it's lace. But will look so much nicer if I lose weight.

So I HAVE to lose the weight. I've still got 9 months til my wedding though and only need to lose another stone and a bit.*

*I've already lost 2 stone since getting engaged.

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

Glad im not the only one with this worry! Thanks for your replies xx

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

I think wedding dresses can generally be taken in by up to 2 dress sizes, so perhaps order one 2 sizes up from your goal dress size to be on the safe side. I would also talk to someone at the bridal store about it as some styles will be more restrictive in terms of alterations than others.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics