Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner September 2012

Wedding breakfast alternatives

Lucieaew, 24 of February of 2012 at 22:23 Posted on Planning 0 13

Hi,

We aren't having a wedding breakfast, as we need to keep the costs down.

OH likes the idea of having a hog roast, our venue have suggested veggie burgers as an alternative to this for those who dont want the pork.

I dont like the thought of eating a burger in my wedding dress, can any one think of alternatives.

Thanks everyone

13 replies

Latest activity by Flawless Weddings, 26 of February of 2012 at 21:34
  • wishfulwhispers
    Beginner July 2013
    wishfulwhispers ·
    • Hide content

I toyed with the idea of an afternoon tea, little sandwichs, scones, cream, jam and some cakes. couple of chocolate covered strawberrys thrown in for good measure. you pretty much cater yourself then which would keep costs down.

my OH unfortunately insisted he needs a 3 course dinner so that idea went out the window.

• D
    Beginner August 2008
    dimity ·
    • Hide content

I can see that.

Friends of mine do a great veggie BBQ. They always do halloumi, peppers stuffed with mushrooms, goats cheese and couscous, and new potato and veg kebabs. Or it might be easier to move away from the whole roasting concept for the veggies. How about a leek, spring onion and cheese tart? Or similar with mushrooms, parmesan, aubergine, spinach. The advantage of quiches and tarts is they can be served at any temperature and they would go well with the bread rolls and salady stuff.

On a separate note, instead of evening food at ours we bought a few whole cheeses and served with loads of baguettes, crackers and grapes. It seemed quite popular and was one of those things where people can have as much or as little as they like. You could bulk it out with salads and maybe a big ham joint for nonveggies. Also our family got to take home great big wedges of leftover cheese!

• CharleeA
    Beginner April 2013
    CharleeA ·
    • Hide content

We are having pork and stuffing rlls and for the vegetarians we are having ciabattas with goats cheese and tomotoes and caramilsed onion - yummy!x

• greenbean
    Beginner July 2012
    greenbean ·
    • Hide content

We toyed with the idea of having paella - cost effective and quite impressive being cooked in those massive paella pans. I'm a meat eater but i think the veg paella is often more vibrant and exciting than the meat one.

• CharleeA
    Beginner April 2013
    CharleeA ·
    • Hide content

What about mini fish and chips in cones or maybe a cold buffet of pate, cheese, crackers, crusty bread etc?

my mouths watering thinking about it lol! x

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

I really like the idea of afternoon tea. Mini fish and chips/sausage and mash are good too - has those at a work do recently - think the posh word is "bowl food"!

Just an idea but if you did want to have a "proper" wedding breakfast then to keep costs down you could have say just two courses and then have the cake/a sweetie table as the desert? or canapes as the starter.

The quote ph for a hog roast that we got was pretty much the same as for a 3 course meal.

• HayleyMay
    Beginner September 2012
    HayleyMay ·
    • Hide content

I like the idea of a posh bbq instead of a 3 course dinner. But like the above poster, my OH was appalled and demanded a 3 course dinner! Greedy thing.

You could also have canapes during the pictures then lose the starter, have a main course, then your wedding cake for pudding?

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content

We are having fish and chips for our WB. We are not having any canapes or starters. I don't think I could eat that all! The portion of F&C is massive lol.Then we are having a table of home made cakes, scones, trifles, meringues etc!

Bx

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

In the afternoon we're having a tea party with sandwiches and cake and tea and coffee. In the evening we're having a posh bbq with steak, chicken, sausages and salmon, and then breads, potatoes and salads to accompany it.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hiya, hope you don't mind me crashing on this but me and my fella are after having fish and chips also but a few places we have spoke to have turned their noses up at the idea saying that it would be 'impossible' to serve and keep hot fish and chips for 50 people...i am no chef so we just walked away with our tails between our legs Smiley sad lol.

how are you having yours served if you dont mind me asking and for how many??

kj x

• BustyB
    Beginner June 2012
    BustyB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We went to this new modern lovely Fish and chip shop in town. They serve them in boxes (not the plastic type! Made from Cardboard). They have done them for more than we are after (for other events, weddings and old peoples homes), and they are always piping hot.

They will be put straight into the hostess trolley and then served.

You could also try a fish and chip van - we did think of this, but we loved that the place we are getting them from, catch the fish with there own boats and its really fresh! Yummy!

Bx

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks for that, think i need to get some research done where i am to see who can do what!! Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner September 2012
    Lucieaew ·
    • Hide content

Thank you everyone for your suggestions, xx

• Flawless Weddings
    Flawless Weddings ·
    • Hide content

Oooooo i'm actually hungry now after reading all those posts! Just fancy some fish and chips!

I love the idea of a dessert table(shame i'm already married lol).....?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics