Very unhappy baby with white spots on tongue - updated

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 4 May 2009 14:18

Very unhappy baby with white spots on tongue - updated

F has a nasty cold and cough, yesterday (I think, mind is blurry) he started getting very distressed and screaming an awful lot. I assumed he was teething again as he was drooling everywhere and his mouth seemed sore. This continued overnight and again today, I don't think I've seen him so distressed over such a long period Sad He's a lot worse now, not able to feed properly from breast or bottle and can't manage solids properly so I've been spoon feeding smush just to get something into him. I noticed this afternoon he has white spots on his tongue, and a few red spots around his mouth. Could this be a side effect of teething? Or something more? Any ideas?

If he's no better tomorrow it will be straight to the GP's, again!

• Posted: 4 May 2009 14:28

Re: Very unhappy baby with white spots on tongue - any ideas?

urgh, poor F Hug

white spots, or white patches? if the latter, could it be thrush?

• Posted: 4 May 2009 14:28

Is this also a symptom of thrush? I'm sure my mum mentioned something like this about when I was a young baby.

• Posted: 4 May 2009 14:34

It could be thrush or it could be hand foot and mouth disease, neither of which is that serious but obv need treating.  I'd suggest a quick google image search just to see whether symptoms match.  But yes, another trip to the docs for sure. Hope F feels better soon x

• Posted: 4 May 2009 14:35

Definitely raised spots, off to (cautiously) google.

• Posted: 4 May 2009 14:37

Yeah, sounds like maybe thrush.

Poor little boy, hope he feels better soon.

• Posted: 4 May 2009 14:41

if its thrush, you should be able to scratch them off and thye'll bleed a little.  (my gp told me this, but he also told me a LOT of other tripe)

• Posted: 4 May 2009 14:48

white patches - probably thrush

white spots (and red spots around mouth)  - any other symptoms like runny nose, dry cough, high temp, red/congested eyes could be measles. Sebastian was v. poorly with all of the above for 3/4 days, then the measles rash appeared. He was also very distressed and cried ALOT.

I'd go the the GP, it could be an awful lot of things tbh.

Hope he's better soon and its nothing serious X

• Posted: 4 May 2009 14:58

doesn't look  like either thrush or hfm going on google images, although it's hard to get a good look.

Macca, it was only a week or so ago i thought hr might have had measles when he was v poorly and had all over rash. Don't get me started again Tongue Tied He has had all the symptoms you describe though.

I think I'll write tomorrow morning off and get him checked by the doctor Indifferent

• Posted: 4 May 2009 15:15

I really hope its not; it is probably the least likely scenario Hug

hf&m sounds possible too - Elijah had this and his spots were mostly in/around his mouth, he had loads inside his cheeks, but only a couple on his hands and feet. Do they look sort of chicken-poxy? If it is hf&m, its pretty contagious, but fairly mild. E was really only poorly for 24-36 hours, and not even *that* ill.

Hope its nothing major, sorry if I worried you Hug

• Posted: 4 May 2009 15:25

They look like small creamy ulcers really, I suspect the spots around his mouth may be because of all the drool and his dummy. Pretty certain it's not measles, his temps not been very high this time.

No doubt the doctor will tell me it's nothing and I'm just being a 'modern mother' whatever that means!

• Posted: 6 May 2009 21:21

Well, F continued to scream, not sleep and not feed so I took him to the GP yesterday to be told he had a cold and was fine other than that. I left feeling unheard and also miffed as the doctor couldn't use the thermometer (I have the exact same one at home so knew she was doing it wrong) so rather than say she didn't know what she was doing, she lied and told me his temp was 37 and normal. He was roasting hot to touch and had a fever of 39 the whole morning. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

The screaming continued through the rest of the day and night and I was struggling to get any fluid into him so as I felt the previous doctor hadn't been thorough, I arranged to be seen again. Took him thisafternoon and he has a mouth full of tiny sores and ulcers, caused by A Virus. Not much to be done other than apply painkilling gel. On top of that though, he has infections in both ears, poor lamb, no wonder he's been screaming Cry

I'm never going to see the first GP again, she checked both his mouth and ears and said they were fine, even though I'd said I thought he had spots in his mouth. Useless.

Anyway, fingers crossed the antibiotics will kick in soon and the virus will run it's course and I'll have my happy baby back.

• Posted: 6 May 2009 21:25

Poor poor F and Super Angry to numpty GP.  Are yhou going to make a formal complaint?  That's really shocking stuff. 

Hope the anti-bs kick in soon and he starts to mend. Hug  Well done you for going back again.

• Posted: 6 May 2009 21:28

Oh that's horrible J, well done you for going back and trusting your instinct. Boo to crappy Dr. I would definitely make my concerns heard.

You still okay for Sun do you think m'dear?

• Posted: 6 May 2009 21:32

I hope so Madge, can I see how the next few days go and then let you know for definite? He's got AB's and the GP reckons the ulcers should die down from now too so fingers crossed he'll be better. Unless you'd rather we delay incase he's still infectious with anything? I understand if you do x

Return to: Baby Talk
Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 12Next >