Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

(Claire)
Beginner July 2011

Tanning for pale skin pre holiday?

(Claire), 15 of August of 2012 at 12:20 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 18

So I am whiter than white, with red hair and freckles and the sun is my enemy, I mean I love the sun but the closest I get to a tan is having my freckles multiplied in the thousands and I'll burn if I'm lucky! Every time go on holiday I always feel conscious about the fact that I'm so pale so here’s my question, what can I do prior to my holibobs to give me a bit of a sun kissed look? I wouldn't dream of having a spray tan, so please don’t suggest this as an option, I'm musing over a gradual build up tan like dove, but I've never really used it so I wondered if anyone had experience with the gradual tans and how I should prep my skin for the best results? I don't want to be "brown" as such just not white. TIA

18 replies

Latest activity by (Claire), 15 of August of 2012 at 16:01
  • Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

I'm a similar colouring to you and I tried Dove gradual tan and found it a bit streaky on my skin, not a good look!

• Mrs Mack
    Beginner May 2012
    Mrs Mack ·
    • Hide content

I tried a build up moisturiser one too and didn't like it either I'm afraid.

Can I ask why you don't fancy a spray tan? I never ever had one either until before my wedding, I had a few to get used to them before the wedding and absolutely love it now, going for one tomorrow night for a wedding at the weekend actually!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

You look lovely EF! Maybe you're right, and I should just sport the paleness.

Mrs Mack I do have spray tans, I too am having one tomorrow for a friends wedding on Saturday but I can't imagine anything worse than having one before your holiday, spray tans, sea water and chlorine don't mix well.

• Mrs Mack
    Beginner May 2012
    Mrs Mack ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Haha - good point, I thought you had some aversion to spray tans and i was going to tell you how wonderful they are (I'm a pro after 5 or 6 your see haha). Well in that case I would just go pale. I always go on holiday pale - like almost blue I'm so white. If you don't naturally tan you could always book in for a cheeky spray tan when you get back so everyone can commence commenting on your lovely holiday tan! hehe

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Claire, you're blonde! Is red your natural colour? I never knew that.

• SaSaSi
    Beginner July 2012
    SaSaSi ·
    • Hide content

Not very helpful for during the day, the beach etc but what about the like of E45 shimmering gold moisturiser for evening? Wont give you a tan but a nice glow?

https://www.boots.com/en/E45-Silky-Radiance-Body-Lotion-Lightly-Fragranced-250ml_1250001/

You can always dust a bit of bronzer over the top?

I think the gradual ones are only good if you already have a bit of colour ie topping up a fake tan or a real tan.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is exactly what I was going to say!!!!

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ha! I am a fake blonde! ? Although only highlights rather than full head.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

This is the only pic I have on my pc to show you my real hair colour, I was full on ginge!

Im the one on the left.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

You'd never know, you suit blonde hair well! Not obviously covering up the red!

• N
    Beginner January 2008
    niche79 ·
    • Hide content

I have found the St Tropez gradual tan quite good in the past, alternatively I have heard that Laurens Way fake tan is really good.

I am off on holiday next week and have just spent my lunch break on a sunbed to prep my skin so that I dont look freakishly white when I get to Vegas and dont get burnt whilst away so I am very naughty and probably not the best person to advise !

Although I have been told that a short course of sunbeds once a year in prep for a holiday is no worse for your skin than going out and getting burnt in the first few days of a holiday but I dont know how true this is !

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Ahh thanks ATB. I've often considered going back to my roots (singing it in my head) but I just think it would be a little drastic for me.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not if you protect your skin. I couldn't possibly go on a sunbed, not with my colourings. I couldn't be that irresponsible.

I do love the St Tropez tan, so their build up might be worth a shot.

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

The chemicals that cause your skin to tan are the same in fake tan lotions, spray tans and gradual tanners. It's just the proportion of active tanning chemicals to water/moisturiser that changes.

Whether you have a spray tan or a gradual tan, the 'tan' will still behave the same way in chlorine/sea water, and you will still have to moisturise like a mad woman to keep the colour for an entire week.

I woud recommend getting a light spray tan a day or two before you leave, and moisturise daily with a gradual tanner whilst there to keep your skin's moisture levels up and keep your colour too.

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

But would you really risk it with pale skin?

• *Ducky*
    Beginner July 2012
    *Ducky* ·
    • Hide content

I think it will be ok, especially if you get a good exfoliating and moisturing routine on the go for at least a week prior to the tan so your skin is super evenly hydrated. Then ask for a very light tan.

The salon I go to are very good and they offer 3 strengths, a 'light' tan is if you want a hint of colour, for very fair people, a 'medium' tan which they describe as when you want to look healthy for a wedding or christening, and a 'warm' tan for those with medium tones or those wanting a darker tan for a night out.

You could have a trial before you go? And use a gradual tanner after a couple of days too at home, see how things go?

• (Claire)
    Beginner July 2011
    (Claire) ·
    • Hide content

Thanks DB. As I said earlier I'm actually having a spray tan tomorrow for a wedding at the weekend, so I'll apply a gradual tan to it after a few days and see how it looks. Thanks for the advice Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics