Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Switching contraceptives (Yasmin to Microgynon/Rigevidon)

4 of June of 2014 at 12:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 14

I have been taking Yasmin for a long time, around 6/7 years I think. Given the concerns over long-term use I asked my GP today whether I should continue with Yasmin. He said I'm low risk (my bp today was low as usual) but he thought it would be a good idea to try something less strong.

He has prescribed Rigevidon, which I understand is similar to Microgynon. I cannot take progesterone-only because of my hypermobility, but he said this is a combined pill and has similar amounts of imitation oestrogen and progesterone as Yasmin, just with fewer risks.

I started taking Yasmin for acne when I was 19 (before then I was taking dianette for two years), so I'm worried my spots will come back. Has anyone had experience of this when coming off Yasmin?

Also I've had no side effects with Yasmin other than a bit of weight gain and boobage growth (though it might just have been puberty since I started very late!). I have only spotted once and that was when I ran my packs together as I was travelling. I'm worried that switching will cause new side effects like spotting but he said that since I tolerated Dianette and Yasmin so well, it should be ok. Has anyone here experienced side effects with Rigevidon or Microgynon or know what I should look out for?

I still have two months of Yasmin left so I will finish that first, but I'd like to know what I might be getting myself into before I switch. Given my crappy health changes like this make me quite stressed, if that wasn't obvious already!

14 replies

Latest activity by Oliviatery, 8 of August of 2020 at 05:57
  • Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Until very recently I'd been taking Microgynon. I'd been on it 9 years with no side effects. Never had any spotting or put on weight.

I can't tell you how it affected my skin because I've always been quite lucky and had clear skin anyway.

• SallyLou
    Beginner August 2014
    SallyLou ·
    • Hide content

I took Microgynon for 6/7 years (something like that) - it was great, I had no issues at all with it. I was lucky and never had many spots, I didn't gain any weight on it either. I only stopped taking it as I started having migraines with auras so they switched me.

• Red Kite
    Beginner
    Red Kite ·
    • Hide content

I took Microgynon for ages (over 5 years) with no issues. My GP then switched me to Rigevidon, stating that it was the same (butr cheaper). I was concerned as had read a few typical horror stories online but in the end the switch made no difference and I didn't have any skin outbreaks, weight gain or mood swings. Having said all that i then completely came off the pill and felt much better in myself - not a measurable thing I realise. So I'd say it'll probably be fine.

• smilesjp
    Beginner July 2015
    smilesjp ·
    • Hide content

I started off with Microgynon, took it for 3 months and never again. I felt continuously nauseous and was sleeping alllll the time, I then went onto Yasmin, which was great, but also stopped taking it, but this wasn't anything to do with Yasmin. However once I came off Yasmin after a year, I developed terrible acne. I had trouble with spotty skin anyways before Yasmin, and Yasmin cleared it all up, however as soon as I came off I couldn't believe how terrible my skin become. I've just currently finished an 8 week course of antibiotics to get it under control, as well as using an antibiotic gel I have to apply twice a day for another 6 months.

I also stopped taking Yasmin because my GP thought it would be safer to try something less strong, but it wasn't easy. However every girl is different, my friends have been on the same and have had no troubles at all. It's odd.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

Pre baby, I was on Loestrin 20 pretty much for 13 years. Went back on it when S was about 4 months old but a few months ago I started getting a bleed mid pack and no bleed in the break. Went to the doctor and she told me that it had effectively stopped working (eek!) so she put me on Rigevidon which I've been on for a couple of months now and noticed no change in symptoms/side effects.

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content

I have never had any issues with microgynon, l have been taking it for about 16 years.

• M
    myfasa87 ·
    • Hide content

Prior to Yasmin I was on Diane-35, and then I got to know about Yasmin from a doctor I went to, and I was on it for 3 years. I did gain weight but NOT because of the pill just that I was eating a lot as my flatmates were feeding me every night. I wasn't depressed, I really believe this depression thing is all in the mind! But hell did Yasmin really clear my acne problems and I had amazing skin on my face I was so happy. And then the doc told me to try something less risky, she prescribed Rigevidon. Rigevidon also cleared my face although at times I'll have one spot and it will always be a HUGE one for some reason - so embarrassing. I was on Rigevidon for 1 year and then I came off it as I didn't think I'd have sex anymore. My face became horrible again Smiley sad (now this is depression) okay jokes aside. I'm seeing my bf again this December, so I need contraception. Couldn't find my additional boxes of Rigevidon so I went to the doctor here and they only had Microgynon. Researching about it led me here. Today is the first day I'm on the pill. So far so good, I'll wait for like a week or two before seeing changes I suppose.

• *flamingo*
    Beginner June 2014
    *flamingo* ·
    • Hide content

I started off on Yasmin and must have been on it for about a year I think before I switched to Microgynon. I switched just because my doctor had originally mentioned some concerns about blot clots being a higher risk on Yasmin, although not being overweight he said I didn't really have to worry about it but I preferred to change anyway. I've had spots on both yasmin and microgynon but it's not acne and I don't think it's related to the pill (I had them before too), I also haven't had anything else like spotting, weight gain or mood swings on either. I think if you were fine on yasmin you'll probably be fine on microgynon.

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

I was on microgynon for around 6 years and never experienced any negative side effects. Although I swear that it made me really organised and tidy! I came off because of the interactions with my narcolepsy meds but I really miss it and the control it gave me over my periods (I would run packs together quite frequently). I preferred it to any other that I have tried. Good luck with it Smiley smile

• SakuraYuna
    Dedicated November 2016
    SakuraYuna ·
    • Hide content

Just remember everyone is different and there's probably a long list of potential side effects most people won't get. Personally I have tried microgynon and had horrible headaches and on yasmin felt sick all the time and ended up going progestogen only and was fine on that. If it doesn't work out just tell go and they'll keep trying till they find a good match

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

My colleague has switched from Yasmin and she's had issues with spots since changing. Sorry to tell you the bad stuff ☹️

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

I hope i never have to switch pills. I don't think i could handle any of the bad stuff after such a positive experience.

I only started on the pill (cerazette for me) earlier this year for the first time. Luckily for me, it suits me and my skin is no better or worse on it. I've always had hormonal spots around my t-zone anyway. I love the fact that i have no periods although that took me a while to get used to!

• O
    East Central London
    Oliviatery ·
    • Hide content

To eliminate gaps in contraception, physicians should instruct women to switch directly from one pill to another, making sure they do not go a day without a pill.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics