Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

K
Beginner August 2020

Rescheduled wedding to August 15th 2020 and now need to plan a garden wedding - any advice

KateDPlanBWedding, 17 of June of 2020 at 11:37 Posted on Planning 0 22

So the big dream wedding in a gorgeous barn with 100 guests did not happen in April. Plan B is a garden party for 50 at home in August this year and to be honest we're still not sure if it'll go ahead.

But...on the off chance it does, is anyone else organising a garden party? Any top tips? We dont have a massive garden or a big budget but our original caterer is doing the food so all we have to do is is decorating, entertainment and drinks.

22 replies

Latest activity by Wilda, 12 of August of 2020 at 00:07
  • E
    Beginner May 2021
    ExpensiveRedDiamonds46938 ·
    • Hide content

Currently you can only have 6 people from different households in a garden, therefore 50 people in a garden at once is considered a gathering and therefore against the guidance. I only say this because my August wedding has been postponed and we had planned a woodland wedding with a small one side open barn. This venue, still can only allow 6 people from different households afterwards and therefore anymore is deemed against it. The venue could be fined as well as yourselves in the garden.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

Yes venues can be finned but you did say .on the off chance it can go ahead. There is so much about the whole situation that does not make sense, only 6 people from different households in your back garden but if your back garden was a pub from Saturday you could have as many as will fit with social distancing.

Covid aside I think garden wedding receptions are great but one thing you may need to think about are porta loos or - posh loos ( not the blue box). Easy decorating for garden receptions are led fairy lights - the more the better. And planty of gazebos or bigger marques in case it rains.

• K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!!!! Was thinking fairy lights. Looks like I’ll be buying lots of batteries but hope it’s really pretty.

• K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content

Thank you!!!! Was thinking fairy lights. Looks like I’ll be buying lots of batteries but hope it’s really pretty.

• K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content

Yes, if it was now it wouldn’t be possible. As I said, only going ahead if it’s possible and legal in 6 weeks.

• Hide content

Make sure that you get the "rice" fairy lights they are led and come with a stiff wire that you can wind around and shape, the the battery for these also last longer. Buy shorter lengths for around the garden to run on battery and longer lengths near to power to run from a mains adapter from inside the house, usually the string of lights themselves are waterproof but the adapter is not - so keep that inside. The battery pack you can slip into a small parts bag. The upto 3M rice lights can run off button cells, beware when they come with batteries because in my experience they do not last long so get some extra one separately.

Here are some ideas for you.

• K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content

These pics are gorgeous and really inspiring!!!! One of the things we were worried about was how to serve the alcohol and the wheelbarrow is such a great idea. Was wondering about flower pots but we’re not very greenfingered so Borrowing them from family will help make it look fab without leaving us with lots of plants. Thank you!!!

• Hide content

Glad I was a help, I did not want to "over spam" with pictures but here is a couple of other drink serve ideas.

And some more general details and ideas here wedding decorating

• D
    dreampariswedding ·
    • Hide content

A garden wedding is a wedding ceremony/reception which takes place in a garden. Garden ceremonies are perfectly suited to couples who have a great love for the outdoors and the styling opportunities for a garden wedding are endless. While garden weddings naturally have a slightly more relaxed feel, they can still be just as glamorous, creative and stylish as any indoor wedding. You can contact outdoor wedding planner for more perfect results.

• K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content

Thanks! Drinks is something we’re working on so the inspiration is much appreciated. Initially we thought a help yourself bar but want to try and avoid lots of people touching things. It’s tough as with 4-6 hours of drinking lots of pre made cocktails will go flat or watery from ice. Initially wanted to avoid plastic and single use plates and glasses but it’s tough to balance with all the benefits of being able to easily dispose of to reduce risks.

• C
    CatherineLutherWeddingFilms ·
    • Hide content

I'm currently planning a garden party for our wedding next year. We're going to have a solid rainy day contingency plan just in case! We're hiring a marquee but we're also thinking of seeing if friends and family have smaller gazebos they can lend us, just in case it rains all day and you may also want to think about getting hold of a couple of gas heaters too. Even though your wedding is in August, you just never know with the great British weather! Or at least some cheap blankets available in case guests get cold.

For drinks and any food outside of wedding breakfast, we're going to get this from Costco. For flowers, Baby's Breath looks great in jars and is pretty inexpensive from a florist or wholesaler. Check out ebay for garden decorations that previous DIY brides might be selling.

I'm sure it will be lovely Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner September 2020
    RomanticPurpleDiamonds21365 ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is on 5th September and after postponing our reception until next year we are hoping to have a smaller reception in a garden with around 30 friends and family. It's quite ridiculous that I can down to the village pub where around 80 people were in their garden on Saturday but I can only have 6 in the garden we are looking to have our reception even though it will safely hold the 30 people we want there.

The current rules for weddings and receptions are beyond a joke and I can only wish you luck that you will be able to proceed with your plans.

best wishes.

• S
    Beginner August 2021 Hampshire
    Sally ·
    • Hide content

Why don't you hire in fairy lights...may work out cheaper than buying in lots of sets plus batteries? I think if youv'e got a big enough garden then its a lovely idea but you'll deffo need extra toilets, your caterer will need their own space for prep. Also have a think about parking, cloakroom and seating. And a Plan B incase the good old english weather doesn't play ball!

• K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    I think you’re right, plan for rain and cross fingers it doesn’t happen. We’ve bought a marquee from amazon for £200 which we’re hoping will be ok for the day. We figured even if it was sunny it would be handy so no one worried about sun burn!
  • K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    We’ve gone simple with the caterer and have a hog rust company so they’ll set up their stall and he snore to run without needing to be in and out of the house and using the kitchen. We have two toilets so hoping that’s enough ?
  • T
    Beginner August 2021 Cornwall
    Tais ·
    • Hide content

The only thing to take into account is how your dress makes you FEEL. Trust your own judgement and taste, casamentos you are the one wearing it, and will have to look at the photos in years to come, no one else!

• K
    Beginner December 2021 Leicestershire
    Karla ·
    • Hide content

Covid aside I think garden wedding receptions are great but one thing you may need to think about are porta loos or - espaço casamento posh loos ( not the blue box). Easy decorating for garden receptions are led fairy lights

• W
    Beginner August 2021 Leicestershire
    Wilda ·
    • Hide content

I only say this because my August wedding has been postponed and we had planned a woodland wedding with buffet casamento a small one side open barn. This venue, still can only allow 6 people from different households afterwards and therefore anymore is deemed against it.

• K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content
    We’re hoping as we have two toilets inside we should be ok. Plus it means we can more easily clean door handles and anything people rich regularly rather than a row of portaloos. And it means I can justify fancy hand soap lol
  • K
    Beginner August 2020
    KateDPlanBWedding ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    The Govt guidelines from 1st August are 30 people for a wedding reception so I’m not sure why you’re having that problem with the venue.
  • W
    Wilda ·
    • Hide content

I think if youv'e got a big enough garden then its a lovely idea but you'll deffo need extra toilets, your caterer will need their own guia de casamentos space for prep. Also have a think about parking, cloakroom and seating.

• R
    RomanticPinkStationery21248 ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, congratulations on your engagement! I saw your post about wedding planning. I am a wedding coordinator for a hotel but as I am on furlough I have had a lot of time on my hands. I really miss wedding planning and would love to offer my services to you for free just to help you with anything you need ?
  • W
    Wilda ·
    • Hide content

I think if youv'e got a big enough garden buffet casamento são paulo then its a lovely idea but you'll deffo need extra toilets, your caterer will need their own space for prep.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics