Place name cards.... etiquette?

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:13

Place name cards.... etiquette?

We're only having first names on the place name cards, we're also using people's shortened names, names they are more commonly knows as like "Tony" instead of Antony.. etc.  So with that in mind, what do I do with mine and OH's Mum?  

Do I put their real names?  Do I put "Mother of the Bride"?  If I put MOB then will it not seem strange with my step-Dad not having FOB?  It seems strange to me to put my Mums real name.  I don't know what to do really.

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:20

Re: Place name cards.... etiquette?

We had our parents real names. We used nicknames where appropriate for our guest. Only Mr CB and I had anything near a 'formal title' and had Bride & Groom. That was only for a bit of fun though!

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:22

Although we don't have any complicated family structure, I too am torn on how to label parents' place settings. Boy wants "Mam/Dad" (his) and "Mum/Dad" (mine) but that doesn't distinguish Dads. The Mother-of-the-bride etc doesn't fit onto our tags very well, although I completely know this will be what pleases the Mums more (the Dads lass so?). And first names seems wrong, simply because it doesn't distinguish them from other guests. Will likely go with Mother-of-the-bride etc and shrink the font :)

What do you call your step-dad? Dad or his name?

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:24

We used people's names bar some on the top table: Bride, Groom and Mummy T for my Ma (she gave me away and did the speech).

ETA: if we put nicknames on place cards, we had their proper first and surname on the table plan to save confusion.

Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:24

We used people's full names.

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:31

We had full names on the table plan as had a few David's and the likes, but used "known as" names (including nicknames) on the place cards.  Where there were multimple David's on the table they had the first initial of their surname on too.  TBH, it wouldn't have mattered too much, i'm sure they would have worked out which seat to sit on.  And you're not gonna care on the day if they sit the wrong side.

As for parents - it was also known as names, so Mam / Dad for my parents and as he has step-parents it was Mum & Dad and then first names for the step parents as that's what he calls them (so Jane and Fred - he doesn't call them Step-Mum or Step-Dad).  Again, Dad's could work out where they should sit and even if they somehow swapped over, it wouldn't have mattered to me.

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:32

At a good friend's wedding, my name was shortened and my surname initial used. Really annoyed me! If she hadn't have shortened my first name, she wouldn't have needed my surname initial to differentiate me from some of the other guests there.

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:33

Dont know about etiquette but we'll be using full names for guests and for top table it'll be first names only. We'll be bride & groom.

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:37

I think we'll put first names. One of our ushers has the surname Harrison and he's always known as Harry - don't think he'd even recognise his place if we put his real first name down! I think it's all in keeping with the formality of the event. For parents, we'll just put their first names although we'll have trouble with FIL2B who is Anthony, although Tony in work/football/professional life and Anth to his family. I work with him, so never know what to call him!

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:51

WSpanglesS about full names on the table plan. 

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:53

Cricket bride:
    WSpanglesS about full names on the table plan. 

We only have two people with the same name and one of those has a unique nickname so we will use that. Then it's first names all the way.

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:57

Trickers:

We used people's full names.

We did the same, even for our parents. Some nick names seemed a little inappropriate to put on tables though...

Pudding had special names though for our top table members...

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 11:57

ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown:

Although we don't have any complicated family structure, I too am torn on how to label parents' place settings. Boy wants "Mam/Dad" (his) and "Mum/Dad" (mine) but that doesn't distinguish Dads. The Mother-of-the-bride etc doesn't fit onto our tags very well, although I completely know this will be what pleases the Mums more (the Dads lass so?). And first names seems wrong, simply because it doesn't distinguish them from other guests. Will likely go with Mother-of-the-bride etc and shrink the font :)

What do you call your step-dad? Dad or his name?

I call him Tony.  Just seems weird though....  Mother of the Bride and Tony??  Hmmm

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 12:00

For name cards we will just use peoples first names. For me and my OH we will use Mr and Mrs ...... As this will prob be the first time I see my new name wrote down on paper lol!! Its sad i know but i thought it would a bit special to see it at the table on the day.

• Posted: 9 Jun 2011 12:01

NikiST:
    Just seems weird though....  Mother of the Bride and Tony??  Hmmm

And there's no kind of nickname/affectionate diminutive that you use?

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 12Next >