Photographer cancelled 2 weeks before wedding!

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1234Next >
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 28 Jun 2015 2:04

Photographer cancelled 2 weeks before wedding!

Hi all,

I'm new here and looking for advice so hoping you can help please.

I had an email at 11:30pm from my photographer who has said she now cannot attend my wedding as she was just informed a family member would be getting married on the same day as me and has no choice but to cancel my booking.

I paid the full balance for her services in January this year and she has offered me a full refund.

In the contract it states: 

Attendance

In the unlikely event of the assigned Photographer being unable to attend your wedding due to unforeseen circumstances, we reserve the right to appoint another photographer to attend your wedding on our behalf to undertake the wedding photography to his/her best ability.

However, she is not providing us with another photographer and has just left us in the S**t (apologies for the language but I am very upset).

Is there anything we can do legally as she has broken the contract?

Does anyone know of a good photographer in Kent for a decent price?

Thanks so much in advance,
    Leanne

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 5:40

Re: Photographer cancelled 2 weeks before wedding!

First, I am sorry this has happened.  It sucks and I can completely understand that you're angry.  I'd be f***ing furious.

Second, get your cash back asap and a new photographer asap.  Tell your old photographer that in getting the refund that it is not meant as a waiver of her obligations under the contract and that you reserve your rights. 

If the new photographer is more expensive than the old photographer or if you cannot find a new photographer, see a lawyer/CAB after your wedding and have them draft a letter setting out the old photographer's breach of contract and damages.  If it is a nominal amount, you may wish to skip this all together - as it might be a waste of time considering the effort.  

Your first priority is to get a new photographer.  You can deal with the old one after the wedding.

Best of luck.

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 7:05

Really sorry to hear this.  I'm sure some of the togs on here will be able to recommend someone in your area that can help.  I'm a bit suspicious of the reason she gives to be honest.  If she is cancelling you to do the photos for a family friend, she must have known about it sooner than this.  Personally, even if it's true, I can't imagine any professional cancelling a long standing booking customer who has paid in full to do a family wedding.  Any normal thinking family would surely understand that she was already booked and wouldn't expect her to cancel your booking to do their wedding. 

I would get your money back asap and then seek advice regarding the contract.  As she isn't providing another photographer as mentioned in the contract, then you should have some recompense for this as well as the full refund.

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 7:20

Thanks Ash for your reply, I'm devestated about it all, was up till nearly 3am trying to find other photographers who may have availability for a Saturday wedding in July.

I will definitely look at what I can do after the wedding.

x

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 7:25

Hi Overtherainbow,

Thanks for your reply.

I completely agree with what you said, how could she not have known that the family member would be getting married sooner? I also said to her that as a business woman she should honour full paying customers who have been booked in prior. I also said that as she has breached the contract would I be entitled to compensation to cover the costs of a new photographer and she basically just said no!

I'm definitely going to see what I can do about it as I'm fuming. I have Which? legal advice so will probably give them a call and see what, if anything I can do about it.

x

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 8:19

Sorry to say but this is becoming more common and using the same excuse of a family member getting marriedSad, what has happened is she booked you in on a cheap/startup price and now has a higher paid client booked, so she drops her cheaper client, We all could do this but we are more professional, the amount of enquiries I get for the same date is unreal and I too could name my price, its disgusting what these new photographers are doing, honestly really sorry for this.

Not sure how much you paid her or your max budget is but I'm sure there is a photographer on here in your budget.

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 9:05

So sorry to hear the awful situation this photographer has left you in. Try not to be too put out by the fact that she hasn't provided another photographer- IMO that is a blessing.

She could, under that clause appoint anyone and you don't know what you're getting until it's too late. You could end up with someone who is completely rubbish, has a totally different style to what you wanted etc. At the very least, try to see the positive in the fact you get to choose who you want now. I know that wont be much comfort at the moment, but it may help a little.

I think Laura is in your area http://lauradebourdephotography.com/

I really hope you manage to find someone soon. 

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 9:16

So sorry to hear this! My togs are based in whit stable but travel all over Kent http://www.robertmarriottphotography.co.uk I know they are pretty much fully booked but they may be able to help or at least give you some other options. I hope you find someone x

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 10:34

So sorry this has happened to you, this is just totally unacceptable behaviour good luck with the legal advice. I don't know anyone is your area as such but I know our photographer travels. He's a reasonable price and a lovely person too. Search Benjamin mathers photography if your interested we're based in Norfolk and he recently shot a wedding in London so could be a possibility? 

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 10:56

Trading Standards are also very helpful and will let you know the best course of action to take.  They may also have a note of any previous complaints about her too which could further help your cause. Hope you find someone soon.

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 11:26

BrideLeanne:
    I had an email at 11:30pm from my photographer who has said she now cannot attend my wedding as she was just informed a family member would be getting married on the same day as me and has no choice but to cancel my booking.

This is unforgivable behavior, and does not sound real to me. As has been said - she has just found out 2 weeks before does not sound plausible and even if it is true then so what - she shouldn't be cancelling a pre booked wedding, to do what, attend it as a guest ? or shoot it for them ? and if that is the case then she would then be loosing x amount of £ from your booked wedding for the privilege of attending or shooting theirs for free, there must be another reason behind it.

How much did you pay

Is she a full time pro

Does she have a website or is she someone you found on facebook   

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 12:00

I cant really give any advice, but am so sorry to hear about the whole situation.  An added stress I'm sure you don't need.  In the long run, you will be better off, because I wouldn't want someone with that attitude photographing my wedding.  Nor would I want another one that she recommends.

There are some lovely TOG's on here, and I'm sure they will recommend a reputable one for you.

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 12:18

Hi,

I'm a member of several groups of photographers who, when they are already booked post the wedding detail so as to source some who are available for the couple.

If you'd like me to do this for you I'll need the date, venue details and your budget and I'd have a list of names for you in under 24 hours.

And BTW, I think the other wedding doesn't exist.

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 12:30

As said by many....unforgivable and unprofessional. This photographer is a blight on our industry. Once I have committed to a job, only a severe accident would prevent me attending....and then, the back up plans would slip in to place to cover any weddings.

Couples need peace of mind and confidence in the suppliers they have chosen running up to their wedding, not situations like this......

Peter

• Posted: 28 Jun 2015 14:58

I agree with the others, it's a disgraceful excuse.  How could anyone find out about a "family members" wedding only 2 weeks before it?  My clients weddings take priority over any family events.  I missed my son's confirmation last summer and have missed family weddings too.

If you haven't found anyone feel free to check out my site.  I live in Yorkshire but cover weddings across the UK.

Return to: Wedding Planning
Page 1 of 4 (47 items) 1234Next >