My naming ceremony script

Join the conversation!

Chat and get advice from other brides-to-be.

Register for free Sign in to reply
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
Sort Posts:
  • Posted: 6 Aug 2012 11:16

My naming ceremony script

As requested here is my naming day script. I used lots of different scripts I'd found online to write this - feel free to borrow if needed. We didn't pay for a registrar, a very good friend of mine (who's a drama teacher) read it for us.

Introduction

We gather today to bless a child,
    A new life that has become part of our world.
    We gather today to name this child.
    To call a thing by name is to give it power,
    and so today we shall give this child a gift.
    We will welcome her into our hearts and lives
    and bless her with a name of her own.

Welcome everyone. A warm welcome to you all, friends and family as we come together to celebrate a new life – the life of a beautiful baby girl – Isobelle. Thank you all for being here. Today we mark a milestone not only for Isobelle, but for her mum and dad, Mum and Dad, for her family and for everyone whose lives she has touched in the 6 months she has been in this world. We are all deeply touched by the birth of a baby. That a child is born into this world in innocence and pure love, is indeed a miracle. A tiny human who is so dependent on us for all her nurturing, her nourishment and her learning.

A naming ceremony’s purpose is to officially give a baby their name and to make the name known to all her friends and family. A naming ceremony has an extended purpose of presenting the baby to her community and to celebrate the arrival of a new person in that community. We all share in the joy of Isobelle’s arrival – just as we all share the responsibility of shaping her as a person. Isobelle needs everyone’s good and caring influence as we offer her our love, our knowledge and our wisdom. The more people to whom she relates, the more balanced and rich her growth will be. So your presence at this celebration today is appreciated, as will be your interest and involvement in the years ahead.

Explanation of name

Now it is time to formally welcome Isobelle with love as we bestow her name.

Isobelle was born at 4am on Thursday 2nd February 2012 at Stoke Mandeville Hospital. Dad supported Mum through the birth and was first to put on a nappy & dress her after she’d fed for nearly 2 hours!

A name is very important. It distinguishes us from others and gives us a sense of belonging in our family and community. Dad and Mum are not good at making decisions but had decided on the name Isobelle before they were married 2 years ago, as they both liked the name, although I’m told it took a lot longer to decide on how to spell it!

Isobelle is a name with many spellings and meanings. It is a Hebrew name that is believed to be derived from the name Elizabeth. It means vow or oath of God. The belle at the end comes from the Latin word bella which translates to beautiful.

Her middle name, ______________, was chosen by both parents for a more personal reason, this was the name of Dad’s older sister who sadly lost her life to cancer. She would really have loved Isobelle, being a caring & dedicated Aunty as well as a valuable source of advice.

Isobelle – your name has been chosen with love and with the strength of heritage. We therefore name you Isobelle_________ ____________. We wish you long life and happiness in a loving and peaceful world. May you bring joy to your parents, your family and friends.

Promises for Parents

Isobelle’s Uncle  is now going to read a poem entitled The Example of Parenthood
    The Example of Parenthood
    There are little eyes upon you and they’re watching night and day;
    There are little ears that quickly take in everything you say;
    There are little hands all eager to do everything you do,
    And a little girl who’s dreaming of the day she’ll be like you.
    You’re little Isobelle’s idol you’re the wisest of the wise;
    In her little mind about you no suspicions ever rise.
    There’s a wide-eyed little girl who believes you’re always right,
    And her ears are always open as she watches day and night.
    You are setting an example every day in all you do.
    For the little girl who’s waiting to grow up to be like you.

In human history there is no deeper connection than that of a baby and her parents. As new parents, Mum and Dad’s lives have changed forever.

Before they were a couple in love, committed to each other in marriage. Now they have become a true family with that commitment extending to Isobelle. This is now a close and loving family unit.

Families are important – the role of parenthood held in high regard. To be responsible for a new life strengthens the bond that Dad and Mum share and brings a strong purpose to their lives.

Mum has a poem to share with you

A Mother's Wish by Anon

I hope my child looks back on today
    And sees a mother who had time to play.
    There will be years for cleaning and cooking,
    But children grow up when you're not looking.
    Tomorrow I'll do all the chores you can mention
    But today, my baby needs time and attention.
    So settle down cobwebs; dust go to sleep,
    I'm cuddling my baby, and babies don't keep.

So, Mum and Dad, in front of your family and friends do you both promise that you will continue to treasure the time you spend together, and support each other through the changes in your lives? We do 

Mum and Dad, this soul is so dear to you both. She has come into your lives and changed them forever, and now your role as parents has been embraced with responsibility, care and love.

I ask that you make your own personal declaration of commitment and unconditional love to Isobelle.

Dad, do you promise to protect and provide for Isobelle so she may grow up to be happy and safe? I do

Mum, do you promise to encourage her curiosity, courage and enthusiasm so that she can face life’s challenges with resilience and optimism? I do

Mum & Dad please repeat together after me:

We promise to cherish and nurture Isobelle throughout her life.

We promise to guide Isobelle and to respect and support the choices she makes.
    We promise to do our best to raise Isobelle to take her place in the community as a kind and caring person.

Dad also has a poem he would like to share:

You are a princess in my heart,
    and I care for you so much.
    I love the fondness in you eyes and your tender little touch.

I looked at you when you were born,

and knew then straight away,
    that I would be forever here
    to watch you grow and play.

You bring to me a heart of joy,

and memories so great,
    and a powerful sense of fatherhood that no one can debate.

I watch you sleep and dream of things that I can only wonder.

That innocent look upon your face just makes my heart grow fonder.

I see you run and jump and shout and calling out my name.

No love that I have ever known could ever feel the same.
    No suffering or tragedy nor deeply seated pain
    could ever over shadow the bond that we retain.

And so my little princess before you go to sleep,

Remember I am your daddy and I am yours to keep.

Promises for Guardians

Mum and Dad have asked 5 family and friends to be guardians to Isobelle. Please can they join me at the front.

Guardians are named individuals chosen by the parents to take an interest in the child's upbringing and personal development.

Isobelle’s Aunty will now share a poem

Wishing you many smiles and happy times to come by Anon

May life's adventures be exciting and sweet
    Filled with love from the friends that you'll meet
    You'll soon grow up for time does fly
    So cherish each moment as it goes by
    From crawling and walking
    To toddling and talking
    There's no knowing what you'll do next

There's a threshold to cross and a wide open door
    And a wonderful world for you to explore
    Sleep with the moonbeams and play in the sun
    Let your life be a long one and filled with fun
    May today and tomorrow and all days hereafter
    Be days that are happy and filled with your laughter.

So, I formally ask you all:

Will you stay close to Isobelle to the best of your ability? We will

Will you help to guide her through life so that she may know the best way you know? We will

Will you try to be a good influence by your own way of living, encourage her to observe worthy principles, and decent treatment of her fellow human beings and her world? We will

Isobelle’s guardian, will read a poem 

Children Learn what they Live  by Dorothy Law Nolte
    If children live with criticism,

They learn to condemn;
    If children live with hostility,
    They learn how to fight;
    If children live with ridicule,
    They learn to be shy;
    If children live with shame,
    They learn to feel guilty;

But

If children live with tolerance,
    They learn to be patient;
    If children live with encouragement,
    They learn to have confidence;
    If children live with praise,
    They learn to appreciate;
    If children live with fairness,
    They learn justice;
    If children live with security,
    They learn to have faith;
    If children live with approval,
    They learn to like themselves;
    If children live with love around them,
    They learn to give love to the world.

We now ask her guardians, grandparents and aunts and uncles to join us to create 2 unique candles. Each member of family or guardian will have a container of coloured sand that will be poured into a vase to symbolise them joining together to love, support, reassure and guide Isobelle as she grows & develops.  At the end of the ceremony you will have the opportunity of creating your own sand creation to remember this occasion.

(Music will play here)

Promises for everyone

Mum and Dad are very aware that raising a child holds big responsibilities. It is important that they are able to ask for support on occasions, and for Isobelle to be able to gain counsel from family and friends – people she can trust to go to as she grows. As they say, it takes a village to raise a child.

With this in mind, Mum and Dad have chosen to invite all of you here today – as their friends and family – to make an affirmation that you will help guide and nurture Isobelle from helpless babyhood into independent adulthood.

Will you help to offer Isobelle a broad and balanced view of life, We will

Will you encourage her in the virtues we all agree as good - integrity, honesty, concern, fairness and love toward his fellow human beings. We will

Will you be a shoulder for Mum and Dad to lean on when they need it? We will

Will you accept Isobelle into your community and welcome her into your hearts? We will.

We would like everyone to join in with a poem of wishes for her future:

May beauty delight you and happiness uplift you,
    May wonder fulfil you and love surround you.
    May your step be steady and your arm be strong,
    May your heart be peaceful and your word be true.
    May you seek to learn, may you learn to live.
    May you live to love, and may you love - always

Conclusion

As we draw this ceremony to a close I say to you, Isobelle, may life's richest joys and blessings be yours. May you grow in health of body and mind to full adulthood and may it be your good fortune to play some worthy part in making life more pleasant for those whose paths you cross.

If you have bought an item for Isobelle’s time capsule please can you see Isobelle’s Grandpa after the ceremony to pass on the gift and record a short video message.

On behalf of Dad & Mum I’d like to thank you for your attendance, affirmations and support in the past, present and future.

We’ll end with 1 final poem by Mum

May all your wishes come true
    May you always do for others
    And let others do for you
    May you build a ladder to the stars
    And climb on every rung
    And may you stay forever young

May you grow to be righteous
    May you grow up to be true
    May you always know the truth
    And see the light that is surrounding you

May you always be courageous
    Stand upright and strong
    And may you stay forever young

May your hands always be busy
    And may your feet always be swift
    May you have a strong foundation
    When the winds of change shift
    May your heart always be joyful
    And may your song always be sung
    And may you stay forever young.

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 11:35

Re: My naming ceremony script

oh jeez, how am i going to get through C's without sobbing like a baby?!?

Weep

that's really really lovely blackkat, no wonder you had so many people complimenting you on it Love

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 11:39

This is why I had my friend read it, I filled up reading both of my poems! Do you want me to email it to you?

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 12:09

This is so lovely. 

I think you should add it to the BT Wiki with your planning notes etc. sure you've got nothing better to do Wink

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 12:24

Beez:

This is so lovely. 

I think you should add it to the BT Wiki with your planning notes etc. sure you've got nothing better to do Wink

yes, definitely this.  i managed to find a few resources from a few places to try and put something together for C's but this would be a really useful addition to the wiki.

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 12:30

This is so lovely Blackkat, I am welling up at work!

Agree it would be a fab addition to the Wiki, if you wouldn't mind having it up there. I'm obviously quite a way away from needing a naming ceremony but it is something we definitely want to do.

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 14:21

Blackkat, that is lovely.

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 14:23

It's as lovely written down as it was to hear read yesterday BK, you did a wonderful job for your little girl x

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 17:24

Thanks ladies,

I've never added anything to the bt wiki, I've had a look & I'm a bit confused about how to add anything. But would be happy to add it if someone can help me do so.

Margot (I nearly called you that yesterday!), I'm so glad you could make it yesterday & I'm happy you enjoyed it x

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 18:05

Beautiful.

(You have got her middle name written in there, even though you blanked it out before though. Not sure if you want to delete it).

• Posted: 6 Aug 2012 18:12

Rusty the Clown:

Beautiful.

(You have got her middle name written in there, even though you blanked it out before though. Not sure if you want to delete it).

Thanks Rusty, didn't want to include other family names in it.

• Posted: 9 Aug 2012 15:08

Bounce for anglefish

• Posted: 9 Aug 2012 16:43

thanks blackkat very helpful xx

Return to: Baby Talk
Page 1 of 1 (13 items)