Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner August 2010

Money 'poem' help please

louisep, 14 of April of 2010 at 18:54 Posted on Planning 0 20

Hi Ladies,

Almost finished with our invitations however my husband wants to put one of these money poem thing in with our invitions asking for money towards our honeymoon rather than a gift. I however am not a great fan of money poems, i think that no matter how they are worded they sound cheap and as if a gift would not be good enough, but i have lost my battle and have to have one, has anyone got any suggestions, this is the best one i have come accross but i want to say what the money would go towards and also that a gift is not necessary.

So what do you get
For the Bride and Groom
Whose house has things
In every room?

When shopping for a present
Please, don't be rash
As the option is there
to just give cash

We hope that you don't find
Our request to be funny
But the decision is yours
buy a present, or give money

Now you have the choice
Please do not fuss
the most important thing of all
Is that you come and celebrate with us!

this is what the printers suggest but i really do not like the pots and pans bit

We know it's not traditional
It's not the way it's done
But instead of a wedding list
We'd like a bit of sun.

Please do not think of us as rude
Please do not take offence
We do not want to upset you
That's not the way it's meant.

We've lived together quite a while
And all the bills are paid
We've got our plates, our pots and pans
Our plans have all been made.

So if you'd like to give a gift
To help us celebrate
Some money for a honeymoon
We would appreciate

i have found this one which i think is the nicest,

As we approach our wedding day
Here are some things we would like to say
The plans we've made are going well
We've booked the church, cars and hotel
We have a house tobe our home
And furnished each and every room
Although there are things we've likely missed
We have not made a wedding list
But if you choose to bring a gift
A cheque or cash would be our wish
This is to spent very soon
When we go on our honeymoon
But most of all we both request
That you will be our wedding guest.

does anyone have any other suggestions, and before people start with the money poem is wrong speil, i am in your club but h2b has won this battle, i will win the war lol

thank you in advance for your help

20 replies

Latest activity by Hello Sunshine, 15 of April of 2010 at 11:25
  • teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

Does it have to be a poem????? cant he settle for a simple sentence about requesting money to help towards HM/Home??????

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

I think the third one is nicest IMO.

Someone at worked asked for travel vouchesr from like Thomson/Thomas Cook. You could do that alternatively Smiley smile

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    louisep ·
    • Hide content

Believe me i have tried, i dont want to put anything in, but what do you suggest? i mean for the sentence??

thank you

• lynziloo
    Beginner August 2010
    lynziloo ·
    • Hide content

There was another thread about this on another forum recently and it got a bit heated! Apparently people's opinions vary quite a lot on this so I'd say do whatever suits you both personally.

My opinion is that it's tricky asking for money for a present even when disguised in a cute/funny poem. We've set up a Trailfinders giftlist ourselves and are just going to put the flyer in the invites and a link on our wedding website. The note on the website page just says 'The best gift you can give us is your company on our special day. It means the world to us. However, if you'dlike to buy us a gift we have set up a gift list with Trailfinders as we'd love to take our son on holiday after the wedding' or something along those lines. We're not mentioning it on the invites.

There's a short poem that goes something like:

We'd prefer your presence

rather than you presents

but if you really do insist

see our enclosed gift list

which I thought was quite catchy but everyone I asked said it was cheesy so put me off using it!

Seriosuly just do whatever makes you happy - it's your day after all x (sorry probably no help whatsoever!)

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Louise, I understand what you are trying to do - but in my opinion it just sounds awful - OH & I have a v v v small gift list and we have been honest with our family that other than my traditional Nanny who wants to buy us a gift, we would really appreciate some vouchers towards our honeymoon. on the invites I wrote something like

Gifts: If you would like to buy a gift for the bride and groom please contact them on **** for further details.

That way if people decide to buy us a gift and call us I can be honest and say we have a small list at Debenhams, once the list is "bought" we will not be adding to it as we have everything but we would be very grateful for Vouchers from Thomson to help us pay for our honeymoon . You really do not need to dress it up in a poem. Just be honest.

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

I found these ones:

A)

If you were thinking of giving a gift, to help us on our way,
    A gift of cash towards our honeymoon, would really make our day.
    However, if you prefer to purchase a gift, feel free to surprise us in your own way

B) A funny one

We don’t want to offend but we have it all,
    All household goods and so much more.
    To save you shopping, sit back and rest,
    A gift of currency is our request.
    Don’t go overboard or rob any banks,
    Any little thing will make us smile with thanks.
    We supply the wishing well,
    No wrapping, an envelop who can tell.
    Now that we have saved you all the fuss,
    It would be appreciated if you would come
    And celebrate with us

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There must be something wrong with me - all of these poems make we want to vomit ?

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Louise - I had forgotten that you are my date twin!! How are you doing?

When are you sending the invites?

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    louisep ·
    • Hide content

Sara,

My Date twin, did you put anything in or not, as i said i would rather not but have lost my fight!!!

louise

• Mrs_T2B
    Beginner May 2011
    Mrs_T2B ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Louise lol ? It's hard I guess as you wouldn't want to offend anyone. I will have to cross thsi bridge eventually as we are saving for our first home and would prefer money/vouchers to go towards the deposit.

Found this one too although it's a bit long winded:

The date has been set and we'd love you to come,
    To our wedding in (place name), a long way for some,
    All you must do, is decide what to wear,
    Then polish your jewellery and comb up your hair.

Don't worry about gifts, don't buy us a yacht,
    The things that we need, we've already got.
    Our home is quite compact, we may have to move
    Then our storage and space will surely improve.

Don't go out shopping or get yourself stressed,
    Don't alter your plans for a pre wedding rest.
    If you want to be generous, despite what we've said,
    Then save all the hassle and do this instead.....

Don't know how to word this but will give it our best shot..
    Contributions are most welcome, we'll go somewhere hot!
    A honeymoon would be marvellous, to start off our life,
    In our long winding journey, as new husband and wife!

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

My best mates wedding invite read

Between them, A & B have accumulated enough sh*te over the years but would like to concentrate on their new home. If you would like to contribute to their list of DIY then that would be appreciated.

I couldnt stop laughing, never seen the SH word in an invitation before!

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    louisep ·
    • Hide content

I wanted to have sent them out by now but the printers keep making spelling mistakes and then take 2 weeks to rectify them grrrrrrrrrrrr, plus i cant decide on this stupid money poem thing. RSVP date 14th july so want them to go out by the 1st of june by the latest, had my aunt make up three for distant rellies that i hardly see and their RSVP date is the 1st june so wait and see how that goes, when are you sending out yours?

how is your planning coming along??

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Hello ! ?

In my first post above you'll see the sentence we decided to put in our invites. I did run it by a few people first, who were coming to our wedding and they all laughed at me for being so worried about it all - they all said they were going to give us some money anyway (which really shocked me as I do not expect people to give anything)

I have to befrank though, money poems make my eyes bleed - please, please, don't use one - just be honest & open with people and you'll probably be surprised by thier reaction!

S x

(Sorry if I come across as rude or blunt, it is 4 months today till the wedding and the wedding dres diet has well and truly started and I am STARVING HUNGRY!!!!! and not to mention a grumpy old cow bag!)

• Saracroft251
    Beginner August 2010
    Saracroft251 ·
    • Hide content

Our invites are by Prettywild a Hitcher on here - she is currently working her magic on them! As soon as we get them they will be sent out!

You have been really generous with your RSVP date - we have put RSVP by June 1st on all our invites ( I am sure that it will be ignore by everyone anyway )

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    louisep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

just read what you put and thats a good idea, most of our friends and family know us enough to know that we would rather money for our honeymoon anyway so i would rather not put anything in, i will try and fight again lol.

when are you sending your invitations out?

know what you mean re DIET!!!! i have been good for days, then bought a 7up free and a 3bean wrap from boots and the lovely but horrid woman from behind the counter said that is 389 if you pick up a pack of crisps aswell thats a meal deal and will only be 299!!! the crisps were the big eat packs, and i ate them, man i hate that woman, am starving now though and am not going to eat anything for the rest of the day.

• TheCakeNinja
    TheCakeNinja ·
    • Hide content

Hi, if you visit us at www.lilypondweddings.com and follow the wedding wishing well link you will find a poem page with a few suggestions.

HTH

Andrea

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Louise I know you've said you've lost the battle on the poem but seriously you are sending these invitations out to your friends and family so don't use something you personally don't like. Tell your h2b to come on here and he will soon realise just how darn pathetic and offensive poems are. If I ever get one I'll be buying the couple a single sliced toaster as revenge!

• shoegal01
    Beginner October 2010
    shoegal01 ·
    • Hide content

I think your all being a bit unfair here.

Im not a money poem lover but i dont think that they are that hideous that i would delibertly buy a presant out of spite if i read one in an invite.

I have actually never received one in real life and the first i heard of them was on here.

Yeah there cheesy but at least a bit more thought has gone into finding the poem rather than writing 'pay for our honeymoon/give us cash!

• *PJ*
    Beginner July 2010
    *PJ* ·
    • Hide content

Its your day, do what ever makes you and oh happy!!! I put one in my invites, and people really didn't mind. If they did then I wouldn't really care anyway, its my day...!! I thought it was cute and 'fluffed' it up rather than just writing it in a sentence!!

I think weddings are all about 'fluffing' it up anyways!!!

Mine wasn't about 'giving me money' mine was about having a good day with loads of laughter singing and dancing. How we didn't want presents because we have everything we need was our friends and family being there! IF they wanted to give us money then it would go towards our honeymoon!

Do what ever makes you and OH happy, I think your right though, you have to do some things what oh wants! It's nice that he feels he wants one and is making a point of it!!

Good Luck!

P xx

• L
    Beginner August 2010
    louisep ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i know i just wish it was not this lol.

thank you all for your advice, all taken on board, less than 4 months now for me, getting nervous now

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Are honeymoon / travel vouchers an option rather than cash? I know it's odd but most people I've spoken to about this feel more comfortable getting vouchers than giving actual cash.

I wouldn't have a poem in a million years but I don't think there's anything wrong with simply putting a sentence in saying words to the effect of 'if you would like to give us a gift we have set up a honeymoon list with Thomas Cook (or whatever).' Then give the details of how people can contribute.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics