Just wondering on your views on what I should do/if anyone else has experienced the same issue?
My wedding was originally planned for June this year, however our venue refused to refund us multiple times at the start of lockdown as nobody knew if things would return to normal by June. They "kindly" allowed us to postpone until June 2021 instead, and we confirmed the actual date in July. Again, no mention of refund despite saying they will give a full refund/postpone all couples not being able to marry as planned due to the pandemic.
Anyway, recently our financial situation had changed, and so we're quite tight on money now, so we want a simple and intimate wedding instead. We contacted our venue again to request for a full refund, and was only offered 50% of our deposit! I questioned them about the full refund that they offered to couples who couldn't get married as planned, and their reply was "what I meant by a full refund was minus the costs incurred". Can they even say something like that? Anyway, I understand it's fair to deduct actual costs spent for my wedding, so I asked for a breakdown for what was spent as we hadn't even finalised any details about our wedding when lockdown started as it was still 3 months away. Their reply was charging us for: showing us around the venue before booking, invoicing paperwork (everything was sent electronically and all drafted templates), ceremony booking fee (I agreed to paying this), and.....£1,100 for emails sent to me!!! I counted and there were only 13 emails sent, including confirmation emails!
They're clearly making up the figures. They've been manipulative throughout and keep threatening us by using the contract we signed against us which was "drafted by top lawyers", and that they're members of this and that. It was only when I challenged them by sending them the CMA guidelines downloaded from the gov.uk website, that they're now seeking legal advice with a group of other venues as a member of the 'Wedding Venue Support Group' to fight against the CMA guidelines!
I'm so stressed and anxious about this whole situation. I've even offered up my peak wedding date in exchange for an off-peak weekday wedding, but they're refusing to change the date for me without cancelling the contract and still trying to keep 50% of my deposit!!
It appears my only option is to keep my June 2021 wedding date and keep it as simple as possible. But after all this ordeal with them, I don't even want to get married there any more! Not to mention my wedding was supposed to be for 200 guests, and they won't refund me any difference should there still be guests restrictions!
Please help!! I just can't believe our special day has become such a nightmare!!!