Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Becky
Beginner June 2022 Devon

June 2021 Wedding Planning

Becky, 14 of January of 2021 at 20:46 Posted on Planning 0 24
Hi everyone,
I’ve decided to join up as I’ve seen a couple of forums and everyone seems so supportive and it’s nice to hear from people in the same boat as us.
So, our wedding is booked for 18th June 2021 - we booked back in February 2020 before COVID was disrupting our daily lives!Like others on here I’m now starting to feel really nervous about what the summer will bring. I don’t expect anyone to have the answer but it’s just nice to vent to people who might understand!I’m a planner, I absolutely LOVE planning everything! I was so looking forward to planning a wedding but with everything going on I just can’t get my head around the fact it will even happen and feel so disheartened that I’m not exciting about the planning or looking into every detail which I normally would.We’ve booked the suppliers we want as I was on that straight away!! That was all done by March last year but since then I just can’t get excited about it ?Does anyone have any tips for getting your brain around this crazy time we’re all facing? I know there’s so much stuff I should be planning right now but my brain is frazzled!

24 replies

Latest activity by Faruk, 13 of March of 2022 at 13:37
  • RomanticBrownStationery29719
    Dedicated
    RomanticBrownStationery29719 ·
    • Hide content
    Hey I am in the same boat. My day is supposed to be 20th June. I am a perfectionist and struggling with he situation a lot. Atm I can't even say if we have a wedding as my family lives abroad so no way will I get married without them. I decided to put all wedding planning on hold till February and decide by March if we go ahead. I try to distract myself with a new fitness and health regime. At least that will help me fit in the dress should the day come. I have good and bad days but I think the hardest part is trying to not check news daily as that really put me down a lot of times. I hated planning from day 1 tbh and got most things booked like 18 months ago.... so thought I was done and all set. And now its been nothing but drama for 9 months so kind of over it. Hope you can enjoy planning again at some point. Find distraction that is not wedding related is all I can suggest. All the best when your day comes
  • C
    Beginner June 2021 South West London
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    We are in the same situation. Booked in for June this year and organised everything before Covid was even a thing. I haven’t found anything stressful apart from Covid!! It’s ruined it for both of us if I’m honest. We feel like we can’t get excited either. I appreciate the wedding probably won’t be ‘normal’ but I don’t think we could do it with just 15 guests. We are thinking of pushing it back to September to give us a few more months breathing space. Nobody has the answer though and nobody knows what’s best to do. Hope you’re all feeling ok, it’s a rubbish situation to be in xx
  • ExpensivePinkFlowers63608
    Savvy April 2021 Somerset
    ExpensivePinkFlowers63608 ·
    • Hide content

Should be ok(ish) by June! I've postponed my wedding twice (once during April when there were no weddings allowed, and once during September when it was 30 guests) and now I regret postponing the September one. So my advice would be don't postpone as you just don't know what'll happen!

• J
    Beginner July 2022 Dorset
    Jade ·
    • Hide content
    So we got engaged july 2019, had ceremony and venue booked by December 2019 plus everything else. Then Covid happened so our July 2020 wedding was postponed and rescheduled for July 2021. We have postponed again for July 2022. I may regret that idea but I don't like the idea of being the reason for someone getting ill and having an uneasy feeling throughout the day
  • Becky
    Beginner June 2022 Devon
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks so much for the advice, I’ve started doing the couch to 5k today to give me something non wedding to focus on! It’s helping to take my mind off it so far.
    I’m so sorry to hear that you’re struggling too. I really hope your family can make the trip. Most of my closest family and friends live in the uk, so I’m lucky in that sense.
    Good luck with your day and your new fitness regime!
  • Becky
    Beginner June 2022 Devon
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes we’re the same, I don’t think we would go ahead with just 15 people, we would lose out on some supplier deposits but we want to celebrate with friends and family and I just couldn’t whittle our list down to 15 people!
    I think we’re going to decide at the beginning of April and see what the situation is then. They seem to be getting on well with the vaccines, so if that keeps going and we don’t get any other pesky variants hopefully our days could be semi-normal!
    Good luck with it all and try to feel happy and excited about - I know how difficult that is though!! Xx
  • D
    Dedicated June 2021 Hertfordshire
    Daisy ·
    • Hide content

Hi, we're hopefully getting married on 27 June 2021. We only got engaged just over a month ago, so in some ways I feel quite lucky that we're going into this fully aware of Covid and its possible restrictions so are planning with that in mind, rather than the awful situation some of you are in where you've planned and looked forward to a particular kind of day, only to now not know if that can happen.

We've decided to plan a small ceremony (30 people) in the hope restrictions will have been lifted enough to allow this by June. If it has to be 15 then we will downsize. And if it can't happen at all, then we will just get married at a registry office when we can and go without having a proper 'wedding' at all. We want to start trying for a baby as soon as we are married, and don't want to postpone this as being slightly older we just want to get on with trying to conceive.

Good luck to you all; I hope your days go ahead and are as wonderful as you've dreamed of.

• Sassy
    Beginner March 2022 Devon
    Sassy ·
    • Hide content
    Hi becky
    Really feeling your pain frustration. Were meant to be getting married 29th May 2021 and today we are giving our notice of marriage. I've lost all the excitement and just feel so sad. My hotel where were getting married has closed due to covid so can't talk to them to re arrange. Totally lost. Such worrying times.
  • Becky
    Beginner June 2022 Devon
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Sassy, I’m so sorry to hear that. That sounds so stressful, I hope you’ve managed to find another venue?
    We are going to decide about postponing at the end of March but also feel like if we postpone and lots of other people are too, that’s another year for all the wedding suppliers and venues where they aren’t making any money and like your venue, probably won’t survive. It’s so tough and I really feel for you. I hope you can still have a lovely day. Sending you all my best wishes and I hope things get sorted for you.
  • R
    Beginner May 2021
    RomanticPurpleBridesmaid37365 ·
    • Hide content
    Hey,

I’m getting married on 29th May (hopefully) and have been through a range of emotions like everyone else. We have decided to go ahead even if it’s 15 people and honestly since we made the decision I’ve been able to get excited again. I think it’s because I stopped visualising a 100 person wedding. This also makes the prospect of it being completely cancelled easier to contemplate too.
    It’s obviously a different type of excited but I think about seeing my partner in my dress, walking down the isle with my dad etc. So I guess my advice would be just try to visualise your different day and get excited about the things you can control - how will you have your hair, what about doing a speech etc?
    Hope it all goes well for you xxx
  • E
    Beginner June 2022
    Erin_Elf92 ·
    • Hide content
    We are due to get married on the 3rd July and booked the venue and most of our suppliers in 2019. I ordered my dress back in the summer and since then haven't really done much more in terms of planning and I definitely don't feel that excited about the wedding day. We still have so much to confirm and organise and worry about how much time we will have to get things sorted once lockdown has been eased/lifted. I emailed our venue to see what their procedures are for postponing and they are happy for us to postpone at anytime which is a comfort and we could also go down the split wedding option so we have a bigger reception at a later date if we wanted to. I think we are going to see what announcements are made on 22nd February and then make a decision. It's just so hard to know what to do as we don't want to have any regrets!
  • Melinda
    Beginner February 1999 New York
    Melinda ·
    • Hide content

The weddings planned on the boat , were canceled because of Covid, and my friends had the same problem.

• M
    Beginner June 2021 Monmouthshire
    Maneek ·
    • Hide content
    Hi, so glad I found this as I was searching high and low for a chance to speak with other brides as I’ve been feeling really emotional about my wedding and looking for support. My partner and I were due to get married in August 2020 but in May 2020 we postponed to June 1st 2021. It made sense but was an emotional time yet I’d come to terms with it knowing/thinking we’d get our special day just as planned this year. I know we are a while from June but with the way things are looking it seems there will still be lots of restrictions. Coming to terms with having a smaller guest list and not having some family and friends there is one thing but being told that we might not be able to have a DJ or dance floor (so basically no reception party) and having to change the day from what we wanted is really hard to deal with. My fiancé is white and I’m Indian and we planned a mixed wedding day celebrating things from our cultures, but now it feels like a lot of that won’t happen. I then had a lot of health issues from September 2020 so I feel very lucky to be here but also can’t help feeling sad that we most likely won’t get the wedding day we deserve after all I’ve been through. The financial part is another element too (some money you may save but a lot you may lose) We could postpone again but it’s just too much stress, we want to be married and start a family at some point. Once was ok to cope with but my day being unclear and possibly restricted the second time is heartbreaking.

The only advice I can give is that it’s ok to be sad and cry and get angry and feel like this is not fair. I have tired the “what is this trying to reach me?” approach but frankly I’m not quite sure what this is trying to teach over what lockdown and my health issues have already opened my eyes too. Fingers crossed things are ok for us all in 2021 and beyond ♥️ Sending love to all you beautiful brides to be x
  • Y
    Beginner June 2021 Northumberland
    Yvy ·
    • Hide content
    Hi all,
    Sounds like there is a whole community going through a similar thing. We are due to get married on the first weekend in June. We have reschedule and ended up having our microwedding on our date in September 2020. June is starting to look unlikely and we have contacted our venue to see if we can cancel and at the moment we have been told we would loose 50% the value of the contract. We are just feeling fatigued and stressed having re-organised the wedding and organised a micro wedding. We can postponed but to a different venue which is not what we want. So we are getting quite stressed about it all and family and friends abroad are eager to book travel but we are unable to tell them what the plan is. We are hoping to make a decision once the road map has been organised latest end of March. Just not enjoying the stress, anxiety and sleepless nights.
  • Becky
    Beginner June 2022 Devon
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow, that seems so harsh to make you pay 50% of the contract Yvette! Is the alternative venue completely different to what you have originally booked?
    Our venue have been so good with moving the date, it’s taken so much stress away!
    It’s so hard to know what the right decision is, I’m not sure there is a right choice?!We have postponed now, we were going to wait until Easter, then it was March, then it was the roadmap! This weekend we thought let’s just do it now, I just need to sort out a few suppliers but think it will make me feel so much better once it’s done.Not an easy choice though!We also have a number of guests coming from abroad but had just assumed they wouldn’t be able to make it if we had it in June this year and we really want them there if we can!The choice is so individual, you just need to do what makes you happy! You’ll be happy once you’ve made a decision. Good luck!! Xx
  • Becky
    Beginner June 2022 Devon
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Maneek,
    I’m so sorry to hear about your postponement and health issues, the last year has been hard enough. I can’t imagine having to deal with that too.
    We have just postponed our June wedding and I’m starting to feel a bit better knowing we have a new date. Although this is the first time we’ve postponed, having to do it more than once would not be fun.It’s also hard to think about not having the day you planned with all of your friends and family celebrating in the way you wanted.I hope you find the best decision for you, follow your heart because that will make you happiest.Wishing you all the best for a wonderful wedding day!
  • M
    Beginner June 2021 Monmouthshire
    Maneek ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thanks for the reply Becky, glad to hear you’ve made a decision and feel good about it. We’ve been doing a lot of talking and I think we’ll go ahead with what we can in June and only postpone again if we know the the guest list will go up between June and early September and have a big party later down the line when it’s ok to do so. I think we all deserve to celebrate at some point or another and not be forgotten about.

Good luck to you and to all the brides, I think it really helps talking to other people in the same situation x
  • Y
    Yvy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh gosh what a relief and a weight of your shoulders. I am so happy for you and we are counting to the day ourselves where we can make the decision. The alternative venue are inferior to our venue and also far away which means headache of finding new suppliers re booking our family accommodation. We just feel like if we cannot have everyone in June. A break and re plan in a few years time. We have lost the excitement and our venue has just been very unhelpful and dishonest since the first re arranging. We just know we have a fight so really looking forward to the announcement next week and the 8th of March. Both my parents are abroad one in South Africa and the other the USA so running out of time to put visa applications in too. Fingers crossed I too will be celebrating at Easter. Stress free. ?
  • H
    Beginner May 2021 Hampshire
    Hayz ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hey, I'm in the same situation- if your venue is trying to keep your deposits I don't believe they can do that and if they try you can report them. I found the below really helpful to understand what our rights are:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wedding-services-coronavirus-covid-19-cancellations-and-refunds/wedding-services-affected-by-covid-19-statement-of-the-cmas-position-on-cancellation-and-refunds
    Stay positive everyone xx
  • Y
    Yvy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. I will look there is so much information available. I did read that the wedding industry hired a QC and they are contesting the CMA advice. Trying to remain positive. The road map will be announced soon and hopefully the conversations will be amicable with venues.
  • L
    Savvy June 2021 Mid Glamorgan
    Lovestoned21 ·
    • Hide content
    Hi everyone,

I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this too. With everything going on in the world, it wasn't something I wanted to discuss but it's refreshing to see that people do share my disappointment about (understandably) our weddings not going ahead as planned.
    We got engaged in July 2019 and although we didn't envisage a short engagement (I personally assumed that venues are booked up for years after what you see on films so thought we would have to wait like 2 years), once we started looking and putting skeleton ideas in place, it all kind of snowballed and the venue was booked within a couple of months of being engaged and I had bought my gorgeous dress! (first dress shop I went to - I am definitely an impulse decision maker, but the dress is lush!)
    We booked a venue for June 2020 and had started inviting everyone and all of the suppliers were booked. The only thing that needed sorting was to do the table plans and make some of the decorations and the place settings and also the alterations to mine and the bridesmaids' dresses.
    Then COVID-19 struck and I was getting emails and calls from the venue saying I need to get wedding insurance. I hadn't realised it was even that serious at that point. The venue said if we postpone to later in the year and can show we have insurance, then they will give us credit towards some optional extras (such as fairy lights, a beer station, extra wine in the table etc). So we postponed to September 2020.
    We found it a bit annoying but we hadn't long been engaged, the groom's sister wouldn't have been able to come from Australia and to be honest, we are just really laid back and see the silver lining (mine was lush I can start really exercising and lose some weight for the big day!)
    Then September wad approaching and things didn't really seem like they were going to be changing. The venue had recently started performing weddings again and they seemed keen for us to have ours. We decided to postpone, which was lucky as our county in Wales went into a local lockdown the week before the wedding was meant to be!
    We've postponed to June 14th this year, with the venue updating us on an 8 week rolling basis. Although I didn't mind too much last year, I'm a bit gutted that we could have the wedding but without the celebration afterwards. Of course the main thing is just us two being married but we wouldn't have spent all the money on a gorgeous venue and I wouldn't have spent hours planning the little details if we had known that the pandemic would still be rife. It just seems a bit bittersweet if that makes sense? We have said we won't postpone again, even if the sister from Australia can't make it and to be honest, a wedding with fewer guests is a bit gutting but it is what it is. It's the celebration afterwards. We had planned our music and we adore music so much. We wanted a band and Aw it's just sad isn't it! But the reason we aren't postponing again is we want to start a family.
    One thing I've been doing, which I don't know if anyone else can relate to, is changing my mind about things, such as place settings, buying more presents for the bridal party, just generally spending more money. Which is so ridiculous! I'm definitely someone who is helped by retail therapy, so I think that's why I do this.
    In general though we haven't really thought much about the wedding. It's something we should be soo excited about but nope! It just seems like another day at the moment because we don't even know if it will be able to go ahead.
    It's really sad that all of our days are being affected, but make sure you work on keeping yourselves healthy - physically and mentally. If the wedding can happen, then amazing! If not, it will happen one day. If it can go ahead, but not as planned, then that's a shame but we will still have an amazing day and cherish the memories. One thing to think of is it will mean more money for travels after the wedding! If anyone is feeling really down, do something this weekend to cheer yourself up - not wedding related! I'm personally going to enjoy a tub of Ben and Jerry's with my handsome fiancé tonight Smiley smile
    Sorry for the essay. Thoughts and cwtches to you all xoxo
  • R
    Beginner July 2021 West Yorkshire
    Rebecca ·
    • Hide content
    Good morning,

We are booked for the 19th of june, and wont go ahead with less than 60. we have everythibg ready to go and if we cant do it that date we will postpone to the soonest after. We are not sentimental about the date and feel like after the year we have all had we cant wait to be reunited with friends and family again so want to go ahead as soon as we can. fingers crossed we are looking possible for june but if not we have everything in place. My advice is get organised, get excited and be prepared to postpone if you have to but remember IT WILL HAPPEN SOON! xx
  • Y
    Yvy ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Hi Zara,

Thank you for your message and the contact details. We will definitely be contacting them. It's just been so stressful fighting with the venue for what is rightfully ours. They have thousands of our money and have suggested keeping £4k and refunding the remainder. It's just been a nightmare than I have been put off ever organising a wedding ever. They have said the alternative would be to just rebook a new date but how do you even stomach trusting such people with such an important day after going through this ordeal. We will certainly give them a ring.
    Thank you. ?
  • Z
    Dedicated June 2021 West Midlands
    Zara ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Awh I'm really sorry to hear that hun, I completely understand as I was in the same situation with my venue, it was an absolute nightmare then I came across DRS and they helped me loads! I feel so relieved not stressing over my wedding anymore and the fact that I got my money back.

I feel so sorry for others like us that are in the same situation so I'm just trying to help them too as I've managed to find a way out of this horrible mess. If it works out for you then you can help others too.
    Best of luck hun x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics